Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Hawkeye posted:

I've been told i'm best off finding a Realtor to assist in finding a place to live in Boston.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a realtor or how to best find one?

House or apartment? What area are you looking for? If you're thinking Cambridge/Somerville apartments, try http://apartmentx.com/ -- that's how I got the place I'm moving into now, and I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Ashcans posted:

Well, for 'Am I going to get stabbed' the answer is Spotcrime. Disclaimer: if you live in a city, you are probably going to have crime around you. Deal with it. You can also look at the details of events, sometimes something is categorized as a 'Shooting' and the report is 'Well someone called 911 and said they hear gunshots, but we never found anything so whatever'.

Another good tool is WalkScore. The intent of this is to show you how 'walkable' your area is, but it basically aggregates all sorts of stuff and throws them up on a map, so it can give you a decent sense of the areas character. For example, are the five closest coffee shops Dunkin Donuts? Or are they amusingly named indy shops?

If you want more details about a specific city than that, you can probably find a thread for them and just ask people. Or, you can visit your local library, because there are tons of books like 'Moving to Seattle' and 'Understanding Tacoma' that will give you little blurbs about areas. Obviously check the date on these because what was true in 1998 is not going to be the case any more.

walkscore.com is pretty darned good, especially if you're interested in being able to walk place instead of having to drive there (duh).

I haven't had very good luck with "Relocating to X"-type books, though. You're not going to get brutal honesty, and you're not going to get opinions that will be terribly helpful for you. (At least, I haven't.) The best info I've found is on forums like this one (I've seen moving/relocating forums; those could also be useful), where people can informally talk about their subjective opinions of various areas.