Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
It's timely to see PotatoMasher's advice about sorting/throwing stuff out as I've been doing it all year. I've recyled or donated almost half of 16 years of accumulation. In addition to being a smart idea for moving, it also feels drat good!

I'm anticipating a cross-country move from a house into an apartment. I'll be putting maybe 1/2 of the stuff into storage until I'm ready to buy another house in a few years.

While I've used rentals to move myself in-state, I'm intimidated by the idea of driving one cross country with a car in tow. My plan is to use either an interstate moving service or a pod service.

I presume the pod service would be cheaper, but generally by how much? And are there any "gotchas" about them vs. moving companies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Edit: Nevermind

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
Any recommendations for good mattress bags? The few I saw on Amazon had less than stellar reviews.

I'll be moving across country and my bed will likely be in some kind of storage for about a month, so I'd something to protect for that long. I'm thinking something thick (3+ mils?) with a good way to seal (zipper would be fine) and possibly handles.

What comes close to that?

Also, any opinions of U-Pack moving (http://www.upack.com)? I like the idea of packing my own trailer but not having to drive it. I looked into PODS but they don't deliver to my destination.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
I'm going to be moving from a house that I own into an apartment in a different state. In many of the rental listings, I see a request/requirement for rental references. Even if I can remember the name of the company I last rented from, it was over 6 years ago.

What's an equivalent documentation that a typical landlord might accept that I could prepare for?

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
Last night for about 30 minutes there was an amazingly loud hum in my living room that sounded like it came from a diesel truck idling outside my window. It was almost painfully loud.

Tonight it started up again. It was hard to pinpoint exactly where it was coming from so I tried my upstairs neighbor. The sound was coming from a small foot bath that was on a towel on top of her carpeted living room.

She's a great neighbor so there's no problem there (she's going to look for another way to muffle it) but I'm simply amazed at the power of that footbath and the acoustics through her floor into my living room. Other than the occasional loud chopping from her kitchen, I never hear noise from her apartment, so I hesitate to blame it on the acoustics our poorly designed apartments.