Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
I'm in the military and move a lot, so here is my experience. While this is specific to the military, they only use civilian contractors so it's always Mayflower or whomever else is in the area. Both my moves were over 1500 miles.

You will call ahead and set up a date to move, and give them an alternate date. From there, they will ask for additional information:

* How many lbs of stuff are you moving? Since nobody knows the weight of all their crap, they have guidelines for "a typical large/medium/small living room weighs this" etc.

* How far are you moving?

* What are the high value objects? They will give you a price/weight range, like $1000 or $100 per lb.

Depending on how much stuff you have, they will either pack and move in one day, or spend the first day packing, and come back the second day to haul it off.

On moving day, they will show up with a guy in charge, and 1-5 helpers. The master guy will have a giant roster and tons of little stickies with numbers to put on everything. They will disassemble all your furniture, pack it into boxes, and duct tape all the screws/assembly parts together. Then, they will put more numbers on it. The master guy will come around with his giant roster and record the numbers and what they correspond to - for example you will see an orange '576' sticker on your Hoover vacuum cleaner, and on the sheet he will write "576 - HOOVER VACUUM CLEANER". The numbers will be sequential in order, so you'll have blocks 312-972. On large items, they will use multiple stickers and put them in random places.

On a separate sheet of paper and with separate labels, they will ask you to list all the high value items, and will pack those separately.

The movers will provide all the boxes, and padding for inside the boxes. They have special ones for hanging clothes. Once they load it into the truck, the guy in charge give you a copy of everything, (contact pricing, master roster, high value roster and a phone number for all the details. After that, they all drive off and give you a call when everything is ready for drop off. If you aren't ready to receive it, they will throw it in storage, and after some time, start charging you for it.

Upon removal, they can either unpack/reassemble everything, or let you do it. They will go down the list and must account for every sticky that was used, and you sign off that you have received everything and it is in the same condition it was packed in. If it isn't, there is a sheet that you will out with damage, and estimated value, and work through the company for reimbursement.

Notes: If they unpack/reassemble everything, it will cost extra. To remove all the boxes and padding will cost extra as well.

Do not allow them to label any boxes as "Miscellaneous." There is no accountability if things are lost or damaged. Be as specific as you can on whats being numbered and tagged.

You will be finding the numbered stickies on everything for months after you're done moving, maybe even years.

If you're going to be moving vehicles/boats, everything has to be drained from the system. When I had my motorcycle shipped, all fluids had to be drained. They buckled it to my satisfactory (I was watching them like a hawk) and then threw more colored stickies on it.

I always have Gatorade for the movers. Why not treat them nice if they're packing your poo poo?

xaarman fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 13, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU