Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I haven't read the whole thread yet, it's only 8 pages, so I'll be getting to it after I finish this post, apologies if any of this has been repeated.

First off, my current situation. Earlier this month I discovered that I can get paid a lot more for what I do somewhere else (I hate this town as is), and in a different industry (not aircraft), so I'm doing the only logical thing and skip town.

I have to sign a new lease today on my current apartment (more on that later). I have obligations keeping me here until at least Mid-May, so I'll be signing a 6 month lease which will take me to the end of June, if I have to stay longer (which I might be until October, depending on some other circumstances) I'll just go with a month to month lease to avoid having to pay off the rest of my lease all at once.

My main concerns with finding a new apartment are as such:

A few years ago I was unemployed, and as a result my credit rating is in the toilet.

At the moment I've been in my apartment for 6 years. It's the only apartment I've lived in so far. In the last month or two it appears that we've gotten a new manager, I had a good relationship with the old manager, and was surprised to find new management when I went in earlier this week to ask why I hadn't received a renewal notice yet.

I guess I'm wondering if my leasing plan is a good idea (they didn't even give me any of my renewal information until yesterday, and I have to sign today, so I didn't get a chance to really mull it over), and if my credit and lack of relationship with the current management will be a hindrance to moving?

I was going to ask about moving to a new city but it looks like Ashcans answered that one already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Eggplant Wizard posted:

That'll be a good start, yep.

This may be more on the E/N side of things, but before you sign a lease, make sure you're both clear on how payment for things is going to be divided (50/50? Does one of you make more than the other and want to pay more? etc.). Don't let it just work itself out. Another thing to do is talk about household chores. And this is pretty pessimistic, but JUST IN CASE poo poo doesn't work out, I wouldn't hurry to give away the extra TV or other expensive items. You may also find that one of you really really their your couch and wants to keep it, and the other person hates it and can't wait to never see it again. So be prepared.

It might also go super well with no hiccups! It can happen!

I'm going to recommend treating it like a roommate situation at first. So get a second bedroom for that first year, you'll need your own space from time to time. If one of you has a couch with a hide-a-bed, put that in there so it can double as a rumpus room and guest bedroom. Put your extra (inferior) TV, dresser, what have you in there.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

As for the wall damage, unless you do a really good job the leasing company is gonna be more upset that they have to undo your repair and re-do it than just fixing it themselves. So the other two are up to your personal handyman abilities.

I'm curious about this. I have a bunch of little nail holes, and a dent in one wall that's about 2" x 2", I was planning to Spackle them and call it good.

There's also some scratched on a door frame from when my cat was still a kitten, I was planning to get one of those sets of grease pens for touching up wood scratches.

I'm not in dire need of doing either at the moment as I've signed my lease until the end of July. Also, at the end of my lease, I'll have been here for 6 1/2 years, if that makes any kind of difference. :ohdear:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

vonnegutt posted:

Does anyone have any ideas on how to hide/disguise a modem and router? Due to my old-rear end apartment the only place with a decent hookup is my bedroom and having all the wires and crap everywhere is ruining my bedside table.

Zip-tie all the wires together to make one cable?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ashcans posted:

That's basically why all apartments have terrible ratings. The management ones tend to get noticed and culled, and anyone else rating tends to be someone with an axe to grind or a legitimately horrendous experience. People who just lived there and it was fine don't bother to post a review.

I mostly gave up on ratings after I noticed how many reviewers talked about how the place used to be nice until THOSE PEOPLE started moving in and now its all gone downhill with drugs and hookers and western civilization is collapsing.

Pretty much, my apartment is quiet, safe, and peaceful, management was pretty good (still unsure of new management, as problems are really rare, and I haven't had to get them involved in anything yet), and a decent price for what it is, but the reviews are absolutely scathing.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Butt Wizard posted:

You should factor in how much it would cost you in food, hotels, etc. and time you'll have to take off work, as well. Your sanity is also a consideration. Basically it's up to you.

People often pay others to drive their cars long distances like this, but you'd have to find someone you can trust.

I drove my car out from Seattle to Kansas 9 years ago in 3 days. I thought it was kinda fun actually, but then again I like to drive.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
So, I took a good hard look at my finances, and with my unemployment ending in early November, it looks like I'm going to have to pull a Costanza and move back in with my parents. I'm thinking I could go as soon as the end of August, but more likely it'll be the end September.

I'd be staying in my parent's guest bedroom, so I have some furniture I'd have to store. My mattress would be the big one, it's almost 8 years old, but still in decent shape. I don't really want to get rid of it, but I also don't know if I could or should store it in their attic or workshop for a long period of time.

I also have a leather recliner, I wouldn't be very sad to part with it as I hardly use it, but since my couch isn't in good enough shape to keep, it would be nice to have when I move back out. I'm not sure though if they'd have a space for it either unfortunately.

At least my tables and chairs, and headboard should be easy enough to store, take the legs off and wrap 'em in plastic.

So, I'm 50/50 torn on if I should just get rid of the matress and recliner or if I should attempt to store them. On top of that, I don't even know how I could go about storing them.

I just have to keep telling myself I'll only be two hours from Baltimore. :smithicide:

Any advice?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ConfusedUs posted:

Of course a mattress store would tell you to chuck your mattress every few years.

If it's still comfortable, not stained, doesn't smell, and doesn't have bugs...why would you get rid of it?

Yeah, that's pretty much my logic, I'm guessing mattress bag with a really good duct-tape seal would be the best way to handle it. I'm just concerned about storing these things in an uninsulated building, and I'm not really sure if there is room for it.

I haven't had a chance to discuss these things with my family yet as there's been a funeral going on this weekend and I can't get a hold of anyone. They might not have room for it with my dresser and table and chairs. They did tell me that I could live with them right after I got laid off, so I know I can, it's just the logistics of it all.

This is all very stressful.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Meeper posted:

Are you in a cold environment or hot environment? Humid or dry? If it's going to approach humid or hot at all, do NOT use a mattress bag, the condensation on the inside of the bag will lead incredibly quickly to mold growth. When we store mattresses, we just wrap them in our storage blankets.

Uh, not really sure, it's not coastal Maryland, but maybe 20 to 30ish minutes from water, so it'll probably be semi-humid.

So, I talked to my parents about it, and they told me I have to put my stuff in a storage locker. I've used one before (decided $90/mo was too expensive for crap I wasn't really needing) and know they have a tendency to have rodent issues, so I'm kinda nervous about storing soft things like mattresses and blankets there.

It's starting to feel like I should just skip town and leave everything behind.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I've decided to just sell the majority of my stuff when I move next month. I'm pretty much just keeping my CDs, DVDs, a few important books, tool box, Warhams, a few hard to find board games, TV, Xbox, Bluray Player, laptop, clothes, and a few small display items and knickknack type things. Sadly I do not think these will fit into my car.

My CDs, and DVDs are pretty important to me so I'm not ditching the cases, but I've manages to fit all but a few oddballs and boxed sets into six shipping boxes (approx 10 x 16 11, 65lb limit) I got from the retail place I work at.

I figure the board games, smaller books, and Warhams will be the easiest things to ship, probably taking up one box each. I don't want to ship the CDs as the majority of them are limited, rare, hard to find, out of print, import, etc.

I figure that with the DVDs I'd have to double the number of boxes to six. Add an extra box for good measure, that's about 10 boxes.

I don't know exactly what I'm asking, but any advice on how to ship these kind of things?

EDIT:

Oh yeah, how should I go about selling my other stuff?

Tomorrow, I'm going to start cataloging it and taking pictures. I know it should be easy to do small stuff with eBay, but first round goes to Facebook to see if anyone I know wants it. After that be eBay for smaller things (then Craigslist if that doesn't pan out), and Craigslist for bigger things, followed by Goodwill. If I had a house there would be a garage sale in there somewhere. If I wasn't trying to put together money to buy new furniture when I get back out, I'd just drop it all off at Goodwill.

Iron Crowned fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Aug 21, 2012

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Feast of Burden posted:

Try the SA-Mart, if you haven't exhausted that option.

nope, not yet, I do have a 60 gallon tub full of Lego.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

TunaSpleen posted:

Depends on what the pillow's stuffed with. If it's polyester fiber stuffing, then wash away! You might be drying it longer than usual to get the inside thoroughly dry, but it'll also be super fluffy again when it comes out. I wouldn't risk washing something with actual feathers in it in case they react badly.

I actually sleep with this pillow (Don't judge! I study freshwater fish!) and it gets its own load, some detergent, cold water, delicate setting if available. Dry on low heat. Then sneak up on fiance and whack him in the head with a 4' stuffed trout.

That pillow is awesome! I really want one, sadly I think I'll be waiting until I get back out on my own before I do that.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

thizzin forever posted:

Roaches everywhere.

If you like reptiles, get an iguana. I worked with someone who occasionally would tell me about the apartment he lived in and his roommate's iguana got out one day and went to town on them.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Doghouse posted:

We've been living in an apartment in Baltimore and after a terrible bug problem, it's become infested with mice. Te exterminators have come over and over, there are traps set all over, etc etc.

Thankfully they are letting us leave and we have a place for January 1st. But recently it's gotten so bad that my wife is freaking out and feels that she cannot live here, even for one night, much less 5 weeks. What the heck do I do, goons?

It's not the cheapest option, but you can stay in an extended stay hotel. I just moved to a new city and the apartment I have lined up doesn't open until mid-December, I've been here about 3 weeks now.

It's not the greatest situation, as it's like living in a shoebox, but I imagine that it's better than living in a terribly infested place. You can move all your poo poo into storage, or treat it like you're moving across country, and only keep the important things (although depending on what it is, you may still need storage, just less of it).

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm moving into my new apartment mid-December, and I'll be literally starting over with nothing. Furniture is an issue as I just moved to a new city and don't know anyone yet, so I won't be getting any hand-me-downs. What's a good place/way to piece meal some decent furniture together as I can afford it?

There's also the music problem. I had to give up my 18 year old stereo because it wouldn't fit in my car, so I'm going to need some tunes first and foremost. The problem is these days, stereos consist of an ipod dock with speakers, the other ones just seem to be way too much for an apartment.

I also considered buying a surround system, but they all seem to come built in with either a DVD or Blu-Ray player, and I don't need one of those. Being able to listen to a CD or the radio these days seems to be going by the wayside. :smith:

TL;DR: I need some cheap but decent furniture, and a way to listen to CDs and/or the Radio at 31.

Anne Whateley posted:

I got a place of my own at 25 and I love it. It's pricier than having a roommate, but I did a lot of scouting, and I wound up with a place I love for only a few hundred more. Living by myself is fantastic -- I couldn't like it more. But I have friends who would go nuts if they were alone for five minutes.

Yeah, living by yourself is great!

Don't feel like wearing pants? Don't!

Want to attempt to fry some ramen with so much siracha and other hot peppers that it's like a riot grenade went off in the kitchen? No one will bitch about it!

Sexy time with the ugliest girl at the bar? No one will know!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Super Dude posted:

I can use it however I want as long as it's for the process of moving my stuff. One thing I was considering was selling off my furniture and bed, packing up my remaining items (clothes, pictures, tv, computer,etc) and shipping it through Fedex or whatever to my friend's place in Charlotte.

That's pretty much what I did, got rid of all the big stuff and about 31 years of crap I've collected over the years. Everything I own fits in my car +15 boxes and a TV (currently stored at my parents house due to the fact that I moved originally I didn't have a job, it was pretty helpful when I had to move again for a job).

I've been in an extended stay hotel for a month now, and I move into my new apartment on the 15th.

I recommended it actually, because it could take longer than two weeks to find a good place to live let alone move in there. I assume you won't be shipping everything to your parents house, so you could just get a small storage locker if you reduce everything to a small enough amount.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

canyoneer posted:

You're on the right track here. For a single super dude, I'm assuming you don't have a lot of super nice things. It doesn't make a lot of sense to spend $1800 to move $500 worth of furniture. You'd do better selling it all locally and buying it again in NC.

Also, if you've never made a cross-country drive across the United States before, it's sort of a neat experience.

That's what I did, couldn't find a viable solution moving from Wichita, Kansas to middle of nowhwere Maryland. I shipped 10 boxes of DVDs/Books to my parents, took about 5 boxes and literally stuffed my car to the brim and drove.

As for the cross country drives, depends on the situation. When I drove from Seattle to Kansas 9 years ago, it was amazing, then again I had a suitcase as a passenger, that was amazing. So was the trip I made to Chicago a few years back.

KS to MD sucked big time. I left much later than I had planned, and a big thunderstorm started moving through the area, and my cat was freaking out the whole time. I made it to Mt. Vernon, Il, my cat still wasn't settling down, still wasn't eating, and didn't use the litter box.

After a few hours of restless sleep, the situation hadn't changed, and I checked out at about 4 am, with the plan to punch all the way through that day. That was probably one of the bigger mistakes I had made, it was pitch black for the next few hours until I hit Louisville and the sun came up, and fighting the urge to fall asleep.

My cat had settled down finally, so once I passed the storm at about Lexington, I got to enjoy the beautiful scenery of Eastern Kentucky and West Virginia. The only thing I would have done differently for that leg was wait about two weeks to see all the leaves changing colors. By the time I made it to Beckley, WV it was about 1 in the afternoon and I was exhausted so I checked into a hotel and passed the gently caress out.

The next day wasn't too bad, more West Virginia and Western Virginia scenery. The worst part was Google Maps took me through some middle of nowhere roads, looked great, but I'd never want to live that far from civilization.

A month ago I moved from Maryland to Cincinnati. The Pennsylvania Turnpike was pretty great, Sandy had just moved through like two days earlier and there was snow all about. Really the two parts that sucked the most this time around were driving though both DC and Columbus during rush hours.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I got my new apartment yesterday, and it definitely has a few quirks from it's age. I'm guessing the building itself was built in the late 60's due to the style of the cabinets in my kitchen, which weren't updated when the rest of apartment was.

The entrance and bedroom light switches don't appear to be wired to anything. I'm guessing that the kitchen had a garbage disposal at one point, but flipping the switch several times revealed that the beeping noise was coming from my dishwasher. The odd thing is all the switch plates appear to be new :psyduck:

I got wired for Fios yesterday and we couldn't find the phone jack, turns out it was hidden behind the only coaxial plate in the place, which wasn't even hooked up. The tech told me after looking at the wires that there should be another hook up somewhere in there. :psyduck:

The weirdest part for me was the floor plan was flipped. It wasn't left right flipped like I would normally expect, the entrance was on the opposite wall. It's really not so bad as it gives me much more openness to the living area, but it does throw out all the plans I had come up with, and my accent wall is now not visible from the entrance.

I really can't complain though, I have a third floor south facing corner unit. The windows are from within the last 10 years, and I'm guessing are pretty efficient due to the fact that it's very toasty in there with no heat on, I get a great cross breeze when I open the windows in the middle of December. The stove has been used but is also less than a decade old, as is the refrigerator. The dishwasher smells brand new.

Really the biggest issue is storage, luckily there is a Container store nearby :3:

Dominoes posted:

I've mostly decided on Place B. Why did houses built before the 90s have such easily-correctable, impractical fixture designs? Along these lines, not clearly demonstrated by these two places, why is having spacious kitchens, bathrooms, and bedrooms, and open common areas only common on modern average-sized houses? I looked at a lot of houses today that I didn't like, and they often were large overall, but had cramped bedrooms, bathrooms, and kitchens. The space was taken up by generic rooms.

I'm not an expert at this in any fashion, but I suspect that a combination of technology limitations and the style of the times. At this point it's the landlord's choice.

From what I've gathered prior to the existence of suburbs, you either lived in the city or the country, and stayed there. Post WWII brought about some interesting developments that created the modern housing we all know. This is the time that brought about the notorious housing projects. The concept behind the projects was to bring the poor in from remote areas to work in the cities where they thought there would be good jobs.

I won't go into too much detail about the Housing Projects as that really is better left for another thread with someone who knows more than I do. What happened instead was that the expansions of the US Highway system allowed industries to easily move outside of the cities. This also allowed people to move outside of the cities where the suburb was born. The suburb allowed people to follow the American Dream[post]TM[/post] and own their own home, there were also racist undertones because of the Housing Projects.

I suspect that's why you see a lot of houses from the 60's with odd layouts. Looking at the plans you'll notice that 40's and 50's houses were smaller because they were mostly near the cities in smaller or narrower lots (probably a leftover from shotgun houses), when the 60's hits, the houses skew larger, but they have living rooms, family rooms, walled off dining rooms, etc., it's as if architects at the time didn't really know what to do with so much space for living. It really wasn't until the 70's that housing starts to open up the way we know it today.

One thing I will say that I do like about older houses is they weren't designed with modern technology in mind, so they have large windows placed for daytime lighting, airflow during summer, and free heating during winter. This seemed to fall out of vogue during the 90's because air-conditioning is expected and windows weren't energy efficient yet, so windows got really small and almost non-existent.

Anyway, I could be talking out my rear end since I'm not an expert on any of this.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Anne Whateley posted:

Place A seems so much better that it's weird you're going with B for the sake of a few minor things. Why not take A and then spend maybe $150 and half an hour on swapping out the shower fixture and faucets? Couldn't be easier. Stick the old stuff in the back of a closet and swap back when you move out.

It seems weird to me, with how talked up Place A is, and how Place B sounds so lackluster. Judging by the writing patterns, Place A is awesome, especially if he's looking for a bachelor pad. Hell, he might be able to talk the landlord into working on some improvements.

Anne Whateley posted:

As for the seat-making GBS threads, you're on your own, though. I don't want to know details but I suspect that's a goon thing rather than a size thing. I grew up in a 1920s house, my family (women included) ranges from 5'9" to 6'6", and it's never been an issue. I never knew it could be an issue.

Yeah that one is especially weird. I don't understand how anyone could poo poo all over the back of a toilet. My last apartment and this one have "short" toilets, I've never had any issues.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Dominoes posted:

I had a smaller toilet bowl last year. Never actually clipped the seat, but I prefer the modern style of larger toilets. I liked both places and would be happy in either. They're very close to work and have reasonable rent. A's 2000' sq, B's 1000'. I have a choice between having lots of space, quirky architecture and a nicer view, or having a generic modern place with clean walls/carpet that has a kitchen and bathrooms that won't stress me out.

I'm going to go through a busy, stressful training program and am being conservative with that in mind. Place A might work out well, or it could turn into a headache. I don't think I need more space than B has.

Ideally I'd like to wait and see what other listings open up, but if these two get rented in the meanwhile, I may be out of luck.

OK, first I'll give you a word of advice to keep in mind for next time. When asking for help or advice from goons, hyperbole is never a good idea. We tend to take it at face value and think that you poo poo all over toilets on a regular basis.

Second, the decision is ultimately up to you. The way you wrote about Place A sounds like you really liked it, but as you keep writing it seems more issues come to light. I'd suggest talking to the landlord and see if you can get them to make a few improvements for you. It does sound like an older place so you may be SOL on a larger toilet due to space, and there's no point in replacing the stove and fridge until they break, but new fixtures and a paint job should be pretty easy.

Third and this is all my opinion at this point, but it is a bachelor pad you're looking for a deck and great view of the pond are pretty impressive features that I'd think would trump the drawbacks. Not to mention twice the space! You mentioned a walk in closet for one of the bedrooms, it could also be used as a work space for hobbies, a work out room, or you can hide all your animes in there.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Burger Crime posted:

So I moved into a new apartment about a month and a half ago but I have been too busy with school to buy furniture at all. Now I have time but I am not sure what aesthetic look I want or what would fit with the room.

Any suggestions are appreciated. I don't have a set budget for this I am guessing $2000-3000 for both rooms but I can afford more if necessary.

The living room is http://imgur.com/kZKd8

Dining area is http://i.imgur.com/x0vEU

Off to the side of the living room I have a small study that is unfurnished as well.

If you don't mind used furniture and have a Cort Clearance Center nearby, that's a good option for your price range.

Basically they rent furniture, but when it's at the end of the life cycle for rental, they sell it. They have package plans where you get 21 pieces of furniture for a bedroom, dining room, and living room.

The plans locally were $1300, $1500, and $2000, the higher priced plans just meant nicer stuff. It's not the greatest furniture, but it's good starter furniture, especially if you don't have anything. The only real problem is that the selection is kind of limited, but you do have some mix and match options.

I did it this week partially because my parents muscled me into borrowing money for it from them, and partially because they had a round table available in the $1300 package. I'm not too thrilled about the couch and chair I'm getting, but it was much more comfortable than the other option I had. At least I won't be sleeping on the floor anymore.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

So I found this

Is this a legitimate thing? Enough boxes for a 3 bedroom apartment plus packing supplies for $100? I could barely buy 15 large boxes for that price when I was moving last time, much less all the bubble wrap and packing paper and tape. It's sort of setting off my "too good to be true" senses but drat that's a good deal. Maybe they're just really lovely boxes or something?

Just go to the mall and ask for boxes, retail will be more than happy not to have to lug them out to the compactor. You'll mostly get the small to medium boxes, but if you're there on a shipment day you could nab some large ones too.

U-haul sells tape dirt cheap, and scissors work well enough if you don't have the tape gun. you can also get the packing stuff there too.

Problem solved for under $20.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Monthly or weekly pest control is a good thing. It doesn't mean you should expect problems, just that they have a program there to prevent and/or respond to problems.

I agree. My apartment has quarterly treatments, but the exterminator is at the complex every Monday. Then again my complex has 8 buildings with approximately 54 units per building.

Also, I estimate that my complex was built in the 40's or 50's. More recently it was apparently a shithole up until about 3 years ago when the current owners bought it and started flipping the place. From what I gathered there used to be a huge problem with just about any insect pest you can think of, as well as mold issues. Oh and apparently one of the buildings burnt to the ground at one point. I discovered all these things when trying to figure out why a complex of this size was built out in an area that was apparently pretty backwater until the last 20ish years.

As for my experiences, aside from a creaky floor that has a couple of uneven spots the biggest pests I've seen are a housefly that my cat quickly ate, and people from the local baptist church prosthelytizing door to door every couple of weeks.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get rid of babtists? I know pest control can't treat for them.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Yeahh... I thought about that, and yeah it's overpainted probably, but it's weird how MUCH it changes and how randomly. The frame itself is metal; only the door is wooden. It's winter. It's not humid. It does get quite hot in our apartment (yay included utilities! boo it's 80 degrees in here!) so maybe the bad times have only been when we haven't had the bedroom window open or something. It is possible. The maintenance man is coming over today to have a look at it. If it weren't for the big fuckoff cracks in the wall I'd have stuck with what you say too.

Metal has a high thermal transfer rate, and it's probably expanding and contracting on top of the door swelling. I do feel your pain with included utilities, it's snowing otuside and I have to keep my windows open to keep it below 80.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
It turns out that the neighbor beneath me is a giant rear end in a top hat.

His friends come over frequently and yell at each other until about 4am and I assume gave a Royal Rumble. After several complaints from me (and apparently other tenants), he finally got his first warning notice. I know about the notice because I found it crumpled up at the bottom of the stairs.

So, in retaliation he waited until just after midnight last night to turn up his stereo as loud as it goes. I called the cops. They spotted the cop car on the way up and shut it off before he got there. It got real quiet after some bewildered shouting about someone calling the cops.

I complained again today, the manager wasn't available, but I was told all they can do is call him.

At this point is there anything else I can do other than call the cops and complain every time?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Shooting Blanks posted:

Someone recommend some sheets to me. I'm looking in the $80-$100 range for nice sheets, hopefully that's enough. I know I'm not going to get any true 1000TC Egyptian cotton whatever for that price, but I'm hoping for something that will last for a few years. FWIW, I live in a warmer climate (Houston), so anything that breathes well would be a plus.

If you don't mind waiting around, Woot throws up sheets occasionally. I got some 800TC for $40 a while back, I've seen 1000TC for about $60 on there before.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Anyone have any ideas for some low cost shelving that won't fall apart if you look at it wrong. I'm kinda tired of my books and DVDs just being in piles along walls. I would also like to take my CDs out of boxes.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CaptainJuan posted:

How willing are you to steal milk crates?

Considering I'm a few weeks away from 33, I want something that looks more presentable.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

demozthenes posted:

Are you handy? You can build shelves very easily with planks and pipe from the hardware store. You can wall-mount them or make free-standing ones (although you'll want to secure any tall free-standing units to the wall somehow).

That's actually a slick looking design. I was starting to consider just building some. The problem I have is I don't particularly care for the design/layout of most shelves I've seen. I did like one from ikea, but they didn't make it in the size that would work best for me.

EDIT:

The biggest downside would be the fact that I live in an appartment.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

RabbitMage posted:

That looks like a speaker underneath, so my guess is it's an old intercom sort of thing. It may have let you buzz guests in, once upon a time.

Yeah, older apartments are rife with superfluous leftovers. My current apartment has two switches that do nothing, and my dishwasher is wired to a switch that was probably for a garbage disposal at one time.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ladyweapon posted:

Ask your local DMV about the plates. I drove my car from California to Kansas, my plates expired, and they would not let me register my car in KS without it having legal California plates first. California requires smog checks intermittently, so that may have been the issue (it was 5+ years ago, details are fuzzy).

Kansas to Ohio. Ohio requires a title. Kansas has a digital title thing, and getting them to send that is like pulling teeth. I had to go through three temporary tags ($20 a piece) to get mine.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
:lol: Comcast does what Comcast wants, just cancel it and get an antenna.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Seriously where do you guys live that a neighbor's washing machine is disruptive?

I mean my apartment is 20 years old and has identical floor plans stacked on top of each other, so laundry rooms are directly on top of each other. Even the apartment next door has a slightly different mirrored floor plan so the laundry room is next to my laundry room. I can't even tell that mine is running with the door closed.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
You know, that if you don't like having upstairs neighbors, you can always become the upstairs neighbor :getin:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Maybe it's not a washing machine

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

isndl posted:

If it's just a vehicle you need, probably get a U-Haul or similar. If you need someone to help in addition to the vehicle, probably a U-Haul and a couple beers for whichever friend you can rope into the job.

I roped my friend's son into helping me move the big things in his truck, got it all in one run too because I don't have a lot of big things.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Teeter posted:

Carpet cleaning question:

From what I've read, the rug doctor rentals from home improvement stores aren't really worthwhile and if you need a carpet cleaned it's best to go with a professional using a truck unit. Thing is, I'm in a second story apartment unit with no elevator access. Would they even be able to get to my bedroom, and if they had to use a mobile unit then is it a problem to not have an elevator?

The carpet in question is also about 100 ft² max, with only half of it in bad shape. With this little carpet to clean, is it worthwhile to hire a service or are there any other suggestions?

I haven't used one myself, but I've seen them either take the hose all the way up the stairs, or go through the balcony or window (my old apartment had units flooding on the 3rd floor all the time)

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Farchanter posted:

For the last couple days, our landlord has had a contractor replace the roof on our townhouse complex. Today must have been our day to get work done, because we just got home tonight to find about a dozen places in our living room where nails had been punched through our ceiling.

I just wrote our landlord's office to complain and attached pictures like this, but what should my next steps be?

Those don't look like nails being punched through the ceiling, because it looks like the head of a nail.

Nails work themselves out over time, and it seems like the vibration of the roof work has caused them to work their way through the finish of your ceiling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

sim posted:

Well I can't believe it, but a BBB complaint actually did some good.

Lol

Back in the day when the 2nd generation Atari Lynx was new, there was some deal to get a free copy of the Batman Returns tie in game. Atari was refusing it, and my dad threatened a BBB complaint.

A few days later in the middle of a blizzard some mystery person rang our doorbell. Sitting there was a brown envelope containing a copy of Batman Returns for the Atari Lynx.