Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I'll be moving from Jacksonville, FL to Houston TX pretty soon. I don't have much stuff, and actually the only thing I can't fit in my car is my mattress. It's a fairly nice one, I think it cost about $600. I don't have any quotes on shipping it yet, but a preliminary google search seemed to reveal it might cost a few hundred dollars to ship. Has anyone shipped a mattress before? How much did it cost, and did you use a shipping company or a moving company? Any advice? Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Sell it and buy a new one when you get to Houston? If it's not old and gross and nice like you say it is it'll be an easy sell on craigslist and you can use the money you make off it towards a new one.

Alternatively, how big is your car? Do you have a roof rack? It'll suck but you can probably strap it onto the top. if your car has a tow hitch you could probably rent a little trailer from U-Haul and put it on there too. Otherwise you're kinda outta luck unless you can bribe a friend with a bigger car to caravan with you.

I sent in a quote request with transitsystems.com, a moving company, so we'll see what comes of that. Good idea on the trailer hitch though. Otherwise, yeah, might be wise to sell it.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Just got started in the apartment hunting game. Found the below link, was very excited, because craigslist really needed a map. WELL now Padmapper doesn't have craigslist listings anymore just in time for me, which naturally takes about two thirds of everything on their site. Are there any alternate map sites that include craigslist?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I just moved to a large city for the first time (Houston), and I'm beginning to discover that apartment hunting may be more competitive here than I bargained for. I've sent several emails in reply to posts on craigslist for apartments that went unanswered, even though it was a professional realtor person posting them. After one of them went unanswered, I saw the same posting reposted with a higher rent - I'm guessing because after the number of replies, they figured they could get more.

On Saturday a rental company is having open house for several of their properties. I really don't know what to expect, but I guess it's possible somebody could show up the first minute with a deposit check.

What really gets me is that the company has an "apply for this property" link on their website. You have to put down your check routing number and I think it charges you a $25 application fee. The idea that they could charge you a loving application fee for an apartment you may not even get is crazy. I don't even see how it's legal. Seems like the easiest scam on the planet. Why even rent real places when you can just charge application fees to desperate people looking for a roof?

Is there something more to this, or is this one of those "welcome to the big city" type things? Should I fill out an application and buy my $25 lottery ticket for the apartment being shown this weekend? Is that even expected?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Handsome Rob posted:

No. What areas are you looking at, and what types of properties? (The giant corporate complexes in Midtown? Garage apartments in Montrose?) Rents inside the loop are skyrocketing- things are more competitive than they were even a couple years ago. But there are so many places to live in this city you can find something reasonable. Try calling the realtors instead of emailing if they list a number, any decent company should.

Mostly Montrose four-plexes. Yeah, I'm not referring to the whole city. Worse comes to worse, I can get in an apartment complex easy, but I hate apartment complexes.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Getting out of a lease

Long story short, work isn't going so well. I think there is a possibility I could get fired soon despite my best efforts to be a productive employee. If this occurs, I'm not optimistic about my chances to get a similarly-paying job in a reasonable amount of time, and that will mean that I'm stuck paying for an apartment I can no longer afford. I've already called my property manager and he says the landlord doesn't allow subletting. Any ideas of how I could get out if I need to?

What would typically happen in a situation where I simply left? Would they come after me with a lawsuit somehow?

I live in Houston, TX if that helps at all.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Carbon Thief posted:

Generally you are responsible for the remainder of the rent owing under the lease, but only if the landlord cannot find anyone willing to rent the apartment. This TX tenant site says you cannot be penalized for breaking a lease early, but you might be charged a "reletting fee" to cover the landlord's expenses (e.g. painting, advertising, etc). Basically, talk to the landlord directly if you end up needing to move. Find out whether they would let you out of the lease with an extra month's rent.

How many months are left on your lease? Also, if you do end up losing your job, some welfare/benefits programs allow for emergency funds for rent or moving, but I don't know if Texas does.

Six months left on the lease, but I've already paid for March so it's five left I'm liable for. Thanks for the info and the link.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

What sites other than craigslist would anyone recommend to find rooms for rent, particular short-term or sublets? Are there decent city-specific sites for this out there?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Any resources/websites/apps that are known to have listings of month-to-month/temporary rentals, other than AirBnB (and sometimes Craigslist)?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I move out of my apartment in five days. I've so far done very little towards that end, and I feel like I will be lucky to have enough time just to get my stuff out, let alone clean it. There's marks on the walls from my bike, the painted-white inside of the cabinets is dirty from my pots and pans, the oven has a layer of carbon at the bottom and the bathroom is gross everywhere, not to mention a few small holes in the walls from termite damage (the termites ate the wood, and the paint that had covered that wood gave way). Bottom line is, it's not all getting done, or even close.

Fortunately my deposit was only a third of the rent, and I'm fine losing it. But at what point do they start coming after me for damages, or would they, if it's just a matter of cleaning? I know that's an absurdly generic question that depends on local laws and the whims of landlords, but maybe there's kind of a rule of thumb. This is in Tampa, if that helps.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Methanar posted:

I'm going to pack everything I own into my car and drive off into the sunset in a few weeks.

I'm going to a new city in a new state I've never been to before. Somebody give me pro tips on how to do this. Do I just drive over, live out of a motel for a few days while I apartment hunt?

Try furnished finder. It's designed for travelling nurses but I'm in one now. Typically the minimum rental period is three months but it can be less. And they're decent enough that it's usually fine to do it sight unseen

https://www.furnishedfinder.com/?a=login&returnurl=https://www.furnishedfinder.com/members/pm-dashboard

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

So I'm moving to a high rent city that nevertheless looks like it has quite a bit of apartment capacity downtown to fill. These are massive, corporate owned "luxury" complexes with studios and 1BRs that go for 1.7k to 2k+. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience cutting deals with places like these to get lower rent. Negotiation tactics, that kind of thing. I know this is America and renting an apartment isn't like buying a car (although I doubt haggling even plays much into car purchases anymore), but these places want bodies in rooms, I would assume. And this is a boomtown that if anything, is going to have people leaving if a recession hits next year.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Everyone loves exposed brick walls, right? :q:

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I am moving into an apartment that is merely partially furnished, for the first time in years. Since 2020, I've lived in a succession of fully furnished units. One reason is I just don't want the trouble of furnishing a home. There's too many options and I have a bad sense of interior design.

So now I have to pick out a bed and it's overwhelming. It's crazy how many kinds of mattresses there are now. I have to get a frame for it too. Box springs seem to be used less now. Are they needed, or were they ever? Any ideas on how to simplify these purchases.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

My inclination would be toward foam, not least because springs wear out. But the IKEA guide says that spring mattresses tend to feel cooler? I live in Florida so that's a big deal. I think I've had both kinds, couldn't say which was more comfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Not sure where to ask this, and the Dorkroom had little to say about it, but I've printed a bunch of my own photos, mostly 6x8 but also a really big pano, and I'm stuck on how to frame them. What color frame? Mat or no mat? Same frame for all the photos or mix it up? Hard to know what will look good.