Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Ghostsauce posted:

Any recommendations for ISP and HD TV bundles? I'm leaning towards fiber, and since I can't get FiOS i'm looking at UVerse.

See if you can get an internet-only package with unlimited data, or at least oodles of data. Cable is really really really overpriced in terms of what you use to what you pay for. Do you really need 135 channels when you only watch Discovery Channel, TNT and NBC?

I have seen people get a 3G or 4G cell phone with unlimited data (those plans exist) and then not get a single other utility. Netflix + patching your laptop through the phone is plenty and costs like $100 per month, whereas cable + land line + internet + cell phone can be much, much more.

What I'm trying to say is that you don't necessarily need the HDTV + HBO + Netflix + Fiber + Land line + Cell Phone plethora of entertainment utilities that everyone seems to assume they need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Comstar posted:

Also, whats the opinion on getting a washer-dryer, instead of two separate machines for washing clothes and then drying them? What about dryers that don't need a ventilation shaft and put all the evaporated water into a tub you empty manually?

On a related note, a washer/dryer at a garage sale or craigslist costs about the same as three months heavy laundromat usage. If you have the option and apartments are comparatively priced, a washer/dryer is much more economical.

Edit: \/\/ and much much less of a pain in the rear end.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 07:13 on May 19, 2011

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

One Sick Puppy posted:

This is a pretty awesome thread and very helpful, so I hope I'm not stepping out of line in bringing this thread back to attention

I dunno if this is the perfect place for it but I'm gonna take a bit of time to ask about decoration of a new apartment. This will be my first time not living in my childhood room or a cramped dorm and I'd rather not just hang up a bunch of posters and call it a day.

Basically goons, How can I spruce up a new apartment in terms of wall hangings, cool looking doodads and neat things? My roommates and I are starting to corroborate on this and we kinda wanna get creative.

Are you in college? Go to the art department or art majors and buy paintings for dirt cheap. They'll probably look like crap, but any color is better than bare white walls. Alternatively, go to garage sales. I bought a giant tacky painting of an abstract vagina that was a huge hit at parties.

Another idea is to buy big cloth wall hangings. Like a quilt, or any colorful cloth really. Just tack it up to the wall.

You can also buy large book shelves. Ikea has some huge square ones with lots of little cubbyholes without a back. Fill in those little cubbyholes with books and decorative doodads to your heart's content.