Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

immakiku
Sep 15, 2003
Smart Newbie
Why did my landlord insist on getting deposit/first month's rent in bank check?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

immakiku
Sep 15, 2003
Smart Newbie
Move in is in 2 weeks. They asked for bank check today (instead of check). I can imagine since they have a lot of demand for apartments in NYC they want to make sure my money is good before giving me the lease. But I am just wondering if it's standard practice.

immakiku
Sep 15, 2003
Smart Newbie

fineX posted:

I'm going to be moving into a dorm in the fall. Is there anything that people often overlook, or some good general tips that they don't tell you (besides leave your door open hurrr)?

In addition, laptop not desktop if you can afford it.

Depending on what you're studying (even the most irrelevant fields) you might want to bring a suit. Presentations, formal events, etc.

immakiku
Sep 15, 2003
Smart Newbie
Where's the best place to get renter's insurance? Do I have to work with the landlord for that? What if I'm reasonably sure the place will not burn down since it's a sturdy building?

immakiku
Sep 15, 2003
Smart Newbie
Thanks for the info. I already had a fire in my current building so that's scared me enough. I can afford the $100 to protect my things.