Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I live in a studio apartment, and need some advice on what color of bedding to buy (very important), and some general decorating advice.

Here are some quick pictures I took with my phone:

http://imgur.com/a/wtfFv#7cEpd

TV will be wall mounted at a more appropriate height as soon as I get the mount, and the component stand will be tucked further back and off to the right a bit - there's a cement pillar in the way. I'm planning on picking up a Poang chair to replace the folding chair, and a 36x22 Lack coffee table to go in the middle. I was planning on going all black, but something is telling me that isn't the best idea.

I really want to hang things on the wall, but I cannot figure out what kind of thought process to use when choosing art or where to hang something. Sizes, colors, positioning are all important but I am failing at Google for figuring this one out. Some guidance here would be fantastic! Being that it's a studio, should there be different themes in each area, or should there be an overriding aesthetic?

Finally, and most importantly, what color sheets/duvet cover do I choose? I get the feeling this would be a much easier choice for me if I lived in an apartment with a separate bedroom, but I do not. I originally chose white, and they looked great, but they stopped looking great after a while. A brown sounds like it would be the best bet for neutrality and matching, but it seems kind of boring. Anything beyond white and brown, tho, goes beyond what I know about color matching.

Any suggestions for my place would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the terse explanation, but I've gotten burned out on shopping for small apartment poo poo. Anything good looking and reasonably priced is huge, and anything small is either expensive, ugly, unobtainable, or from Ikea and that has driven me nuts. I have looked at enough pictures of places and furniture catalogs that I do not trust my taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Trilineatus posted:

My god, man, never have I seen someone so terrified at personal expression!

Red, do you like the color red? Since everything in your apartment is black, white, or wood toned, you can pick a jewel tone of any kind - red, royal blue, violet, emerald, etc - and use that as the theme for your bedding and artwork. I prefer one large centered piece of art that pops with color and then smaller corresponding pieces where the wall looks boring.

Thank you! I am not afraid of personal expression, but, ahh gently caress, I have no idea how to make it look good. I'm over car posters and technical drawings. This advice seems like a good baseline for how not to gently caress up.

quote:

Hang it anywhere but above your bed (don't want that poo poo to fall on you) and if you are really devoid of personal preference I've seen some nice typical prints for sale at ikea, get the one with giant red poppies if you really need some hand holding.

I would hang the big painting on the wall at the foot of the bed next to the TV, and smaller pieces of corresponding theme on the strip of wall by the bathroom door, 2 or 3 on top of each other. Get a matching throw rug and done.

This is the kind of general advice I couldn't find in the internet.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Eggplant Wizard posted:

CountOfNowhere: Your apartment is 100% neutral right now so pick any color you like and go with it. I'd say ideally it'd be a non-neutral (neutrals: black, brown, navy blue, white, beige, gray...) so that your space is less :geno:. As for wall art, what are some things you like? Favorite movies? Put up some posters in nice frames. Music? Album covers in frames. Plants? Go to kinkos, print that poo poo out, put it in frames. Same goes for basically anything. Don't try to arbitrarily find stuff, just think about things that make you happy, and incorporate them. What are some of your interests? We can try to make suggestions based on that.

I'm not too keen on your layout. Is there any way you could straighten out your bed, maybe put it on the wall? If you're comfortable with it, that's fine and stick with it then. For me it seems kind of cluttered and the lines don't feel clean. I get that you're trying to separate it into two or three 'rooms' (kitchen, computer, bedroom/living room) but it just feels messy to me. Are you open to changes there? Is that carpet built in?

Definitely stick to one set of coordinating colors/themes. Mixing it up would make it feel even more cramped. Also, OPEN THAT CURTAIN. Natural light would go a long way toward making it less cave-like. You could get some sheer curtains to cover the window instead, which would improve privacy while retaining light.

e: cuntvalet, frame them and it's fine.

Very open to changes here, but unfortunately the carpet is built in (as is that angle, the headboard is right against the carpet trim the whole way down - wood on the other side), and I would prefer to not be able to see the kitchen from bed. That being said, very open to changes. What were you thinking?

I almost always have the blinds open, but the pictures all ended up washed out with how sunny it is. I've got tons of natural light and a pretty fantastic view. The sun is going down so I'll get some new pictures right now. (Sheer curtains are a great idea, tho, thank you! I love the sunlight but have wanted more privacy).

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

It's 7:45 PM here and not very sunny anymore, still lots of light.

edit:// I am a retard and failed at Ctrl+V: http://imgur.com/a/NeC2k

RIP Paul Walker fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Aug 14, 2012

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Thanks for all the suggestions! The layout has been a constant struggle, I like some of the new ideas tho. I'll draw up a layout when I get home from work, and will be sure to include lots of cat pictures when I post the final layout :)

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Speaking as someone who has had bedbugs.

Do everything you can to not get them. I'd not wish them on Hitler or Donald Trump.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Thanatosian posted:

You can tell people who have had them because when they start talking about bringing things into their home, they sound like George C. Scott talking about precious bodily fluids.

"Yeah, so I steam-clean all of my deliveries, and my bed and box spring are sealed in liquid-proof covers."

When we got them, my vote was to burn the house down. I'm not convinced that would have been inappropriate.

No loving kidding. There's definitely a level of trauma present that you just don't understand until you've had them.

I had itchy PTSD for months/years afterwards. Dislike.

Was dreaming of finding a breed of spider that would eradicate them and letting the fuckers loose.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Poizen Jam posted:

I just moved within my building to a larger unit. The new unit is next to the elevator shaft on a higher floor- and I can clearly hear the low hum of the elevator's machinery in the room adjacent the elevator shaft. It wouldn't be so bad if it was a steady, constant or white noise, but it's kind of resonant and the loudness pulses every 4 seconds or so. Thing is, this is probably normal operating noise. I really love this unit besides- if I could just dampen the noise a little it would be perfect. What options do I have for soundproofing the concrete wall I share with the elevator shaft?

I don't think there's any sense in applying a green glue/drywall combo or foam directly to the concrete wall- I'm pretty sure the vibrations would simply travel through, but I'm not a skilled enough handyman to know how to get around this.

If there's a more appropriate thread I apologize- I looked!

Do you happen to live in my building? I also live next to an elevator shaft.

I will say, you get used to it like you get used to the noise of a city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

That does not meet the standards for an egress window