Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

digitalhifi
Jun 5, 2004
In life I have encountered much, but nothing as profound as the statement "all we ever do is do stuff."
https://www.har.com is a great resource for apartment hunting if you're moving to the greater Houston, TX area.

Additional information for potential renters:
-What will it cost to heat/cool the apartment? The landlord will likely either "not know," or quote you very low prices. Look for double pane (good) or single pane (bad) windows in regards to this (especially up north where it gets cold).

-What utilities are available? I got shafted the first time I moved to a new apartment and was only allowed 1 lovely local cable company for cable and internet. Thank god Clear moved in.

-Talk to current tenants in the complex or see if the landlord can provide you with some of their other tenants information (This may require human to human contact).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

digitalhifi
Jun 5, 2004
In life I have encountered much, but nothing as profound as the statement "all we ever do is do stuff."

Ashcans posted:

Here's a question: has anyone ever asked a potential landlord for references? I ask because we have been having issues with our landlord who is a total nutcase. I suspect that if we had ever had the chance to speak to her previous tenants, we would have gotten wind of that and never moved in. It seems like whenever I apply for an apartment I have to give my previous landlords and rental references, but I've never heard of it happening in the other direction.

Has anyone ever done this? Do you think that it would totally scare off a landlord to even ask about it? The only other solution I can think of is to just avoid renting from individuals and stick to property management companies. They're sleazy and frequently incompetent, but they aren't insane.

Not unusual at all. I asked for references from all of my potential landlords and they were happy to give them.