Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
The last time I moved I rented a uHaul and then hired some random people listed on the uHaul website to come lift everything for me. It ended up being 2 late teens highschool boys working for their family business who just cranked our an entire apartment in 2 hours. I think it might have been the best $250 I ever spent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
I have one of these. Our apartment inexplicably has 2 bathrooms, so we keep it in the second bathroom tub in case of catastrophic failure. I’m pretty sure our lease prohibits them but whatever. Mine is fine for washing small loads of delicates, wool socks/sweaters, that sort of thing. I wouldn’t attempt sheets or towels, though.
Get one of those metal sleeve things to catch any lint that escapes or you’ll clog the pipes. It is kind of loud and does need to be on a level surface. The spin cycle is surprisingly good-sometimes the undershirts I pull out are dry within an hour.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
I hired just unloading labor from a local company through the uhaul listings after you rent a van from them. It was $200 for 2 guys that seemed like they were the woman I spoke to’s teenage nephews. They were great, got everything in and upstairs in under 2 hours.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
I was looking at internet furniture and ended up going with Interior Define because they had a showroom in Chicago that I could actually sit on examples and feel the fabric options. I didn't think I'd care about the filling options since we've been using an Ikea loveseat for 15 years but I thought the down blend option was totally worth the extra $150.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
See if there's a refugee resettlement organization in your area, they often need furnishings for new arrivals.