Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Seems like the best place to ask this for the time being.

So my girlfriend and I have decided on a new place. The building is pretty nice and the area is right where we'd want to be, however the one thing that kinda irks me is that we'd only be able to get Comcast for internet service. The apartment is in an actual apartment building with 200 other units and when I asked the leasing agent if they had plans for Fios anytime soon, he shrugged.

I don't :filez: and pretty much the only things I do with my connection is stream netflix/hulu/hbogo, browse the web and play games/steam. We both want to cut the cord with cable TV however I feel like this is going to be difficult to pull off with the bandwidth cap.

I really don't want to gently caress myself over with the 250 gb cap but I have no idea what my actual monthly bandwidth usage is. Does anyone have any experience with dealing with Comcast in the DC metro area? I don't see myself excessively going over the cap but I worry that because we basically stream all of our media, it's going to screw us over.

Better yet, does anyone know if I'd be able to get a business account with Comcast despite the fact my apartment would be in an apartment building?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Yeah I had read about the contract and that doesn't bother me so much. I think the only thing that worries me is that we are going to be going from using Fios so I have no clue what my actual bandwidth usage is. We do have a Roku box for streaming all of our content and I do play a lot of PC games so I'm paranoid it's going to affect us in a big way. For all I know though, we'll barely hit that cap with that usage since I don't torrent anymore.

I guess I could theoretically give it a month or so on a residential account and see how it pans out, but I still have another month or so before I need to worry about it so it's not a huge rush.

Thanks for the help, everyone!

EDIT: Comcast business called me back and the guy was pretty helpful. Although the guy did snicker when I said that I needed the business internet for work since I work at home once a week and I download a ton of hi-res PDF's as a result (I was being honest but I guess he thought I was just trying to be sly about :filez:).

grumperfish posted:

Without TV, I ended up around $15 more than a residential connection would have cost after 6 months (paying for 12/2 and getting 15/5).

Are you saying you're paying for the 12/2 service(I think he quoted me 59.99 a month) and getting 15/5 speeds or that you got bumped up a tier?

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jan 18, 2012

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Eggplant Wizard posted:

That'll be a good start, yep.

This may be more on the E/N side of things, but before you sign a lease, make sure you're both clear on how payment for things is going to be divided (50/50? Does one of you make more than the other and want to pay more? etc.). Don't let it just work itself out. Another thing to do is talk about household chores. And this is pretty pessimistic, but JUST IN CASE poo poo doesn't work out, I wouldn't hurry to give away the extra TV or other expensive items. You may also find that one of you really really their your couch and wants to keep it, and the other person hates it and can't wait to never see it again. So be prepared.

It might also go super well with no hiccups! It can happen!

This is very solid advice. I did the same thing with my girlfriend (pre-planning/writing out) who is responsible for what with rent and all. You are kidding yourself if you think doing it last minute or once you get there will be easy. It's not.

Also I had my initial stuff with Comcast business go through without a hitch. I am very happy in my decision since I've been able to speak to a live rep with ease each time I've called and scheduling my installation and everything has been extremely easy compared to when I had to deal with their residential/consumer services.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

grumperfish posted:

This was one of the major reasons I decided to get business class instead of residential. After spending a year with residential comcast and then 2 years with AT&T DSL/UVerse I was pretty fed-up with lovely customer support (AT&T's billing division is the worst I've ever seen), so it was worth it for me to spend a bit more for better/more-reliable service.

Make sure the tech knows it's a commercial installation if you're getting it installed in an apartment (otherwise they'll mark it as a residential line at the box), and you'll need a wireless router/AP (if you use wifi) as the unit they'll give you will likely be wired-only.

Thanks for the advice. I've got a wireless router thankfully so that's all taken care of, I guess now the only thing I need to mention to the tech is that it's a commercial account. I'm going to be living in a mid-rise apartment building so I want to make sure they mark the line correctly.

One nice thing is that they are giving me a Saturday installation which I've never had the option of going with before with either Verizon or Cox. So it makes my move that much easier.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

For anyone moving long distances, I recommend these guys http://www.upack.com/ .

I rented a crate to move all of my stuff from New England down to DC about two years ago. I was able to get about 1.5 rooms worth of stuff with room to spare inside and it cost me 400 bucks total. MUCH easier than getting a uhaul and doing it myself, cheaper too.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Curious because I can't find a straight answer anywhere else, but does anyone know if Ikea will let me purchase something in store (a mattress and frame in this case) and then pick it up at a later date and time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Does anyone know if moving out of a place early but still continuing to pay the rent/lease is frowned upon, even if you have roommates still occupying the apartment? Subletting isn't really an option since it'd be only for a month and a half or so, and beyond that the new tenant would likely have to move or find two new roommates.

My girlfriend and I have found a place we'd like to move into, but to get the apartment we'd like, we'd have to sign a lease by August 10th (but move in anytime after that). Her lease expired this month and she's going to stay with family in the interim, I currently live with two other roommates.

We've already discussed me moving in, and just covering groceries and utilities while she took on the rent for two months while waiting for my other lease to wrap up. My roommates are cool with this so long as I keep paying the rent till the lease expires (they plan on moving out once it's done as well). I just wonder if my current landlord/management company will throw a shitfit over it.