Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Mention it to him for sure. I don't know what you mean by logical rights, but you can certainly request (and he should honor) not to have the same guy work in your unit again. That doesn't necessarily mean switching companies, just technicians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This is definitely the kind of thing a good property manager will want to know. If we have subs screwing up our resident relations, we need to know so we can fix it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Animal control's job is to pick up strays. It's not on the apartment complex. Why did animal control say they wouldn't help?

Worst case scenario, get a live animal trap, trap the cat and take it to animal control.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Who could sue you? The resident who is denying they ever fed the cat?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Besides, if I find a stray animal and don't know whether or not it belongs to anyone, I'm well within my right to take it to animal control. If it belongs to someone, they can go to animal control and get it. As long as I didn't take it out of someone's back yard, no crime has been committed.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The dishwasher thing can also be caused by not having the drain pipe on it (that goes in the side of the garbage disposal) looped properly. Read this and see if any of those things are issues.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Brannock posted:

Okay so this has happened in pretty much every single apartment I've lived in so maybe you guys can help me figure this out. Why does my apartment get more humid at night? Like clockwork the sun will go down and it'll get uncomfortably humid in here after being perfectly comfortable all day long.

It's not actually getting hotter - I run the AC and it's been at 74 all day long. My apartment is eastern facing and on the first floor, so I'm pretty drat well shielded from the setting sun. Yet, at 10 AM my apartment is much cooler-feeling than it is at 8 PM. (And at 3-4 PM too - for the theories about "it takes time for heat to work through the brick and concrete.")

My only plausible theory is that the cooler air is causing the air to compress and becoming more humid as a result (while keeping the same water content) - but that shouldn't be affecting the inside of my apartment since I've had the windows and patio door closed all day and, as I said before, it's still 74 degrees in here.

edit: My apartment building is certified green, energy efficient, etc and there's about fifty feet between my door and the west side of the building. Heat/humidity really shouldn't be penetrating like this, yet it behaves the exact same as when I lived in crappy places with zero insulation.

The A/C pulls the humidity from the air. If the A/C isn't running at night when it gets cooler outside, then you have nothing to pull the humidity from the air.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ashcans posted:

I'm assuming that 'Can I have a grill on my balcony' is sort of a trick question, because grilling on the balcony is really obnoxious to bordering units (particularly above you) and is often also a huge fire hazard.

Most localities have adopted the international fire code which prohibits grills on balconies or decks of structures containing more than two attached dwelling units.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The most important thing is that the landlord can make you move at any time with a 30 day notice.

He can also raise the rent with a 30 day notice.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Catagorical posted:

Would a month to month option generally require a lower credit score than a 6 or 12 lease from the same complex? I know month to month tends to be pricier, but if it helps me work around the credit issue I mentioned above, it might be worthwhile.

I'm not sure that it would matter. I would ask why they're doing month to month as opposed to one year leases though. If it's because they intend to reoccupy it in a few months, then they may be willing to take a lower score in order to get some money in the short term. But otherwise, if you don't pay, its going to take the same amount of time to evict you as it would in a one year lease.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Costello Jello posted:

If you show up with proof of employment, and a check to cover the deposits, they aren't going to care about your bad credit.

Why do you think that?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

If you don't want presents, make it clear in your invites or don't be surprised if some people show up with gifts.

Better yet, make it a "stock the bar" party and ask everyone to bring a bottle of booze.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ashcans posted:

This isn't a bad idea, but keep in mind that many people are either deceptive or incompetent when it comes to providing a square-foot measurement of a property. Like technically, you shouldn't include stuff like closet space or areas where the roof is below a certain height, but I have seen places where they basically measured the width and length of the building and multiplied them. Plus, location is often a bigger issue than square footage.

The ANSI standard is done by taking outside measurements of the dwelling. It includes closets. You're not supposed to include below grade space, garages, or rooms where the ceiling is below 7 feet.

So if you don't have any of that stuff, width and length of the building is actually how you're supposed to measure.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ashcans posted:

Wow, I didn't realize that. That's stupid as hell, especially if the interior has a terrible build where you're just missing big chunks of space. What about stuff like stairwells? In a typical triple-decker (most of Boston) you have two staircases front and back that take up a lot of space.

Even so, square footage does equate living space, so don't use it as a sole measure!

Stair cases would still count under most measurements. Square footage isn't intended as an indicator of living space, but of finished space. Small distinction, but important.

Ultimately, it's not terribly useful other than as a rough guideline. A poorly designed layout with more space can still feel more cramped and have less usable space than a smaller, smarter layout. Take a tape measure with you and measure the size of living rooms and bedrooms (you may also wish to measure linear feet of counter space in the kitchen). Then use graph paper or any of the numerous web utilities to try laying out your furniture.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ConfusedUs posted:

Built as a one-story house in the mid 60s. Converted to a two-story house in the early 70s. It was built by a couple; the wife was in a wheelchair and the man was really short.

The whole house (both stories) is built low and wide. The halls are about 18" wider than standard halls. My family is short, too. My sister is the tallest at 5'6".

Can I make you talk folks feel worse?

After moving in, my mom installed ceiling fans in nearly every room.

I don't think the ANSI method would even apply here, as ceilings that short wouldn't even meet standard residential code (7'6"). How in the world did they get an occupancy permit?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The normal covenant stipulates that you will not interfere with others' quiet enjoyment of the property. In situations like this, you end up with one person's word against the other, and it's very difficult to terminate a lease based on that. What you need is an objective third party, which in this case is the security guard. Does he think you're being loud? If not, complain to your property manager that your neighbor is harassing you (although 3 complaints in two months probably doesn't rise to that level). Your PM may be able to mediate things between the two of you.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just make a costume like Daniel did in Karate Kid.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Email is good because it gives a written record of the conversation.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Generally speaking, the landlord cannot make guarantees nor is expected to make the place safe. Things like deadbolts, charlie bars on sliding doors, etc are required by code. Even things like exterior lighting aren't required, but if provided the landlord has an obligation to maintain it.

That's to to say the landlord won't let you out of your lease if you have repeated problems, but that generally speaking he is not required to. You may find a sympathetic judge if you intend to pursue it though.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
And also recognize that (the dangerous) mold becomes dangerous at high concentration rates. It's already all around you. Which is why if you leave something wet laying around, it will grow mold, because the mold is already in the air. If a kit just confirms the presence of mold it's not doing anything other than telling you what you already know. The only useful mold test is one that compares interior and exterior concentrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Probably just a problem with the flapper and/or float. Shouldn't cost more than $20 to fix. You could do it yourself if you were so inclined.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This is what you need to fix it. Plus an adjustable wrench and a couple of towels. It's a lot easier than it looks. It is, however, your landlord's responsibility to fix it, so don't feel like you have to do it yourself. But it really is a 20 minute/20 dollar job.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Monthly or weekly pest control is a good thing. It doesn't mean you should expect problems, just that they have a program there to prevent and/or respond to problems.

As far as model units go, it's perfectly legitimate for them to furnish it much more nicely than a typical resident might. However, having finishes (carpet, countertops, lighting) that are nicer than the actual units is highly unethical, and pretty unusual in my experience.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well the thing is, what they're telling you is true. Especially if they can't confirm it themselves, then you have one person's word against another's, and the courts are unlikely to evict someone based on that.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

marshmallard posted:

They haven't even tried to confirm it. Are they not legally responsible for my quiet enjoyment of the flat I rent from them? Surely this is the letting agency's responsibility to sort out.

Well the letter seemed to indicate that they had been there and couldn't confirm it. And yes, they are absolutely required to provide quiet enjoyment, but the burden if proof that they are not is on you, and that's going to be a difficult case to make.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
1. Companies give you a discount if you pay for a full year. You can pay monthly generally, but they're going to charge you extra to do so, hence the installment fee.

2. They can give you an estimate for people in your area, but they can't tell you what it's going to cost you until they check you out. Just like most any insurance, they need to know who they're insuring and what their history is before making a quote. So you can get a ballpark form them, but if you want to know what it's going to cost you specifically well you have to let them know who you are.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
In my area, this is a slow time of year. When spring comes, I will raise rents and drop specials. Don't know what the market is like there, but he could be telling the truth.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
For furniture, I've had good luck with Home Decorator's Collection. Most of the furniture has to be assembled by you, but it's sturdily built and goes together easily. I think it's pretty good value for the money.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Niemat posted:

My husband and I just moved into a side-by-side duplex the last week of March, and I had a few questions that have popped up. We had a neighbor for that last week (until he moved out until 2 in the morning on the 1st, banging every Goddamn thing he owned), and we were able to hear him quite a bit. He would play loud music in his bathroom from 6-8 am that we could hear in ours, we could hear his TV blaring, we could hear him talking loudly in the basement, and we could hear him and his dog stomping around, among other sounds at all hours. He either seemed very unaware what an inconsiderate prick he was being, or he didn't care. My first question is: is it possible to have one half be more insulated against sound in a side-by-side duplex, or is that just silly? Like, was he so noisy, because he was unaware we could hear him so clearly, because he could never hear anything from this side...? There's currently workmen over there fixing up the place for the new tenants, and I can hear them talking and working as well. I guess what I don't know is if people are yelling or talking at a moderate level, but I'd imagine they be required to be considerate to some degree...?

My second question is: should the neighbor using water have an effect on our water pressure...? We have to pay for water and sewer here, so my naivety wants to believe no (because that would suggest our water use is somehow linked, right?), but we would be showering when the neighbor was still here and all of the sudden we'd lose ALL water pressure, reducing the shower to a trickle. Since the neighbor moved out, we haven't had that problem--showers have had FANTASTIC pressure the entire time. If we start to lose pressure again when new people move in next door, should we alert the landlady? Or is it going to be one of those things we have to deal with?

If there's one line supplying both sides of the duplex, then it's entirely possible that water pressure would drop when the other side is using it. However, your meter should be on your branch of the supply line, and it will measure the flow based on whatever pressure you have.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Niemat posted:

How would this work? Will we ever be at risk for paying for any of the other unit's water/sewer use?

Assuming there are two meters, then as long as its plumbed correctly, your meter should only measure for your water usage, and should be correct regardless of flow rate. A lot of older places may not be plumbed for that though, but if there are two city meters, then I would think you'd be ok. But if you have city water meters on the outside, the drop in pressure would concern me, although it could just be that the city line isn't carrying enough pressure to feed two units.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The landlord would need to give her 30 days notice in most states if she's on a month to month lease, but that's it. And any landlord would want someone committed to staying there a year, and not someone who could leave with 30 days notice at any time.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The landlord can't extend you for a month?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It may be that it was once attached to a roof or attic mounted antenna.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Do not offer them weed until they are done.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It may not mention guests specifically, but instead say that all occupants have to be parties to the lease, and then it becomes a matter of how often someone stays there and what constitutes occupancy.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wait people are making knockoffs of IKEA products?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It is shady as poo poo. Did someone from the management company also sing the lease or just you? If they also signed it, then they're stuck with it for the term. If they hadn't signed accepting it then you're screwed and you should look elsewhere.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Don't cross any bridges that don't have enough clearance for a truck your height.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Also, cheaper products will have more seams as they've pieced together smaller parts of hides, as opposed to large flawless pieces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well Cox also includes WatchESPN, so if you get the cox tv service, you will have access to all the espn content on your mobile devices (even if they're not connected to the cox network).