Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Animal posted:

He is very mistaken about this thing as it is way more common than he stubbornly insist its not.
Don't most Americans have at least 1 credit card by age 25? I certainly did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Volkerball posted:

Credit cards are dumb and useless is the thing. The only reason you'd even get one is just to build credit. They serve no purpose. If you're not deliberately attempting to raise your credit score, you'd have no reason to ever look at getting a credit card. And I don't think too many people are worrying about their credit score in their early 20's these days, especially since the only time you hear about credit cards is when you are hearing about people who financially ruined themselves with them. Much like student loans, the responsible thing to do is not play. Nobody ever looks at it that way though. :sigh:
2% discount on everything you buy is dumb? Or free airfare or hotel stays? You can use credit for everything without paying a dime of interest and come out way ahead. Or you can get sucked into soul wrenching debt. The CC isn't the problem, the irresponsible spending is the problem.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Volkerball posted:

Yeah I don't care about frequent flier miles or saving 4/5 of a penny per gallon of gas or w/e. I always assumed interest was included no matter what though because why wouldn't it be.
So the uninformed consumer is.......you.

Interest only applies if you dont pay off the previous balance in full. Look at the statement balance. Pay that amount by the payment due date. Live interest free. Enjoy the rewards you get for free.

2% back isn't a ton, but its at least an extra couple movie tickets every month for doing...nothing.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jun 2, 2016

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Found an apartment after 4 months spent looking.
Went and saw it in person, liked it, needed to do a little bit more research on the complex so I didn't put down the deposit. Decided to go back and do the paperwork at lunch today.
Gone.

gently caress.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Mocking Bird posted:

Welcome to apartment hunting, did it seriously take you 4 months to figure that poo poo out? :rolleyes:
No. Just 4 months to find the perfect mix of location, size, and price.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Yeah, the bank account seemed like something she could get immediately, it was just weird to me. I guess using the SSN is pretty common. Dumb that it's common, but that's the way it is.
Credit check is pretty normal.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

photomikey posted:

If you are saving it to go to court, you will need stills, not video, in court. Video makes for crappy stills.
Fortunately most cameras can do still during video now.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

photomikey posted:

Those are stills from video. Video makes for crappy stills. This is a job for a still camera.
Really? I've never tried it. But yeah, just pulling a freeze frame is a horrible way to get stills.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

No in-unit laundry and I wouldn't even look at it. Being able to do laundry at 11PM while nude is very nice.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Fojar38 posted:

Yes, my utilities are included in the rent. Nominally it's for "extra electricity" and I don't think that an AC unit will incur an additional $250 in electricity costs for the season.

The only reason I haven't straight up ignored this is because the lease does say that they can charge me ~$130 or so for the use of an air conditioner in summer. They have been giving these notices out for years now and I haven't ever seen them enforced either (I got my AC unit a year ago, have never been "inspected" once for 3 years) likely because I don't see how they could be enforced.
Probably because its super hot and its costing them money.

Wheel it into a closet, and wheel it out when they are done. Or show them your lease and pony up the $130.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Eponine posted:

I did a dumb thing. I put a hot pan on my builders' grade countertop and now there's a faint burn and a hole in the surface. I put some patching over it, but it's still pretty obvious. We've been in this place for two years; we will likely stay in it another year and a half. When we moved in, the landlord patched and painted the walls, replaced the kitchen overhead lighting, replaced the hardware on kitchen cabinets and put in a backsplash. I know on units up for rent now he's put in new hardwood flooring and better counters. Should I be worried about my deposit?
At this point its not worth worrying about. Think about it a couple months before you move out, not right now.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

I finally got a copy of the new lease agreement from one of the roommates who's moving out, and this is bugging me: Is it normal for lease agreements to specify joint and several liability on all tenants? Asking because joint and several liability as a legal concept is some scary poo poo, especially if one of the tenants winds up being an rear end in a top hat and destroying something.
Completely normal. Think about what it gets the landlord, and it's obvious why it's there.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

gently caress that. Being able to do laundry while naked is awesome and worth every penny.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Threads like this are also filled with posters which have no faith left in humanity.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Chard posted:

Apartment hunting in/around Sacramento right now. poo poo is getting pretty brutal with expanding Bay Area influence :( For real if anyone has a lead on studio/1br within 20-30 miles hit me up.

I hate my life.
Suburb or city? And yeah, bay area is loving Sacramento up pretty badly, and it's only getting worse.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Depends on how far out you want to go, and in which direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

1 way truck rentals are *highly* dependent on source/destination flows as far as I know.