Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Having just moved (just in town, in the Seattle area), I figure I'll throw in some tips.

Websites I used:
hotpads.com (liked this one, lets you keep notes and such.)

1) If you care about internet, ensure you can get decent hispeed when you move. If you really care, make sure before you sign the lease. I just had to switch from Comcast to Broadstripe and I'm pretty irked about it, as Comcast in my area (seattle) was not only offering the 50-105 mbps packages, but delivered on those speeds too. No issues, no outages, really liked them. Broadstripe blows - speeds are between 1-15 depending on the time of day and the upload is nonexistant. However, I just found out I'll be getting Condointernet.com by the end of the summer, so that's pretty awesome.

2) Food sucks to move. Food really sucks to move. Eat your food before you move. Take 2-3 weeks before you move and empty out your pantry. If you wouldn't eat it then, throw it away. Pantry food is hard to move (generally either fragile or heavy), and refrigerator food is also pretty hard to move too. (need a cooler)

3) If you don't want to take time off work, give yourself at least a week of overlap, preferably two. Does paying double rent suck? Yes, very much. Does having to clean an entire apartment in a day suck more? Most likely.

Also when apartment hunting, give yourself about a month, and have a clear understanding of what your requirements are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Here's a question - I'm trying to find places with a decent commute to my work and my fiancee's work - does anyone know of a google maps API tool or something like that that can take two locations and show you places within a given commute time of them both?