Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

Eggplant Wizard posted:

[*]The Lease: When you sign your lease, make sure you read it all the way through and ask questions. Most of it is boring, but sometimes there are important things in there. You need to be educated on what your rights are in case there are issues down the line. Don't sign till you're sure you understand all the terms.

Questions to ask a potential landlord (in no particular order)
[list][*]Which utilities, if any, are paid by the landlord, and which are paid by the tenant?

For the utilities, it helps to also ask HOW they are paid. In my first apartment alone, I didn't realize until I signed my second year least with them that the gas bill was summed for the building and divided by the number of units. That meant I had to pay $180 in the winter for gas and the large Mexican family with 8 people in a similarly sized apartment also paid $180. My first winter, I tried to conserve and reduce that bill with no success. Early in the second winter, I cranked the heat up and my bill actually decreased- THEN i knew it was some BS happening. But then, I looked in my lease, and it was right there. So READ THE drat LEASE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

Diseased Dick Guy posted:

I think he's upset because even if they use the same heat as him, the thing is that the bill is split between at least a few people in that unit and he had to pay the same amount alone, footing some of their bill.

e: Including what was said just before me about hot water usage, which increases a lot when you have eight people in a unit as opposed to one or two.

Yes, this. Sorry if it was unclear. I tried to cut corners and turn down the heat (i.e. decrease my gas usage), but it didn't matter because the bill for the entire building was summed and divided by the number of units in the building (12). The apts with one tenant had to pay as much as the large family living a a few units over. Plus, you add in hot water, etc with multiple people, and thats how, in effect, I paid for their gas.

I went from keeping the heat on at 66 all winter (and turning it off during the day when I wasn't home) to leaving it on 75 degrees all day/night long. My bill didn't increase at all, due to the pooling and division of the gas bill.