Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004
Can anyone recommend tips for couch shopping in the US (small college town)? I bought a Ektorp with a pretty brown cover (Svanby I think) last June and my cats have absolutely shredded it. They've never done this to furniture before and it seems to be due to the raised threads on it. I figured this out when I bought an ottoman with similar fabric and they destroyed that too.

Are there any particularly good brands out there that I should be looking for? I've always just gotten hand-me-down sofas and bought everything else from Ikea, so I'm stuck. I'd go to Ikea, but it's a 3 hour drive and I'm not sure if they sell things with less cat-vulnerable fabric short of leather.

I want to get one made of microsuede I think, since so far a cheap microsuede ottoman has gone unmolested by the cats. I have $500 to spend. BigLots looks like it might have some nice options made by Simmons, but I don't want to waste my money on a sofa that will have poor construction and I'm not sure if BigLots if trustworthy.

dopaMEAN fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

witherlegs posted:

Computer paper boxes make the best moving boxes. They're sturdy, they don't have a seam on the bottom that can rip, and they come with lids. If you know someone who works in an office, ask them to grab a few for you, they are great.

Does anyone have experience with moving cats across long distances? We're moving around 900 miles, with a planned stop at the halfway point. Will they be ok in their carriers for 8 hours at a time? Will we need to stop and let them out in the car to use the litterbox?

When we moved from AZ to IL we got our cats a large dog carrier that was big enough to hold both them and the litter box. Initially we tried to let our cat who wasn't terrified roam the car, but she kept trying to escape when we would stop at gas stations. We left them in their carrier for most of the trip and only let them out in the hotel room. They were fine.