Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

Tatos posted:

I need to find a place in Santa Cruz. I arrive there at the 4th and have a room at my university for 5 nights. Then I will get kicked out.

Being from Germany I don't have any renters history or whatever, and I will probably pay the rent in cash every month. Do you think that's a problem?

I hope it's going to be possible to find something in those days...does someone have some advice on how to increase my chances of success?

And of course one final question: Does someone happen to know someone in SC with a room for me? (just asking...)

THANKS! :cheers:

I'm assuming your University will have some variation of an International Student Office. They can help you do paperwork to get a bank account so you can use checks to pay the rent and fees. I'm betting they could also hook you up with other foreign students in a similar position.

I just finished a move that was full of craigslist bullshit and realestate agents that never called back. My most valuable lesson was checking out a place in a less desirable area, to find out it was right by a college and a police station to help keep crime in check; huge place for (New Jersey Standards) cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

Ashcans posted:

Incidentally, not only is that really sketchy, it is straight up illegal in every state I have ever rented. Usually if a landlord cannot provide individually metered utilities, they have to simply account for it in the rent. So check on that.

Or you end up like me, with a water heater for every one bedroom apartment. I sure do enjoy that gas bill and running my shower for 5 minutes every morning to bring in the hot water!

Also where I am month and a half is a normal deposit on an apartment, so to me Zaftig doesn't seem to have it that bad for for a bunch of 20-somethings with (I assume) no rental history and a pet.