Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Large Hardon Collider
Nov 28, 2005

PARADOL EX FAN CLUB
The weirdest thing is when you see two ads on craigslist: one by the owner, and another by the agency. Also the fact that around Boston, there's at least half a dozen agencies going by different names that all operate under the same umbrella. It makes sense for somervillepads.com and arlingtonpads.com, but there's other naming conventions too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Large Hardon Collider
Nov 28, 2005

PARADOL EX FAN CLUB
Our apartment's inner front door's glass pane has been broken since December. Last time one of us asked the landlord via email to fix it, he replied "thank you." Can we threaten to withhold rent? (MA)

Large Hardon Collider
Nov 28, 2005

PARADOL EX FAN CLUB
I'm in Massachusetts. I signed a year-long lease starting this June, and today I got this email from the broker:

quote:

Hey guys,

So today the owner of your future apartment contacted me and let me know he is having issues with the current tenant, and the current tenant may have issues moving out by June 1st. The owner plans to meet with a mediator next week to work out a time frame for the current tenant to vacate the apartment. The owner understands this is a big inconvenience for you guys and has offered to pay for storage and other costs that may arise from this hassle. He also has temporary housing in the area that you guys can live in if you choose to. We should know in the next week what the time frame is for the current tenant to leave. I'm really sorry about this, and will let you know as soon as I have more information. Talk to you soon,

Anybody know what my rights are? Is the owner required to provide temporary housing or is he doing me a favor? Is there anything else I'm entitled to by law?

Large Hardon Collider
Nov 28, 2005

PARADOL EX FAN CLUB

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Probably varies state to state, but typically the owner would simply be responsible for vacating your lease and returning your security deposit. It sounds like he's going above and beyond. Holdover tenants can be a pain in the rear end.
Thanks! What do you mean by "vacating my lease"?

Large Hardon Collider
Nov 28, 2005

PARADOL EX FAN CLUB

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Voiding the contract. Since he couldn't deliver on his end, basically the contract (lease) gets torn up.
I was afraid of that. I'll speak with a lawyer about my options. Thank you.

Large Hardon Collider
Nov 28, 2005

PARADOL EX FAN CLUB
Apparently my lease required 60 days notice that we weren't going to renew. The landlord is withholding the security deposit on the grounds that we didn't tell her that we wouldn't renew. Is this legal in Massachusetts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Large Hardon Collider
Nov 28, 2005

PARADOL EX FAN CLUB

Tao Jones posted:

I'm not a lawyer, but in my experience with renting and property - strictly speaking, it's not. But in a situation where you both go to the law, they might have you on the hook for 60 days worth of rent, plus the usual song and dance with your security deposit. So forfeiting your security deposit might be a tactically better alternative.
Turns out she made that 60 day thing up out of thin air -- see my post in the legal thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3266659&pagenumber=280#post416407423