Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
Should I replace my green shag rug with a red Persianish one?

I've had the green one for half a year (because I wanted to add some more warmth and softness to the room), but I'm getting tired of it. It's just too green.

The red one looks a bit more classic and serious. It's less than € 50 from IKEA, just like the green one, so I can replace it again if it turns out I don't like it any more in half a year.

I know this is something that only I can really decide, but does anyone else have strong opinions (like how I never should have bought the green one) about this?

(ugly rear end orange curtains are very near the top of the list of stuff that has to go too)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

nielsm posted:

I don't think the "classic-ness" of the red rug goes well with the rest of your furniture. The green one is rather strong too, but stylistically still fits better. Have you considered a more neutral, light gray one?

If you do decide to go for the red rug, you should probably also get a new table, probably something oval in dark wood.

That thing about the table is actually a really good point, thanks!

Would you still say none of my furniture goes with the red rug if you see it from this perspective?

Maybe I have less an eye for it than I previously thought, but I think it goes well with the blue couch, depending on how red it really is. It might be a little bit too busy, though, but that too depends on what it looks like in person. I'll probably go see what it looks like in the store and get it. If I don't like it, I can always return it. Or maybe I'll see a grey or beige one that suddenly strikes me.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
Thanks for all the comments guys.

I think I'm going to look for new curtains first, based mostly on what's available, and then think about the carpet again. Because I hate the curtains even more than the carpet. Maybe having non-organey curtains makes the green look less lovely. Or maybe it doesn't, but then I'll have new curtains that I can tie into my choice of rug.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

My new house has a gas fireplace but I cannot find an igniter switch for it. It has the gas on/off knob, but no way that I can find to turn the gas into fire. Do I just throw a match in there to start it? That seems kinda dangerous, but I can't find any other method of ignition.

The property manager had no idea either and suggested I call a chimney company to come out but I feel like there's a really simple solution here that I'm missing.

You can use one of those lighters that only sparks. Those are for gas furnaces and ranges. I think that'd be better than a match since you wouldn't have to fish charred matches out of there afterward.

Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Multi-Sparker-Electronic-Spark-Lighter/dp/B00XQV2S78/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1449931839&sr=8-7&keywords=spark+lighter

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
It legitimately looks like a cool place that you could do a lot with (event location, themed retreat etc), but construction is going to be hell if you have to do all your transport by boat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Nanomachine Son posted:

I had a weird experience when looking for places a while back where a place was put up for rent and the tour was a self-service thing run by a website where you got a code online and grabbed the keys off a lockbox. That didn't seem overly disconcerting, but the place was listed for a rent that was 20-30% lower than what I would've expected for the region, had a pretty inaccurate square foot estimate from the listing, and a variety of these printouts talking about how everything was handled via property management and "you'll never have to meet the owners" type language.

I was too put-off from that experience to even make an application on it, figuring it just had to be too good to be true and that it was some sort of weird scam. It did seem like it was linked to some kind of legitimate site / property management system though which left me uncertain. Now that I've been looking at places again I've come across a few listings that seem kind of similar and I'm wondering if I was just wrong or if there's a pattern with scams targeting people with appealing rentals.

Fairly likely that they booked the place for a short "vacation" through airbnb.
That fits with the lockbox idea and will lead to properties that have been made appealing at no cost to the scammer.

You rent a house for a week for $300. Have twenty showings lined up to rent it for $1500 a month.
Half of them flake out because they suspect something (like you did).
The others, you all tell 'Congrats, you got the house. Pay me the first month's rent and a safety deposit'
Half of them flake out at that stage, but it's still a cool $15k payday on a $300 investment, and no one can find you