Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Just wanted to post to say thanks to the OP and the posters in this thread.

My brother and I had to find an apartment on (extremely) short notice, and the OP and the first few pages of the thread proved invaluable in helping us find the right place & ask the right questions. Some of the really mundane things like square footage, utilities, and parking wouldn't even have been things I'd have thought to ask about, especially in the panicked state I was running for those few days.

Now that we're all set up, the apartment's great and the location's fantastic. Since we've been living together for quite awhile (with other housemate) it didn't take any time getting used to the new living situation, and we landed a reasonably large 2/2 (it's so nice having my own bathroom again) so there's plenty of space and privacy if desired. The biggest change is finally having a dishwasher again. I will never again willingly live in a place without a dishwasher if I can help it. A year without was quite enough. The new place is 5 minutes from my work & right down the street from my gym too, so I can't complain about the location. They supposedly have a small fitness center on-site here, but I've yet to find it (not really needed though as again the gym is just a couple blocks away).

My brother and I also have nearly opposite schedules, so for most of the week it's like we each have our own place. It's a pretty neat arrangement.
E: They only have Comcast here, so while I was looking at picking up Uverse like I had at my old place (name wasn't on the contract thankfully), I ended up getting a CC internet-only business account, with Netflix if we want to watch movies or whatever. Didn't seem worth paying for cable since we don't really watch much TV, although I've considered picking up a digital OTA receiver just in case we need TV for local news or whatever.

Thanks for the great OP and the thread in general. :glomp:

future ghost fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Dec 30, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Frinkahedron posted:

Try plugging your TV directly into the wall outlet anyway, you might be able to still get local channels because laws prohibit cable companies from requiring a box to view local channels that you can get for free with an antenna.
Planned on trying this out when I got home, but just realized I left the CATV splitters & cables at the old place. Going to hit up radioshack this weekend and try this out. Thanks for the tip.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
I picked up a business account when I moved to the apartment last month. Installation was relatively painless, although you do have to sign a contract.

Without TV, I ended up around $15 more than a residential connection would have cost after 6 months (paying for 12/2 and getting 15/5). If you're not using gobs of data though, they're unlikely to bother you if you go slightly above 250gb on a residential account if you're in a major metropolitan area. They're more likely to go after the people hitting 700gb+ than someone using 275gb. Then again, I'm not a comcast executive so I can't verify that.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jan 18, 2012

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Boondock Saint posted:

EDIT: Comcast business called me back and the guy was pretty helpful. Although the guy did snicker when I said that I needed the business internet for work since I work at home once a week and I download a ton of hi-res PDF's as a result (I was being honest but I guess he thought I was just trying to be sly about :filez:).

Are you saying you're paying for the 12/2 service(I think he quoted me 59.99 a month) and getting 15/5 speeds or that you got bumped up a tier?
I'm paying for 12/2 and getting 15/5 speeds. Not officially bumped up a tier. The next tier up is 22mb/5mb (@ $99/month), but it's nice to get the larger upload pipe at least.

The sales rep who setup my order didn't ask me any questions about why I required business class. When the tech was finished with the install he marked the line on the floor's connection box with a commercial tag, I assume to prevent it being accidentally disconnected if someone else on the floor was getting cable installed in the future.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jan 18, 2012

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Boondock Saint posted:

Also I had my initial stuff with Comcast business go through without a hitch. I am very happy in my decision since I've been able to speak to a live rep with ease each time I've called and scheduling my installation and everything has been extremely easy compared to when I had to deal with their residential/consumer services.
This was one of the major reasons I decided to get business class instead of residential. After spending a year with residential comcast and then 2 years with AT&T DSL/UVerse I was pretty fed-up with lovely customer support (AT&T's billing division is the worst I've ever seen), so it was worth it for me to spend a bit more for better/more-reliable service.

Make sure the tech knows it's a commercial installation if you're getting it installed in an apartment (otherwise they'll mark it as a residential line at the box), and you'll need a wireless router/AP (if you use wifi) as the unit they'll give you will likely be wired-only.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

polyfractal posted:

Unless I'm doing something horribly wrong, the cheapest Budget truck is $1000. Penske and UHaul clock in around $1200. :(
Try calling them. We send (one-way) shipments up the east coast on budget/penske trucks, and they'll often give good deals if they have a surplus of trucks in one city and they need them elsewhere. It helps if you play the companies off each other for lower bids.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Ashcans posted:

Your best option is probably to avoid managed properties and apartment buildings that are run by compannies. You might be able to convince an owner that you are upstanding people despite your lack of/bad credit. Your best shot might be trying to find some sort of sublet/roomshare with some other people where your problems may not even come up. If you can get into a place and sublet for a while, it will give you a landlord reference, which can go a long way. Also time to work on your credit.
When my roommate and I ended up getting our current place (managed apartment property in a large metropolitan area), we just brought in proof of income/bank statements as neither of us really had a credit history at the time. They only wanted the prior 3 months. We ended up having to pay the first/last month's rent in addition to the security deposit, but we weren't declined or anything (had we better credit ratings, they would have waived the first month's rent apparently).

I'd think the best thing would be to be honest about it with a prospective landlord - Ask whether a non-existent/bad credit rating would preclude you from being accepted for a given place, provided that you could produce proof of income. That way you'd at least know whether or not it would be worth taking a hit via the credit check.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 17, 2012

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
Power can be expensive, so as suggested turn your PC's off at night or at least put them in standby. I run a 24/7 fileserver and routerbox and while the router isn't too bad as it's heavily-undervolted, the fileserver/HTPC combo is a bit thirsty from the wall. I live in Florida though so the biggest power cost is the A/C units, so the PC power cost is negligible in comparison.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Blooshoo posted:

Isn't there a thing you can put on power cables to see how much power that thing is actually using? That + some maths and you can figure out exactly how much a thing is costing you.

I'm in the south too so I'm with Florida goon up there a/c is like 2/3rds of our power bill (Seriously we kept the AC off for a month and opened all the windows and it knocked the power bill down from $350 to $110). Now it's too hot. :(
Get a kill-a-watt. There's a slightly-cheaper model available but the "EZ" model isn't much more and it calculates the power costs for you.

e: I won't do the open windows thing. With the humidity here I'd have mold everywhere even in spring (along with being loving miserable :v: ).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Red_Fred posted:

I may have to move out soon from my current flat (breakup). Does anyone have any experience with living by yourself at 25? I have a really hard time living with other people and think it would be best to live alone but am nervous about being lonely/bored/broke (seems really expensive!) etc.
I moved in with my brother because we get along really well, and we could split on a bigger apartment. I lived alone a couple years ago and I got pretty weirded out at times. I don't like living with big groups of people, but I think if you can handle living with a roommate/housemate I figure it's better to do that if the cost of housing is sufficiently-expensive in your area.