Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyPitbull
Dec 10, 2005
Awww....look how OHMYGODMYHAND!
So my work status has gotten a little more fluid, and I'm in the situation where I'm working in one state but could be asked to move on short notice (less than a month) any time, and it may be an option I could be choosing depending how things work out.

Aside from that, due to a few factors the lease-holder of my current apartment is moving, and I cannot take over the lease and will have to be finding myself a new place by March. I've been looking at local places and evaluating costs when time permits.

One of my friends knew I was in a bind, mentioned it to their parents, and the parents are offering me to rent me their family home (that they've since moved out of but still own). I'm going to be sitting down with them later to work out all the details, but the rough overview of what they're offering is I'd pay them for rent whatever I'm paying now in my current apartment, they'll pay for the utilities other than TV/internet, and that I only have to commit to be there month-to-month in case I end up having to move on short notice.

The caveats are I'll have to take care of the yard and lawn, and keep the property in reasonable shape (I believe they have a ~half acre). Also, they are currently using two rooms in the house for storage, and the garage is being used for storage of cars and winter storage of motorcycles by my friend. I'd have a master bedroom w/bath, living room, dining room, kitchen, and basement with washer and dryer.

Basically it sounds like a sweet deal to me, more or less taking care of everything I was looking for in an apartment. My only nervousness/hesitation is I've only ever rented apartments from apartment complexes with standard Lease agreements, and this so far sounds like it would be a handshake situation for a house in which some parts of it are still a bit in use by my friend's family. I've known my friend for ~6 years now and have known the family off and on since then and trust them, but I was wondering if it would be smart to have some sort of general lease agreement we can both sign that outlines the rules and guidelines, ensures any state laws on landlords and renters apply, etc. Has anyone else had experience in this sort of situation? Are there particular concerns or lease agreements that I should be looking at that may have been taken care of by a rental company as a matter of course?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyPitbull
Dec 10, 2005
Awww....look how OHMYGODMYHAND!

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Getting some kind of basic lease agreement might be a good idea, yeah. I'd check with the Legal Megathread for that.

Roger that! Thanks for the advice.