Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Here's a question: has anyone ever asked a potential landlord for references? I ask because we have been having issues with our landlord who is a total nutcase. I suspect that if we had ever had the chance to speak to her previous tenants, we would have gotten wind of that and never moved in. It seems like whenever I apply for an apartment I have to give my previous landlords and rental references, but I've never heard of it happening in the other direction.

Has anyone ever done this? Do you think that it would totally scare off a landlord to even ask about it? The only other solution I can think of is to just avoid renting from individuals and stick to property management companies. They're sleazy and frequently incompetent, but they aren't insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Thanks. I've never done it before and I guess I have generally just had good luck with landlords until now. I will definitely be doing this in the future though, it's a huge headache to end up stuck in a lease with a terrible person.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Drunk Tomato posted:

Has anyone ever had any luck or experience with bulk payment discounts? I have a hefty sum of money saved up and I wouldn't mind plunking down 6 months worth of rent all at once if it would save me $50 or $100 a month.

Is this a thing any apartment renter would ever agree to or consider?

It is definitely something that they might consider, sure. Knowing that they have it paid up front would probably be nice. However, you should be aware that in some places, landlords are not actually allowed to do this - it stems from the fact that there are often strict controls on what penalties can be applied to late rent, and that practically speaking it can be very hard to differentiate between an early discount and a late penalty.

I am not sure that I would do this, personally. It means that the landlord is holding six months of your rent if anything goes wrong, and withholding rent is one of the real rights/powers that a tenant has to deal with landlord problems.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Yea, you didn't say exactly what you were looking for, but you can almost certainly get a 2bd in JP for $1400, and probably a nice 3bd (or posh 2bd) for $1700.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I wish that I could move back to JP, we were down by the pond over labor day and the whole area is just so nice. :(

Our current place is a nightmare, so it looks like we'll be moving again (in February). Apartment hunting with both kids and pets is a real headache.

Growing up was the worst housing decision I ever made!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

How bad is it? You can always let them know that you are concerned that the leak affects the habitility of the apartment, and that unless it is fixed you will be contacting the Sanitation Department to send an inspector around. Generally no landlord/management wants this, so it might set a fire under them. On the other hand if its not any real damage it might not be enough for an inspector to care about.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

You should look at your lease, and then at whatever tenant resources you can find for your state/city/etc. I have no idea what Washington state is like, but many states and cities have pretty good tenant protection laws to address this sort of thing. For instance, I live in Massachusetts, and there are very strict laws about handling security deposits. If the landlord violates any of them, you are entitled to your full deposit back (and sometimes triple the deposit) even if there were legitimate damages!

After a quick look, how long did it take them to send you this bill? If it was more than 14 days, you can probably recover your deposit. When you moved in, did you receive a statement of condition for the apartment? The landlord was required to issue you one, and if they didn't they have no right to retain your deposit.

The reality is that many landlords will send out some bullshit 'oh yea we're keeping your deposit' letter, knowing that 90% of people will grit their teeth and walk away from it, even where that isn't legal. If you think your landlord is just scummy, letting them know that you're prepared to fight the issue will frequently make them fold - it's often not worth their time to have to go to court for the amount of money, and many landlords know that their bullshit will fall down in court.

The flip side of this is that you have to actually be willing to drag them into court. Try and find a good local resource for tenant help - maybe even call your regional bar association and see if you can get a free referral to speak to a lawyer - and they send your landlord a letter saying 'These items are normal wear and tear on the apartment, and additionally I have consulted with an attorney and believe you are in breach of X and Y. Where's my money, honey!'

Edit: Looking at your summary, I think that 'Carpet needs replacing, three years left' actually means that they are saying that they will need to replace the carpet in ~3 years, and they are charging you for the amount the carpet has depreciated over your tenancy - ie, if they re-carpet every five years, and it costs $1000, they would charge tenants $200 a year to cover this cost. This is total bullshit, because its exactly what is meant by 'normal wear and tear'. They get to charge you for making GBS threads on the carpet or tearing it up, not for walking on it.

Ashcans fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Nov 14, 2011

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Seems like I have a problem to look forward to. Not sure if this would be better suited to the legal questions thread, but I'll try here first.

I have just discovered that our landlord is in foreclosure. Apparently her mortgage holder filed against her in November. Now, our lease is up at the end of February and we were already intending to move, and I assume that the foreclosure process will take longer than that so she'll still be the owner when we move out.

My concern is that I really doubt we'll be able to get our security deposit back. I know for a fact that she has messed around with the deposit account (taking money out and then putting it back a few weeks later, stuff like that) and we already expected her to fabricate a list of damages against us. We'd already been planning having to take her to court to get it back. My concern now is that even if we do that and win (we will), she's going to be broke and imminently homeless, so we'll never be able to collect on the judgement.

So right now, my thinking is that we should just withhold our last month's rent, and instead give her a letter saying, essentially 'We know that you've been loving around with our deposit and aren't going to return it, so we're withholding one month's rent. Suck it.' Withholding rent like this is actually something suggested by MassLegalHelp. Has anyone done this or have any thoughts about it?

We're in Boston, MA.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Drunk Tomato posted:

Isn't it true that if the landlord even so much as touches your deposit, you are entitled to the full amount regardless of cleaning fees and whatever? At least I think it is this way in my state.

This is true for Massachusetts, yes. This is why we had already planned on suing her for the deposit if needed and can count on winning - she has already broken the laws about handling a deposit in multiple ways. But this doesn't help with the fact that the money is probably already gone.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Well if she is comingling operational funds with the escrow account, that rises to the level of criminal. It doesn't matter that she can't pay her mortgage; she won't go to jail for that. But escrow accounts are someone else's money (yours) and that's another whole level of bad poo poo. Even if there is no money in the escrow account, she still owes you that money (or whoever the trustee is in the foreclosure does).

Withholding rent because you anticipate a problem with your security deposit is a really bad idea. A lot of laws don't allow you to withhold rent, and certainly you can't do it in an anticipatory sense. Instead, take pictures of the condition of the unit and document everything. If you fail to pay rent and they sue for eviction, telling the judge that you didn't pay because you thought you'd get screwed out of your deposit will get you laughed out of court and your credit wrecked.

Ok, so we take pictures of everything when we move out. She fails to return the security deposit. We sue her for it. We win, get awarded triple damages (standard in Massachusetts). Now what? If she's broke and foreclosed, she just doesn't have this money - how are we supposed to get it? If the foreclosure trustee is responsible, that means I have to try and extract it from Bank of America (who is foreclosing on her). How does that work if we have already moved out before the foreclosure is finalized or granted? If our tenancy has ended before the transfer of property, I don't think they're still liable for it.

Under the law it seems like we are already entitled for the return of our full deposit. Should we just sue her for it right now, and get a judgement against her? Can we then say 'You owe us this money, so we're withholding the amount from our rent and calling it even'?

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

That probably varies from state. And the fact is, you wouldn't really know if they have touched your deposit without an outside audit of their escrow account. Which you wouldn't really find out about unless you see your landlord doing a perp walk on the 6 oclock news.

I have statements from the bank where the deposit is held that document her transferring funds in and out of the account, and leaving it below the deposit amount. So I am 100% sure that she is mishandling our deposit.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Edit: ^^^ Unfortunately no, she's a total pain to deal with. I have actually shown the statements to a lawyer we talked to about some other issues, and he was totally flabbergasted that she actually set up an appropriate holding account for the deposit and then hosed around with it - most lovely landlords just cash the check and never set anything up to hold it.

The bank mailed us quarterly statements for the account (addressed to me, at the apartment address). I suppose that might have been a mistake on their part, but I didn't do anything to get them, they just turned up in the mail.

Ashcans fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Dec 8, 2011

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Rental agents are complete wastes of space, and I believe that they only exist to help owners avoid discrimination laws. They never provide any sort of useful service to renters, and 95% of the time you are basically paying them to get the gently caress out of the way and let you rent a place.

They were totally unheard of in Atlanta, but you basically can't rent in Boston (where I am now) without using one. I wish that there was a good way to report them to someone for all the skeezy poo poo they do.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Hawkeye posted:

I just rented a place in Boston through a rental agent. It had some good parts (they knew about a place not yet on the market but would be soon - and actually held it long enough for me to drive back up and look at it and decide if I wanted it before they would accept a deposit from others). But, it also had some bad parts.

Not all of them are total poo poo, but often you are effectively paying these people $1000+. For that sort of fee they should be doing a hell of a lot more than just posting stuff on craiglist and, at best, not being a bunch of cocks. I am sure some of them are good (none that I have worked with, sadly) but most of them are lazy, sloppy, and dishonest. This is doubly frustrating when I am paying half the fee or the full fee, because they are clearly working for the landlord at my expense.

quote:

I have a question for the thread. In my signed lease, there is a signed addendum page where it stated we will park in the garage. When I got there and talked to the maitenance guy (not the landlord), all of a sudden I am parking in the driveway. I don't quite get it. Since it is signed in the lease that I must park in the garage, can I bitch about it and park in there? We would prefer it so we don't have to shovel snow off the car.
If your lease says you are supposed to park in the garage, contact your landlord and let them know that it is not available (or whatever the maintenance dude said). No one should have any problems with you trying to comply with the lease obligations, and you can choose to be more forceful about it if you want. Its entirely possible the maintenance guy is just loving aroud without the landlord knowing - why did he say you should park in the driveway rather than the garage?

quote:

Also, kudos for recommending Jamaica Plain moving thread. I really enjoyed walking around the neighborhood and checking out all the restaurants/shops etc.
We would love to move back to JP (we're in Somerville now, which is ok but not the same). Seeing as you apparently had a decent agent, can I ask who you used to get the place?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

It probably varies with area, but yea there are a lot of scams on craiglist. It isn't totally worthless, but you have to get used to filtering out the poo poo. If all the ads you are hitting up end up being scams, chances are that you are shopping under the market rate and so getting snagged by scammers low bait prices. When I use craiglist I set a lower bound to filter out spam.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Escher posted:

I'm moving from Toronto to New York in mid-June. I've never hunted for an apartment in a remote country (or even city), and it seems like a daunting task. Does anyone have any advice for this kind of situation?

This depends a lot on your budget and what you are looking for. You can hire an agent to look for a place for you, but that would be pretty pricy. You could use all the regular search tools and fly to New York to view apartments and sign a lease. That will also not be cheap (but cheaper than an agent).

Lowest cost option is to find someone who is looking to sublet a room or studio for the summer - this will probably be a student who is out of town for the summer and planning to come back to their place in the fall. You take their sublet, and use those months to find a more permanent place. Your biggest challenge here is in getting past people's scam filters.

When I moved from Atlanta to Boston, we spent a few weeks looking for stuff online, and set up a bunch of viewings for one week. My wife flew up to Boston for that week, looked at the half-dozen places, and picked one. It wasn't great, but it worked until we were actually in the city and could look around and make a better choice.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

My experience is that the first thing most landlords do is a credit check. If that comes back great, they'll take a look at your employment information (I have always had to provide my job, how long I've been there, and my salary). If that checks out within their comfort levels, they'll probably just take you without bothering with references.

Now, if you stumble on one of those two hurdles (and it sounds like you'll fall down on the credit check) they'll start checking in with your references to get a better idea of what sort of person you are. Usually past landlords, but also credit references and personnel references (if they ask and if you give them - saying no looks a little bad here).

I agree with Eggplant that you are usually best of owning up to this stuff at the front end. If you tell someone 'Hey, I had some bad luck, I lost my job and had to do X, and so my credit is bad. But I have been a good tenant at this place for six years, I have a good job, here are my references' they are much more likely to give you a chance than if they turn up that lovely credit themselves.

You may also have better luck trying to find somewhere managed by the owner and not a property manager/corporate apartments. The latter are much more likely to have a set policy on credit, etc, that the guy looking at your application can't waive. If you can deal directly with an owner, they can do whatever they feel like (such as cutting you a break).

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Something else to keep in mind is whether your new place has storage. When my girlfriend and I moved in, the place had a pretty big storage shed, so we could store some dupicate stuff there sort of 'in case'. It was a nice option to have, especially for things we weren't sure would work in the house but didn't want to abandon without trying.

Making a list is a good place to start, yea. There are some things that you really don't need in duplicates (dining tables, couches) and others that can be handy to have more of (bookshelves, dressers, tvs if you feel like you want one in your bedroom, for instance). Some of this you can work out in advance, but some of it will probably have to wait until you know where you are moving and can work around the layout/space.

Definitely have a conversation about which dresser is going to be the first to hit the curb if they both won't fit, stuff like that.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

witherlegs posted:

Computer paper boxes make the best moving boxes. They're sturdy, they don't have a seam on the bottom that can rip, and they come with lids. If you know someone who works in an office, ask them to grab a few for you, they are great.

A thousand times this. My wife and I have way too many books, and the only reasonable way to move them all is in paper boxes. Right now I have a dozen stacked up and we'll probably need another five or six. :suicide: They are amazing for pretty much everything, though, they're really durable and just about the perfect dimensions for carrying.

Next best is liquor store boxes, but they're slightly smaller than you really want (unless you are packing some heavy stuff)

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

bobula posted:

I'm trying to determine how it would be living on $860 a month, rent/utilities/gas included. Rent, gas, pets, etc. is going to take $1040 and I make $1600/mo, sometimes $2000 depending on the work.

What? Did you mean excluded?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

psydude posted:

Anyone got experience handling something like this? I'm thinking about telling them to get lost unless they can produce an itemized list.

A couple points to clarify here:

1) Are they charging you (ie, asking you to pay for it) or are they withholding a security deposit you already paid? Not giving them money is much simpler than getting it back from them.
2) When did you move out? Generally there is a time limit on a landlord furnishing documentation like that itemized list. Often this is 15-30 days. If they haven't given you the required documentation in that time, it often means they are out of luck even if you took a poo poo in the sink.

Generally speaking, you should be able to find a tenant's rights book/website for your area. Read it through, and work out what documentation they are supposed to provide you, the time frame for them to do it, and what penalties are involved if they fail.

Once you have this information, you can draft a letter to the company/management saying that you think their claims are bullshit, and also that you feel they may be in violation of X and Y statute. Most landlords, and especially property management companies, are not going to risk dragging the whole thing into court over $150. They rely on people just paying up, and if you don't (and sound like you know enough to be a pain) then they'll back off.

As an example, in Massachusetts a landlord has 30 days to provide an itemized list of damages with copies of receipts, estimates, or bills sworn under the penalty of perjury. If they miss any part of that, they can be held responsible for triple the deposit!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Not sure that you're going to do any better than that. We moved from Atlanta to Boston and ended up using 'U Pack', which is one of the pod companies. It ended up costing us about $1800 for two cubes (About 700 cubic feet) at the end of the day, which was cheaper than what we worked out a truck + fuel would be.

Ditching as much as you have and starting fresh is probably a good option. The only thing that makes moving worthwhile is if you have some nice furniture or a lot of sentimental stuff. If you have a car, see what it would cost you to rent just a trailer?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Well, for 'Am I going to get stabbed' the answer is Spotcrime. Disclaimer: if you live in a city, you are probably going to have crime around you. Deal with it. You can also look at the details of events, sometimes something is categorized as a 'Shooting' and the report is 'Well someone called 911 and said they hear gunshots, but we never found anything so whatever'.

Another good tool is WalkScore. The intent of this is to show you how 'walkable' your area is, but it basically aggregates all sorts of stuff and throws them up on a map, so it can give you a decent sense of the areas character. For example, are the five closest coffee shops Dunkin Donuts? Or are they amusingly named indy shops?

If you want more details about a specific city than that, you can probably find a thread for them and just ask people. Or, you can visit your local library, because there are tons of books like 'Moving to Seattle' and 'Understanding Tacoma' that will give you little blurbs about areas. Obviously check the date on these because what was true in 1998 is not going to be the case any more.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

prefect posted:

I haven't had very good luck with "Relocating to X"-type books, though. You're not going to get brutal honesty, and you're not going to get opinions that will be terribly helpful for you. a
Sure, but they're better than going in completely blind. It's great if you can find some first-hand experience, but sometimes you can't get that (or mot much of it) and you have to make do. I suppose at a stretch you can always be posting on Yahoo Answers or something to get frank opinions.

Dabbo posted:

Right now my boyfriend and I are trying to find a place, but he has no credit and my credit is absolute poo poo. Will it be possible to get a decent place despite this?

Your best option is probably to avoid managed properties and apartment buildings that are run by compannies. You might be able to convince an owner that you are upstanding people despite your lack of/bad credit. Your best shot might be trying to find some sort of sublet/roomshare with some other people where your problems may not even come up. If you can get into a place and sublet for a while, it will give you a landlord reference, which can go a long way. Also time to work on your credit.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Hounding them relentlessly is probably not a bad tactic, yea. You might want to look around and see if there is some sort of group that does advocacy and stuff for clients - depending on your state/locale, they might be pretty heavily regulated even if they are the only game in town. For instance in many states the gas company has to keep you connected during the winter even if you are ridiculously behind on bills, because cutting people off is potentially a death sentence. See if you can find a group that specializes in handling the utility company or, failing that, try your office of consumer affairs.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

It's kind of hard to answer without any sort of information about your setup. Take a picture or something? I mean, I was going to tell you to just slide your bed over a foot and stuff all that crap underneath, but who knows if that would work for you.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Hydrolith posted:

Anyway, I did read the Act and it looks like the landlord/agent does have to be informed and give their permission, but if they refuse they basically have to have a good reason. I can take the matter to VCAT, who can force them to grant me permission to sublet, if they decide that the reason for forbidding it isn't good enough.

If this is a place that you like and would generally like to continue living in for some time, you should think about this pretty carefully. Yea, sure, you can probably force the issue and win, but the end result will be that you have a landlord who resents you. That is never a good thing. On the low end it means that they are more likely to fuss over every detail and try to stiff you whenever possible, and on the high end means that they will do everything in their power to get rid of you. Even if you have pretty robust tenant laws, its unlikely they can prevent a landlord from not renewing your lease or raising your rent each time until it becomes untenable for you.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I did some random googling of the company, and they are registered with the state and the BBB. Interestingly, the BBB has a different website for them. The address that they provide on the site is a virtual office space. The guy who appears to run the whole thing (Andy Starck) also seems to work for Prudential as a real estate agent.

My impression is that it's just one dude who works in real estate, and has set himself up as a leasing/management agent on the side. He throws up a separate website and runs the leasing stuff out of a virtual office to keep it distinct from his main work and make it seem more corporate than just him.

I don't think that it's a straight up scam, though. At least no more than any rental agency!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

That's basically why all apartments have terrible ratings. The management ones tend to get noticed and culled, and anyone else rating tends to be someone with an axe to grind or a legitimately horrendous experience. People who just lived there and it was fine don't bother to post a review.

I mostly gave up on ratings after I noticed how many reviewers talked about how the place used to be nice until THOSE PEOPLE started moving in and now its all gone downhill with drugs and hookers and western civilization is collapsing.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

The 30% is recommended, but its a sad truth that as your income gets low you're just going to have to spend a lot of it on necessities like housing. There were times in grad school when I was spending 40-50% of my income on rent, despite living in a lovely place and sharing it with a bunch of other people. There is simply going to be a lower bound on what housing rents for, and if its more than 30% of your income you suck it up. Or live in your car.

Definitely look for roomates - typically, you can find a two bedroom place that is only marginally more expensive than a one bedroom or studio. You should also revisit those questionable areas and see if you can find somewhere on the border that is tolerable. A last piece of advice is to get out to actual neighbourhoods and beat the streets looking for 'rent' signs. A lot of the time people who are old/luddites/etc will just do that rather than use an agent or listing, and you are more likely to find a deal with them.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Burger Crime posted:

Should I go with UPS or FedEx for my books and computer though or is there a cheaper alternative I haven't thought of?

Unless you need the books urgently, you can probably ship them in reasonably sized boxes using USPS Media Mail for much cheaper than you'll get from Fedex/UPS. You may want to check USPS rates for a lot of stuff, and save UPS/Fedex for more expensive items (I think that you'll get a better insurance rate from them, but I'm actually not sure).

Flate Rate priority boxes are pretty great for smaller items you need in a shorter time frame, too.

Generally, though, it's not worth moving cheap furniture across the country. My hunch is that if your stuff isn't good enough to warrant a real moving service and you're willing to trust it to the mercy of a courier, then it's probably not really worth the cost and hassle of shipping anyway. Do you really have anything that you can't replace on craigslist/thrift stores in a couple weeks?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I guess what I'm asking here is if I should keep nagging this girl or say "gently caress it, she's had enough chances" and find someone else that potentially won't get along with my other two tenants?

I would just send her an email that says 'You said you were sending your lease on the 22nd, I still don't have it. If I don't have a signed lease and deposit from you by April 1 (or whatever) then I will rent the apartment to someone else.'

Copy the other two people on the email so they know what's going on (you mentioned that getting them to put pressure on her hasn't worked, but you can at least let them know that their friend is falling through on them).

Don't let her draw it out with a sob story, either. You seem to have given this girl a shitload of time to get her act together, so as far as being a nice person I would say you've gone well beyond what was needed. Either she gets it done or she's out.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

As of now I only have her email address and phone number. I'm keeping everything in writing for now, but she's gonna get a phone call on the 1st if I don't have her lease by then.

I get that you are trying to stick to email to create a document trail, but there isn't any harm in following up on that with a phone call. So you can send her an email and then the next day call her and basically tell her the exact same thing - it doesn't matter if there isn't documentation of the call, because you already have that covered in the email.

Having said that, you should be thinking about whether this is the sort of person you want for a tenant. She's what, more than a month late getting you a lease and a deposit? What is she going to be like with actually paying rent? With letting you know about stuff?

Something else that just struck me is that for most apartments, I have had to provide my current address and landlord info on the application - did you take applications, or was it much more casual? If casual, you might want to consider using applications - the kind of people that are going to be flakes will just never get the application to you and you can move on with whoever does.

TracerBullet posted:

How much wiggle room would management potentially have on that big monthly increase? Can I stand my ground and ask for a smaller increase, or will they just tell us to walk? We are willing to pay a small amount more, but the additional $300 would be pretty backbreaking.

Any advice would be much appreciated!
Unless your locale has some sort of rent control laws (which is possible but unlikely) you are basically just stuck. That said, you don't have to just swallow the increase, you can always go to the management and say 'Hey, this is crazy, what's up with this increase and why should I pay it?' Depending on what the situation is, they may back down. But they may not, and in that case you have to consider whether the increase is enough to go through the cost and hassle of a move.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Pictures of your actual space would probably be more helpful than pictures of stuff that you like. 800ft is a decent amount of space, but without a good idea of the layout and space it's kind of hard for people to give you any real direction.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

At the end of the day you're only really talking about 6" of additional space. If you have a really tiny room that might mean the difference of being able to open your closet door all the way, but I don't think that msot people will notice the lost space in their floorplan, but might notice it in bed. We have a queen and its great, I think that we would have been ok with a full as well, but the additional room is nice.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

You shouldn't let your mattress just sit on the floor. Not because it makes you look like a slob, but because it prevents ant airflow around and through. Why do you think people have slats instead of a sheet of plywood, or that boxsprings are built like they are? Letting your mattress chill on the floor (or worse, carpet) just makes it get funky faster.

Trilineatus posted:

Grog go sheet shopping. Grog touches sheets. Sheets feel good to Grog? Grog buy these sheets. Sheets 300 thread count? Grog remember for next time. Grog drag sheets back to cave.

-A scene from my life as a terrible linens shopper.

This is the best way to shop.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Yea, two blocks doesn't sound far, but that can be a murderous distance to carry some stuff. Like a china cabinet.

If you can, you might want to think about breaking up the move over several days. If its only two blocks and you can overlap your leases a week, you can easily shuttle a bunch of stuff over in the morning/evening, and then get everyone to finish up with the big stuff on the weekend.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Buy one of those entertainment centers that are designed to mount a massive flat-panel TV, and put the painting in the middle of it.

Out of curiosity, what's the problem with drilling some mounts for it? I can't imagine lugging around something that big/heavy and then not bothering to display it properly.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

The big danger with a window AC is the moment when you are fitting it into place but haven't locked it in - basically when it's mostly likely to overbalance and fall out the window. Doubly bad if you happen to be above the first floor!

You definitely want to put it in the room where you will be spending the most time - and where you can isolate it. Don't try and cool down your entire house with a window AC! So pick your room, close the door, and there you go.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Drunk Tomato posted:

I usually see people's rent increase by about $200-$300 after a year. That's a 10%-20% increase, which is obviously not simply inflation. It is very much standard practice, however, and you should count yourself lucky if your rent manages to remain stable.

drat, where do you live? That's a pretty sharp increase.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Honestly if the boxes are well packed (as in, everything is snug so you won't have four pounds of books crashing from side to side) most tape should be fine. If you are concerned about it, you can buy some reinforced strapping tape. In addition to just being good tape it has fibers running through it, I've never had it fail on anything.

If you are really really concerned, use some speed tape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Femur posted:

Yeah, I live in Houston, I have humidity, and don't bugs fly in if you leave your door/window open?

This is what screen doors and window screens are for.