Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

When I look at trulia it specifically says '...relative to the rest of county'. It may be that you are in the most crime-ridden area of a county/area that is really quiet, so the domestic dispute two houses over six weeks ago is the only thing going on. If you click through to the map it should show you a heat map of the area, as well as a list of actual stuff - thefts, assaults, and arrests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

It's probably a different kind of bait/poison, because they're going to live in different places and eat different things. Ideally if you keep other bugs out you'll also keep spiders away, because they won't have any prey. Probably you had bad luck with a momma spider looking for a snug nesting spot and less concerned about a good feeding ground?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

'Quiet enjoyment' is also balanced by a reasonableness test. It's not reasonable for your neighbor to play the tuba 24/7, so you would probably prevail in that situation. But, it's reasonable for him to walk around his apartment whenever he is home, and it is also reasonable for him to use the appliances provided in the apartment. Now, maybe those installations were poorly considered, but then it would likely be the duty of the landlord to mitigate (they can probably install some sort of pad or footing to reduce vibrations, anyway). But what you are describing is someone who is living in their apartment in a relatively normal way - it's unfortunate that it's disturbing you, but its not clear what is unreasonable about it.

You may also want to consider, as it sounds like this is a family, that discrimination against children and families is forbidden by federal (and most state) law. This means that your landlord may be pretty careful about penalizing someone in a way that looks like it is targeting or discriminatory toward a family because they sure do not want to lump that suit.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

That raises a question I have been mulling over, but I'm considering it separately from Blackchamber's actual issue - he's already spoken with his complex, they said they would send the dude a letter, so it's sort of resolved until the next thing and I don't actually want to debate when is ok to play the tuba (it's always, you should never stop playing the tuba.)

Having said that, 25db is actually really, really quiet, I was trying to work out what that ranged at when it came up and the best I can do is that a 'normal conversation' ranges to 60db and a simple fan is around 40db. The closest I can find is that rice krispies are 30db and and 20db is a whisper (courtesy the less-crazy looking google results). It gets a little tricky depending on how and where you measure, but it suggests that if you can hear almost anything at all from your neighbor, even at the level of a whisper, they'd be in violation. I'm mostly surprised because that's apparently the local ordinance, not just the apartment block. It's basically set to a 'gently caress you' level where you can essentially always cite someone when you get a noise call unless you find out they're mimes or something. Our limit for overnight (11pm - 7am) is 50db for purely residential areas, barring permitted construction activities which can go up to 75db, and has really specific regulations on measurement. Most of the places I've lived don't even have a DB measure, just a plain-language standard.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

You should probably double-check your lease to see if it has anything to say about this; pretty much everywhere I have ever rented has had a line forbidding things like waterbeds and portable washers because of the risk that a tenant is going to gently caress up and flood the place with a cheap/improperly connected appliance. I understand you're planning on sticking it in the tub to avoid that sort of thing, but you probably want to know in case someone is doing maintenance or something and sees it.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

As someone with cats and (former) babies, wood or something similar is definitely the way to go. Babies are top-tier mess makers, that carpet is going to be shot in no time.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Look, you haven't really known joy until you have stepped out of bed onto the beautiful, soft, and natural surface of roiling moth larvae.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

You might be able to use a secretary desk, especially if you are willing to do a little work and gut it of the little array of drawers and shelves typically inside; those will usually fill the space too much for a monitor, but if you can find one without or remove them it would work.

Some idle looking reveals that people also make something called a 'computer armoire' that might work for your uses; what's your budget on this sort of thing?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

If you have a meaningful amount of savings, you could show her that to demonstrate that you can cover any gap reasonably? Honestly this seems like a kind of weird concern to me, I understand if someone is currently unemployed and doesn't have any work, but you have a job lined up and you're starting next week, that doesn't seem like an issue.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I'm surprised the Better Business Bureau still exists. The whole thing is a racket. They're just a club that charges businesses a fee so they can display their stickers. If they get a complaint, they send it to the business. All the business has to do is respond, it doesn't matter how, and the BBB marks it as resolved. That people still care about the BB in the modern age of online reviews, yelp, and whatnot baffles me.

To be fair I would 90% expect a moving company to be owned and run by some grouchy old dude who still thinks his BBB rating is any way important and responds accordingly.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

As soon as you get to the US, get over to the Social Security Administration office and apply for your Social Security Number. The US uses this as a de facto ID, so until you have it expect some headaches on stuff like opening accounts.

Also make sure you get your I-94 from the CBP website so you confirm they didn’t gently caress up also because that is your proof of status for everything.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

25 pictures and not one taken from the property? Shameful. I found some urbex photos in the replies though: https://www.28dayslater.co.uk/threads/bull-sands-fort-humber-estuary-may-2019.118051/

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

If you are the current resident, then it is for you, so you can toss it or burn it or open it and add it to your correspondence binder, whatever you prefer. Nothing addressed to '...or current resident' is anything besides junk and solicitations anyway. No one is sending out bank statements or social security checks like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

You could try a POD service for that. I think the issue with regular movers is that's a small load moving a larger distance, so a small local mover might not be interested in the drive and a larger service is less interested in the small tonnage. You can get a POD dropped off, load it up, and then move it over, assuming you have a couple people each side that's not too bad to handle the load/unload yourself. And if not, it's easier to find a couple guys to help move a couch upstairs than to drive it 400 miles.