Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clevername Lookhere
Jan 9, 2006
Hey everyone, this is kind of a random question but I think it fits here. MY GIRLFRIEND and I are planning to move in together sometime in the near future - luckily we're both on month-to-month leases so we are fairly flexible about when this actually happens. My question is if anyone has advice on planning for this move. I'm not talking relationship-wise (since that would be more of an e/n question), but purely stuff/apartment-wise.

We're both mid/late 20's and as a result have accumulated a lot of the necessities for living like a grown-up. I'm on my own now and she still lives with roommates. I guess what I'm wondering, is what are some strategies we can take to work on starting to combine/pare down the stuff we have (so we don't overlap and have 2 of everything when moving in), plan for what we might need in the new place (for example - dressers/storage/etc enough for 2 people instead of 1), and generally get ready to make this happen.

Maybe I'm overthinking it and it's just as simple as "make a list of what each of you have, eliminate the duplicates, see what's missing" but figured this might be a good spot to ask for advice from people that have done this before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clevername Lookhere
Jan 9, 2006
Thanks for the advice all - very helpful. I'd like to think we are beyond the point of "just in case", but I like the idea of having extra storage space to store some of our major stuff "just in case" something happens to us, or even more likely, in case like you guys said below, we decide we want to save the extra stuff in case we need it, the TV breaks, furniture or stuff wears down or doesn't survive the move, etc.

The extra room idea is also key - we're definitely looking for at least an extra den/bedroom so we can have some additional space to personalize, host guests, have alone time, that kind of thing. Would also be a good spot for our extra dresser, storage, etc since right now it doesn't seem like either of our dressers could accommodate all of our stuff but we couldn't really fit them both in the same bedroom unless it's huge (plus they don't match).

I think that the discussions about money, chores, decoration, whose stuff will be first to go, and all that will also be a very good thing to clear up ahead of time. I've always been more laid back and assumed it will just work itself out, but that makes me realize that the more of that stuff we can figure out before we move in, the less stress we'll have to worry about on top of the normal moving in stress, adjustment of living together, etc.