Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Lightning Knight posted:

I think it’s really meant to be a repackaging if the “why is an ethnostate ok when Israel does it?” talking point, since progressives mostly don’t like Israel but generally were in favor of or ambivalent to Black Panther.

This. It's pretty explicit that Wakanda has no "black identity" because they didn't care what happened to black non-Wakandans and just kicked it in their pleasure dome while Africans enslaved each other, then Arabs enslaved Africans, then Europeans enslaved Africans, then post-colonial fallout turned into decades of grimy civil wars.

And technically you can argue that they mostly skip past black identity to "global identity" (not that conservatives like that either) since at the end they do open a school in Oakland but the overall message appears to be that they're willing to help everyone in the world.

I do legit think that BP kinda gets mistaken as having a really empowering message for black people *in the movie* when instead the movie is kinda vague on that but the real empowerment comes from having a blockbuster film with black heroes and an Afro-Futurist theme, not the plot itself.

Tangential point, but Conservapedia seems to fall into the same weird line of thinking that a lot of the "Christian movie review" sites do, that any depiction of something negative is automatically glorifying it. Like you can have a movie with a villain who smokes cigarettes and has yellow teeth and coughs all the time and all the other characters mention he's gross, and conservatives will still call it "glamorizing smoking." They have this weird pre-1900s concept that figures are uniformly heroic or evil, so they freak the gently caress out whenever a protagonist has any shade of dimensions at all. I can't recall which site it was, but some groups of rightists were bitching that Three Billboards promotes violence and vigilantism because two very broke people are debating killing a rapist. Just no loving sense of nuance or complexity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

JUICY HAMBUGAR posted:

Yeah, reading conservative interpretations of BP is insane, none of them seem like they actually saw the movie. Almost as if they only read some wikipedia article on Wakanda and came up with an awful take on it.

Of course they never saw it, a true conservative would never risk forming an opinion of their own. They just wait for the accepted narrative to be formed by Rush or Breitbart and then relentlessly parrot it without thinking about it.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Epicurius posted:

Non-Wakanda related, but it's interesting that Conservapedia, which, whenever there's a mass killing, speculates on the atheism and liberalism of the perpetrators, isn't mentioning that the Austin bomber is a conservative Christian who was home schooled

Dude had a Free Republic account too

V It was a freeper that pointed it out

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Mar 24, 2018

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

No poo poo? I thought FReep was all 50 year old white dudes, I'd expect the kids to be on r/the_donald or whatever.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

This. It's pretty explicit that Wakanda has no "black identity" because they didn't care what happened to black non-Wakandans and just kicked it in their pleasure dome while Africans enslaved each other, then Arabs enslaved Africans, then Europeans enslaved Africans, then post-colonial fallout turned into decades of grimy civil wars.

I was wondering about graffiti on the walls you see in wakanda. That’s a cultural piece directly related to the underclass and white flight away from the cities. Yet here you have the pleasure dome but with graffiti. So either the wakandans are keyed into American black culture and just don’t give a poo poo to intervene or there is a wakandan underclass.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Ron Jeremy posted:

I was wondering about graffiti on the walls you see in wakanda. That’s a cultural piece directly related to the underclass and white flight away from the cities. Yet here you have the pleasure dome but with graffiti. So either the wakandans are keyed into American black culture and just don’t give a poo poo to intervene or there is a wakandan underclass.

The entire movie is presented through the eyes of the royal family and nobility. If there are social tensions and problems in Wakanda, the movie viewer isn't really in the position to see them.

It is kind of a cliche that dystopian fiction starts out being utopian at first glance (not that I think this is the case here).

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Ron Jeremy posted:

I think stuff like this tends to have a meta explanation of “somebody put an Easter egg in the background without thinking about it too hard,” though.

Nerds analyze things way more in depth than the people making the things usually do.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

I dont know posted:

The entire movie is presented through the eyes of the royal family and nobility. If there are social tensions and problems in Wakanda, the movie viewer isn't really in the position to see them.

Especially since all we see of the city outside the palace is a single street.

And I just figured the conservatives praising the movie for those things just walked out of the theater as soon as the credits started rolling, meaning they wouldn't have seen the mid-credits sequence with T'Challa at the UN talking about sharing Wakandan technology and trying to make the world more united.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ron Jeremy posted:

They explicitly are keyed in to American black culture and don't give a poo poo. Their war dogs are implanted all over the world as spies, wherever there is a large population of downtrodden africans. And for some reason, Hong Kong.

I know there's an African population in Hong Kong, but why on earth was that picked as the third location next to London and New York.

As for the graffiti, Shuri decorated her lab in elaborate murals that look like street art. It might be that graffiti has a different cultural meaning to Wakandans, since they're a society where people are valued over property

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
And people do just like to scrawl on poo poo, if only to say "I was here"

Here's some ancient graffiti on the Great Pyramid.

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

quote:

As far as the Austin bomber, as can be seen HERE, Mark Anthony Conditt's blog listed in his blog roll: Andrew Sullivan, Crooks and Liars, Huffington Post and blog roll links to liberal, mainstream news organizations.

So not only was he a jobless slacker who lacked the Protestant work ethic, but he was surely not a true conservative! Why does the mainstream press avoid this issue? Also, there are no news reports of him attending church regularly as an adult.

Mark Anthony Conditt six years ago: "I view myself as a conservative, but I don't think I have enough information to defend my stance as well as it should be defended." Notice he did not say that "I am a conservative" and merely said I consider myself to be a conservative. And of course, he did not have enough information to defend his positions well. He was too busy reading liberal claptrap

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Fulchrum posted:

They explicitly are keyed in to American black culture and don't give a poo poo. Their war dogs are implanted all over the world as spies, wherever there is a large population of downtrodden africans. And for some reason, Hong Kong.

Is that something out of the comics? Because the movie doesn't imply that they go where downtrodden Africans are, they just have wardogs everywhere. My understanding was that Nakia just happened to be in Nigeria doing undercover stuff, which honestly doesn't even seem like a wardog mission so much as a personal project, and it's not like T'Challa treats her mission against Boko Haram as anything other than an impediment to coming to his kingship ceremony.

I haven't read the comics, but in the movie itself they genuinely don't seem to care about other black people, and even at the very end aside from one Oakland project they just decide to use their tech to help the whole world.

And much like the "Easter egg" theory re the graffiti not really being a plot point, I'd guess that most of the pop-culture references to African-American culture are mostly fan-service and not really meant to indicate a wider identity by Wakandans. Given the whole point of most of the film is that they're hardcore isolationists that only leave their bubble to watch for threats against their country.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Is that something out of the comics? Because the movie doesn't imply that they go where downtrodden Africans are, they just have wardogs everywhere. My understanding was that Nakia just happened to be in Nigeria doing undercover stuff, which honestly doesn't even seem like a wardog mission so much as a personal project, and it's not like T'Challa treats her mission against Boko Haram as anything other than an impediment to coming to his kingship ceremony.

I haven't read the comics, but in the movie itself they genuinely don't seem to care about other black people, and even at the very end aside from one Oakland project they just decide to use their tech to help the whole world.

And much like the "Easter egg" theory re the graffiti not really being a plot point, I'd guess that most of the pop-culture references to African-American culture are mostly fan-service and not really meant to indicate a wider identity by Wakandans. Given the whole point of most of the film is that they're hardcore isolationists that only leave their bubble to watch for threats against their country.

I want to believe that Killmonger's dad was in Oakland as a cultural field trip, like Kim Jong Un's brother going to Disneyland Tokyo.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Lol. "Quick, someone did something bad we've been both wishing to do for years and encouraging people to do. Erase everything and wash our hands of all links to the guy" It's like watching Fox distance itself from everything they had said about Dr. tiller when some nut job shot him because he believed all that poo poo

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Right, like I said, they don't intervene. My interpretation was that their spies live among populations of downtrodden Africans because that makes for better camouflage than being rich. Their mission is to live among those that suffer, just to report back on what is happening, and those who try to help others, like Nakia and N'Jobu, get punished. T'Challa figured out that was hosed up.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

This is great because he also had Freep in his links, but somehooooow that wasn't mentioned here :confused:

E: it's still there at the link they provide, Drudge report is too.

Fathis Munk fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Mar 25, 2018

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Tangential point, but Conservapedia seems to fall into the same weird line of thinking that a lot of the "Christian movie review" sites do, that any depiction of something negative is automatically glorifying it. Like you can have a movie with a villain who smokes cigarettes and has yellow teeth and coughs all the time and all the other characters mention he's gross, and conservatives will still call it "glamorizing smoking." They have this weird pre-1900s concept that figures are uniformly heroic or evil, so they freak the gently caress out whenever a protagonist has any shade of dimensions at all. I can't recall which site it was, but some groups of rightists were bitching that Three Billboards promotes violence and vigilantism because two very broke people are debating killing a rapist. Just no loving sense of nuance or complexity.

See also: the right-wing tabloids that clutched their pearls over Trainspotting when it came out. Because it apparently glamourised drug abuse.

I don't know what the gently caress movie they watched, but nothing in Trainspotting made me think that heroin was cool and good.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Maybe they thought getting to bang under age girls was glamorous?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

iajanus posted:

Maybe they thought getting to bang under age girls was glamorous?

American Beauty is truly the sexiest film of our age. What thread is this btw?

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Conservapedia on Trainspotting

quote:

The film is notorious for its depiction of the Edinburgh drugs scene, and its plot, portraying the ostensible efforts of antihero Renton to escape that milieu. The drug scenes are constructed and filmed in brilliant color, to emphasise the 'highs' that they supposedly provide, by contrast with the depiction of clean, everyday life as grim and colourless. The film's most cited line emphasizes its cynical promotion of drugs, by depicting 'life' as an endless cycle of suburban boredom: Choose life. Choose a job. Choose a starter home. Choose dental insurance, leisure wear and matching luggage. Choose your future. . . . But why would I want to do a thing like that? I chose not to choose life. I chose somethin’ else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you’ve got heroin?

The film's opening song, Lust for Life, was performed by influential punk rocker Iggy Pop, who has struggled with heroin addiction himself. The lyrics include the lines "Yeah, I'm through with sleeping on the sidewalk / No more beating my brains / No more beating my brains / With liquor and drugs / With liquor and drugs." The song was number ten on UGO's list of the Top 11 Uses Of Classic Rock In Cinema.

Defenders of Hollywood values cite this movie as an example of Hollywood telling the truth about the harm caused by drugs, but it shows "cool" people engaging in drugs and enjoying it. This movie, like most Hollywood representation of drug use, portrays the users as sympathetic victims rather than as the perpetrators of evil. For example, the single mother Lesley who eventually lets her baby die from cot death and suggested neglect.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I have a confession: I just this week rediscovered a long, long dormant account of mine on Conservapedia which I'd been sure had been blocked, but I was just spelling the username wrong.

I'm taking a trip down memory lane, looking at weird stuff I've inserted (that is still there), as well as my edits to the Conservative Bible Project.

I *know* the answer is "don't touch the poop", but I can make no promises.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
It's not Freep, I think it's already a level of insanity that you couldn't really affect no matter how crazy you play...

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

jojoinnit posted:

It's not Freep, I think it's already a level of insanity that you couldn't really affect no matter how crazy you play...

Yeah, I worked on the Conservative Bible Project just so I can say that I have, but since it's just a mountain of heresy anyway there's really not much you can do to it other than just flat-out vandalism that'll be reverted.

For articles in general, you could try to add worse information to CP to make it even less credible, but given their few popular pages are mostly about controversial stuff, I'm really not comfortable riling folks yet *further* about Muslims and gays, and trying to turn-down the crazy would just get me blocked.

And for articles that are really conservative-slanted to the point of deception, you can harrumph in and make cognent criticisms disguised as Conservative dedication to objective fact, but the net result of that is just making CP a shittier version of Wikipedia that also happens to have a ton of personal essays about how Dawkins lacks machismo.

Btw, User:Conservative continues to make edits to CP basically every single day, and often multiple dozens of edits. I am genuinely convinced the man has legit medical mental-health issues. I would theorize that he's on Disability or something, but I have seen Wikipedia editors who were legit on Disability and thus treated WP like a full-time volunteer job, and Conservative isn't quite that extreme *most* days but definitly has manic-seeming 24+ hour editing binges.

Just for a recent example, on 24 March (a Saturday) Conservative edited consistently from 7am until noon, then from 4pm until 9:45pm. Then on the 25th (Sunday) did just two edits at 4am, then started in at 3pm until 10:30pm, then a burst of edits at 3am. On Monday he started editing just before 7am and stopped just before 8am, resumed at 7pm and went to midnight (maybe had a job to go to on Monday?). But then Tuesday morning had a half-hour burst of editing at 3am. Whoever he is, he has a weird habit of apparently getting up in the dead of night for 30-60m bursts of editing. I know Conservative has hinted at being more than one person, but his writing style is so consistent, and the scheduling of editing more points to someone who has at least some other obligations, but often edits compulsively and pulls occasional all-nighters or has trouble sleeping and edits to calm down before going back to bed. It's kind fascinating.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

http://www.conservapedia.com/Robert_S._Mueller

this is remarkably fairminded up until about 3/4 of the way through. See if you can spot the point where it goes off the rails.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I followed the link to http://www.conservapedia.com/Deep_state_coup and was not disappointed.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Jesus Christ, they have fully made the transition to alternate reality at this point.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
http://www.conservapedia.com/Atheism_and_deep_state_coups

e: the talk page for deep state coups is even more of a pro-read

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I followed the link to http://www.conservapedia.com/Deep_state_coup and was not disappointed.

This is some homeschooled kid's homework to read, understand and regurgitate.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Jesus Christ, they have fully made the transition to alternate reality at this point.

They didn't before?

Like Scafly has an EE degree and doesn't think i(or j, god you nerds are so pedantic) doesn't exist.

Or the x^2.00000000000.......000000001 or x^1999999.....99999999 stuff.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

PhazonLink posted:

They didn't before?

Like Scafly has an EE degree and doesn't think i(or j, god you nerds are so pedantic) doesn't exist.

Or the x^2.00000000000.......000000001 or x^1999999.....99999999 stuff.

I believe he's also argued irrefutably demonstrated with logic that pi actually equals 3, for some stupid biblical measurements reason.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I believe he's also argued irrefutably demonstrated with logic that pi actually equals 3, for some stupid biblical measurements reason.

Andy's delusional, but he's not that delusional. There's a line in the bible, in 1 Kings 7:23:

quote:

And he made a molten sea, ten cubits from the one brim to the other: it was round all about, and his height was five cubits: and a line of thirty cubits did compass it round about.

Andy brings it up in the Pi article as saying, "Hey, some atheists say this means the bible says pi=3, and so the bible is wrong, but they're idiots, because obviously its just a rounding thing."

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Epicurius posted:

Andy brings it up in the Pi article as saying, "Hey, some atheists say this means the bible says pi=3, and so the bible is wrong, but they're idiots, because obviously its just a rounding thing."

Because back then they didn't take exact measurements because they didn't have the right measuring equipment....but at the same time they were supposedly smarter than us modern day knuckle draggers and built such perfect exact measurement things like an ark and all that poo poo.
Andy's just trying to have his cake and eat it too and it's a sight to behold when he tries to defend two opposites in the same sentence

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They knew that Pi wasn't exactly 3 even back then.

The big circle in Kings was supposedly made by Solomon, but God could make a circle where the ratio of the circumference to the diameter was exactly 3, because Pi only describes that ratio in Euclidean space.

How would you describe this wondrous circle with ratio 3 made by God Himself on non-euclidean spacetime? Using General Relativity, which Andy also hates.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Pi is 3 to one significant digit.

Complaining about some bronze age dude's choice of precision when reporting a measurement in a story is so dumb it even gives Andy Schlafly a chance to be right about something.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Then you can't have your pi at one significant figure.

I'll have it for you. Thanks.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Andy is phenomenally bad at math.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Andy is phenomenally bad at math.

The thing is, he studied electrical engineering, so he’s probably able to be very good at it! His pigheaded beliefs hold him back, though.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I'm sure he's a wiz-bang at measuring things. If he was good at math, "Hey Andy, what's the square root of -1" should be a question he could answer.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 19, 2018

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The thing is, he studied electrical engineering, so he’s probably able to be very good at it! His pigheaded beliefs hold him back, though.

Yeah that's the thing that baffles me the most. Electrical engineering literally doesn't function without i. OK they call it j but still it's the square root of -1. You really can't be an engineer of any type without knowing a ton of math. The entirely of the mathematical system literally can only work if i exists. It doesn't exist in any way we can see but without it math just kind of breaks down. Complex numbers are in fact A Thing and they exist for a reason.

I could understand somebody that doesn't need math being skeptical about i but an electrical engineer? No. Just...no. It makes no loving sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
You all seem to be under the mistaken impression that someone getting a degree in something guarantees that they're smart, competent, and knowledgeable in that field. He probably just regurgitated class lessons onto his tests well enough to not fail out.

• Locked thread