Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
And yet it's hard to go a week without someone on the forums saying, "Idiocracy will come true", for pretty much the same reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
And the same ones who blame Clinton for 9/11 were decrying his attacks on Al Qaeda when he was president as desperate attempts to shift focus away from blowjobgate.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Ad Astra posted:

I want to study Outdoor Recreation.

My ex got her degree in that, it's not what you think. It's not all about running around playing ball games, it's park management and all the legal paperwork stuff.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

jojoinnit posted:

I've had that argument before about Christian oppression during the pre-Renaissance period, and as far as I can tell, Real Christians didn't really exist until about the mid 19th century.

It's like the old Emo Phillips joke:

quote:

Once I saw this guy on a bridge about to jump. I said, "Don't do it!"
He said, "Nobody loves me."
I said, "God loves you. Do you believe in God?"
He said, "Yes."
I said, "Are you a Christian or a Jew?"
He said, "A Christian."
I said, "Me, too! Protestant or Catholic?"
He said, "Protestant."
I said, "Me, too! What franchise?"
He said, "Baptist."
I said, "Me, too! Northern Baptist or Southern Baptist?"
He said, "Northern Baptist."
I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist or Northern Liberal Baptist?"
He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist."
I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region, or Northern Conservative Baptist Eastern Region?"
He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region."
I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1879, or Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912?"
He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912."
I said, "Die, heretic!" And I pushed him over.

"True Christian" is a great term because it has no actual meaning. You get to define it to mean whatever you want and, thus, exclude everyone you want.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

duck monster posted:

I wish Ian Pilmer would examine his own bias's. The guy was a great (if not occasionally bungling and over-agressive) defender of evolution during his battles with Duan Gish. Unfortunately in his new found role as mining company hitman against AGW, he's deploying almost the exact same rhetorical devices the creationists would use against evolution and it really makes me wonder about the guys ethical compass.

When awareness of climate change was just starting to take off, Plimer had some really interesting perspectives on it. He took the geologist's view and looked at it in terms of thousands and millions of years - something nobody else was doing. Well, not doing in the public sphere in layspeak, anyway.

Looking at it in that scale, it didn't seem to bad. Thanks to the earth's natural cycles and really cool stuff like how a warmer world would redistribute millions of cubic kilometres of water across tectonic plates which would in turn affect their balance on the mantle so that the ocean floor would go down and the land would rise up like a goddamn seesaw :science:

He made a great case for the innate ability of the world to balance the change we're doing to it across deep time.

But where Plimer initially fell down was in the human scale of things - decades and centuries. Then, as you pointed out, he started getting paid by Big Coal.

I still have my (very well-read) copy of Telling Lies for God, but I distance myself from everything else Plimer's done since.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

OneEightHundred posted:

Actually part of the added irony is it's not anti-bike, it's just straight-out made for big cars.

Like try making a left turn at a light on a motorcycle. Oh that's right you can't, because like 80% of traffic sensors won't pick up a motorcycle so you either have to run it or wait for a car to pull up behind you.

There are also plenty of intersections which don't go green at all (i.e. a minor road intersecting a major one) without the sensors, so you occasionally can't even go straight. At least on a bike you can cheat and hit the crosswalk signal.

Or you could buy one of these electromagnets designed to generate a large enough magnetic field to trip the sensors under the road.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Bruce Leroy posted:

I've heard a lot of bad poo poo about Wasilla, including that it's the meth and sexual assault capital of Alaska,

Did you also hear how Palin made victims of rape pay for their own rape kits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
And people do just like to scrawl on poo poo, if only to say "I was here"

Here's some ancient graffiti on the Great Pyramid.

• Locked thread