Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Oh I wasn't sure how I was feeling about jailbreaks lately but thanks for telling me that I don't want one, jailbreak thread.

ios threads :jerkbag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
Nothing like pure, fresh iOS

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I dunno man. From what I'm reading iOS 11 is a flaming pile of (bug-ridden) trash. It probably won't be worth it until 11.1 drops, which is (not coincidentally) when most jailbreak groups decide to drop jailbreaks.

Only problem is there aren't really any practicing jailbreak groups anymore!

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

bobfather posted:

I dunno man. From what I'm reading iOS 11 is a flaming pile of (bug-ridden) trash. It probably won't be worth it until 11.1 drops, which is (not coincidentally) when most jailbreak groups decide to drop jailbreaks.

It's fine

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

bobfather posted:

hey man that one JB dude that was relevant six years ago tweeted something tho

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Re: the cydia impactor resigning stuff - tweaks like ex3ender automatically do that for you, no need to connect at all.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Is that just for the iOS 10 jailbreak or could I use it for my 4S on 9.3.5?
edit: Looks like no.

ibntumart fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 29, 2017

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Crime on a Dime posted:

Nothing like pure, fresh iOS

The transition speed of opening and closing folders drives me absolutely batty.
Not a terribly good reason, but hey.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I went to use my iPad Pro 12.9" (1st gen) and it is jailbroken on 10.2. I am using Ext3nder so it automatically resigns the yalu app or whatever. But the other day my battery died and I can't seem to get back to a jailbroken state?

I clicked the yalu102 app 20 times and nothing is happening. It closes immediately, just like all the other jailbroken apps.

Did I do something wrong that is preventing me from being able to re-jailbreak without connecting it to a computer?

Thanks in advance :shobon:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I went to use my iPad Pro 12.9" (1st gen) and it is jailbroken on 10.2. I am using Ext3nder so it automatically resigns the yalu app or whatever. But the other day my battery died and I can't seem to get back to a jailbroken state?

I clicked the yalu102 app 20 times and nothing is happening. It closes immediately, just like all the other jailbroken apps.

Did I do something wrong that is preventing me from being able to re-jailbreak without connecting it to a computer?

Thanks in advance :shobon:

Just delete and reinstall with impactor

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

The Iron Rose posted:

Just delete and reinstall with impactor

OK thank you. But I should be able to lose power/reboot without having to connect to a PC, no?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

OK thank you. But I should be able to lose power/reboot without having to connect to a PC, no?

Ideally, but you might have fallen in a small window where ex3ender didn't catch maybe?

Still goes to show it's kinda funny how we so rarely turn our devices tweaks like ex3ender are practically placebo.

That's an exaggeration in truth, I should be fair. It's genuinely useful, until it's not.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

The Iron Rose posted:

Ideally, but you might have fallen in a small window where ex3ender didn't catch maybe?

Still goes to show it's kinda funny how we so rarely turn our devices tweaks like ex3ender are practically placebo.

That's an exaggeration in truth, I should be fair. It's genuinely useful, until it's not.

Ah maybe that was it. Thank you for clearing it up for me!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The last time I had a iPhone was a 3g, so it’s been a while since I owned a iPhone. The only reason I am thinking about jail breaking is to have iphoneX gestures on my 8. what are the downsides of jail breaking these days?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

ratbert90 posted:

The last time I had a iPhone was a 3g, so it’s been a while since I owned a iPhone. The only reason I am thinking about jail breaking is to have iphoneX gestures on my 8. what are the downsides of jail breaking these days?

You have to stay on older firmwares that aren’t security patched by Apple. For example 11.1.2 isn’t patched for the Spectre, Broadpwn, or KRACK exploits, and it’s vulnerable to the Telugu Messages.app bug.

Once you jailbreak 11.1.2, you can get tweaks to patch the bugs above (SpectrePatch, WiFiFirmwareUpdater, and a few options for fixing the Telugu bug). In fact, the Telugu bug was fixed on my phone about a week before Apple got the official fix out.

There are also tweak options for using the iPhone X gestures on other phones, like Fluidity and HomeGesture.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

bobfather posted:

You have to stay on older firmwares that aren’t security patched by Apple. For example 11.1.2 isn’t patched for the Spectre, Broadpwn, or KRACK exploits, and it’s vulnerable to the Telugu Messages.app bug.

Once you jailbreak 11.1.2, you can get tweaks to patch the bugs above (SpectrePatch, WiFiFirmwareUpdater, and a few options for fixing the Telugu bug). In fact, the Telugu bug was fixed on my phone about a week before Apple got the official fix out.

There are also tweak options for using the iPhone X gestures on other phones, like Fluidity and HomeGesture.

I updated to 11.3 like a security loving fool: :argh:

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

ratbert90 posted:

I updated to 11.3 like a security loving fool: :argh:

Yeah, the only vulnerable firmware now is 11.1.2 and lower. You may have to sit this one out for a while.

Unfortunately, late iOS releases (like 11.3 10.3.x, 9.3.x) don’t get jail broken quickly because by the time they’re out the next version of iOS is typically on the way, and nobody wants to burn their exploits that could possibly be applied to the next major firmware release.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
My GF smashed my jailbroken SE still on iOS 9.something, I got a 6s to replace it and it's on 11.2.6 :qq: I miss having a hosts blocker and five-icon rows so much.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

drat I had no idea Jailbreaking was still good and happening on the X. I miss priority hub so much. I guess that's why my swappa listing for my 7 actually sold because it was still on 10.whatever.

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

I noticed there was a new jailbreak so jumped from 10 not realising Apple had since updated. poo poo. Well that’s me without a jailbreak for I bet about a year.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

hold up did someone say X and jail breaking

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
I’m patiently waiting for an 11.2 jb.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I'm still on 9.3.3. :shobon:

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Cobalt Viper posted:

I'm still on 9.3.3. :shobon:

*High five*

Need that stuff on my phone, but just got a new iPad sadly. Apparently there has been a couple old version jailbreaks over the last year, but you had to be on some specific obscure version. One of these days....

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
More and more apps are requiring 10 which is a little concerning, but the stuff that I use my jailbreak for (SE with scaled resolution so everything isn't crazy cramped / push notifications to a Fitbit Charge) completely outweighs any sort of inconvenience of being stuck on 9.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Cobalt Viper posted:

More and more apps are requiring 10 which is a little concerning, but the stuff that I use my jailbreak for (SE with scaled resolution so everything isn't crazy cramped / push notifications to a Fitbit Charge) completely outweighs any sort of inconvenience of being stuck on 9.

I was completely happy with my SE on iOS 9 until I got my Apple Watch and had to update. There is a ton of things I really dislike about the modern iOS.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Djarum posted:

I was completely happy with my SE on iOS 9 until I got my Apple Watch and had to update. There is a ton of things I really dislike about the modern iOS.
I cringe every time I see someone post a picture of the modern Messages app with all the crazy App Store sticker game poo poo at the bottom.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Cobalt Viper posted:

I cringe every time I see someone post a picture of the modern Messages app with all the crazy App Store sticker game poo poo at the bottom.

almost as bad as the android screen caps with custom font that is p. much just cursive

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Cobalt Viper posted:

You know you can hide that with one tap and never see it again right?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Too bad you can't hide the rest of the OS.

10/11 is absolutely disgusting and Jony needs to be demoted back to Chief Polystyrene Carver.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Cobalt Viper posted:

The Giant fuckoff text everywhere pisses me off more. Thankfully the jailbreak killed that poo poo QUICK.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
Waiting on 11.2 for something hopefully this year.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I got a new out of box ipad 5 yesterday. Havent updated ios yet. I remember back in like 2010, I used jailbreaking to get settings toggles on the swipe down menu, and some other things I can't remember. What do you get out of jailbreaking nowadays?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

underage at the vape shop posted:

I got a new out of box ipad 5 yesterday. Havent updated ios yet. I remember back in like 2010, I used jailbreaking to get settings toggles on the swipe down menu, and some other things I can't remember. What do you get out of jailbreaking nowadays?

Kodi, youtube background playback, an actual file browser for me personally

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I thought you could get Kodi without JB now?

But for me, it's NoSlowAnimations, Disable GameCenterBanner, TinyBar (fix notification shade) and Zeppelin (which isn't required for iPad.)
So not much at all, I admit.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
noslowanimations and youtube background play sounds really good. The ipad is on 10.3.2, whjats the best way to go about saving my blobs etc? Should I update to some version of 11?

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
Definitely don’t go to 11 if you wanna jailbreak. I’m not sure of 10.3.2 but google will know.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Who's got two thumbs and is hoping he saved his blobs correctly to jump from semi-tethered 10.1.1 to 11.3.1?

<-------this guuuuyyyy

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Handen posted:

Who's got two thumbs and is hoping he saved his blobs correctly to jump from semi-tethered 10.1.1 to 11.3.1?

<-------this guuuuyyyy

Is a jailbreak coming for 11.3.1?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Short answer yes.

• Locked thread