Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Is a jailbreak coming for 11.3.1?

~Coxy posted:

Short answer yes.

cool so can I finally upgrade from 8.1.2?

I hate hate hate the new app switcher screen, and most of the other ios10 stuff, but I'd like to be able to update some of these 4 year app versions. and download any new one that requires 9+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Bummey posted:

cool so can I finally upgrade from 8.1.2?

They stopped signing 11.3.1 like a week or two ago, so only if you have the blobs for it.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

TVs Ian posted:

They stopped signing 11.3.1 like a week or two ago, so only if you have the blobs for it.

cool

i don't

i didn't know it was out or there was a deadline

i don't follow phone news anymore

guess it's another 4 years with 8.1.2

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Bummey posted:

cool

i don't

i didn't know it was out or there was a deadline

i don't follow phone news anymore

guess it's another 4 years with 8.1.2

Start saving your blobs!

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

https://twitter.com/electra_team/status/1014396625383448576

my_longest_yeah_boy_ever.avi

:getin:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
OK I have an iPad Pro 13". I should update to the newest ios asap??

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

OK I have an iPad Pro 13". I should update to the newest ios asap??

Newest iOS is 11.4, which has no jailbreak.

Upcoming jailbreak is for 11.3.1 or lower.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

bobfather posted:

Newest iOS is 11.4, which has no jailbreak.

Upcoming jailbreak is for 11.3.1 or lower.

Oh drat.

Seems like 11.3.1 isn't being signed any longer so I'll be stuck on ios10 for quite a while longer I guess

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Lol I was like “I must be ok 11.4, drat” nope I’m on 11.2 somehow.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Am I missing any big security stuff being on 11.2.6?

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201222

Yes.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

It's out. https://www.reddit.com/r/jailbreak/wiki/electrajailbreak

I'm excited because I just got a new iPad on 11.3.1, but I missed all the update/blob saving windows for my phone that's still on 9.3.3. Which means...

lol gently caress me :suicide:

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

The new jailbreak is great. Also, Sleipnizer (adds gestures to Safari like Firefox and Chrome mouse gestures) got an iOS 11 update recently so browsing with an iPad Pro 12.9" isn’t such a chore anymore.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Is there a jailbreak twitter account or something I can follow/enable notifications to hear when I need to update and blob to get in on the next jailbreak? A website that does it? Something so I don't have to constantly keep up to date with this stuff?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Bummey posted:

Is there a jailbreak twitter account or something I can follow/enable notifications to hear when I need to update and blob to get in on the next jailbreak? A website that does it? Something so I don't have to constantly keep up to date with this stuff?

redmondpie.com isn’t too bad.

For Twitter just follow coolstar. He’s behind the most recent jailbreaks and a loudmouth to boot, so he’ll often comment on other people who mention jail breaking also.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

bobfather posted:

The new jailbreak is great. Also, Sleipnizer (adds gestures to Safari like Firefox and Chrome mouse gestures) got an iOS 11 update recently so browsing with an iPad Pro 12.9" isn’t such a chore anymore.

I'm on an iOS 10 jailbreak. Does that mean I can "convert" to an untethered jailbreak on it yet?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I'm on an iOS 10 jailbreak. Does that mean I can "convert" to an untethered jailbreak on it yet?

Do you have blobs for 11.3.1 or below saved?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

bobfather posted:

Do you have blobs for 11.3.1 or below saved?

Sorry if I'm reading this wrong but can't I just save the blobs I am on now? Or are you only allowed to save them while Apple is signing that firmware?

If it's the latter I'm pretty sure I saved them (though I admit I don't remember where I saved them to). Is there some sort of permanent jailbreak if I did save them?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Sorry if I'm reading this wrong but can't I just save the blobs I am on now? Or are you only allowed to save them while Apple is signing that firmware?

If it's the latter I'm pretty sure I saved them (though I admit I don't remember where I saved them to). Is there some sort of permanent jailbreak if I did save them?

Right, Apple isn’t signing 11.3.1 or lower, anymore. Just 11.4 which can’t be jail broken.

If you have the blobs for 11.3.1 or lower, you can use a tool called FutureRestore to upgrade your jail broken phone directly to that OS version, even if Apple isn’t signing it.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

bobfather posted:

Right, Apple isn’t signing 11.3.1 or lower, anymore. Just 11.4 which can’t be jail broken.

If you have the blobs for 11.3.1 or lower, you can use a tool called FutureRestore to upgrade your jail broken phone directly to that OS version, even if Apple isn’t signing it.

Oh ok, thank you. That will give me an untethered jailbreak somehow?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Oh ok, thank you. That will give me an untethered jailbreak somehow?

Could if you have all the pieces right. Small correction though - the new jailbreaks are all semi-untethered. You load a jailbreak app onto your phone that expires every 7 days unless you have a paid developer account, and then the app expires after 365 days.

While the app is unexpired, you can use the app to jailbreak. If the app expires you need to load it again. If you reboot your phone in a jail broken state, it reverts to being unjailbroken until you run the app again. Hence the semi-untethered.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

bobfather posted:

Could if you have all the pieces right. Small correction though - the new jailbreaks are all semi-untethered. You load a jailbreak app onto your phone that expires every 7 days unless you have a paid developer account, and then the app expires after 365 days.

While the app is unexpired, you can use the app to jailbreak. If the app expires you need to load it again. If you reboot your phone in a jail broken state, it reverts to being unjailbroken until you run the app again. Hence the semi-untethered.

Ah OK. That's pretty much what I have now anyway. Thank you! 😊

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
So how do blobs work? Can you only do that on an iOS still being signed? Like, this iPad is on 11.3.1 so can I save it to come back eventually?

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

bobfather posted:

I haven't paid any attention to jailbreaking since IOS8, and that was a full untethered jailbreak so I'm unfamiliar with semi-untethered. So without a paid dev account, I'd have to connect my iphone to a PC and redo the whole jailbreak process every week? The unjailbroken-on-reboot isn't a big deal but having to redo the whole thing every 7 days sounds annoying.

IncendiaC fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jul 9, 2018

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Why can't blobs be spoofed or bypassed in some way?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

IncendiaC posted:

I haven't paid any attention to jailbreaking since IOS8, and that was a full untethered jailbreak so I'm unfamiliar with semi-untethered. So without a paid dev account, I'd have to connect my iphone to a PC and redo the whole jailbreak process every week? The unjailbroken-on-reboot isn't a big deal but having to redo the whole thing every 7 days sounds annoying.
As long as you don't reboot your phone you're jailbroken forever. If your phone crashes or runs out of battery (or you want to reboot it), you'll have to launch an app on your phone in order to re-jailbreak it. If you don't have a dev account that app only works for 7 days, so the alternative is to hook your phone up to a computer and jailbreak it that way.

Semi-untethered isn't really that huge of an issue most of the time. Most people rarely fully shut down their phones these days so you don't really run into the issue as often as you'd might think.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

American is right on the money. To add one more thing to what he posted, the semi-untethered jailbreaks are nice because when you reboot, your phone is fully back to stock.

Stock as in, you’ll pass whatever diagnostics Apple runs at the store without issue.

Very useful if you ever need to get service done by Apple (like the recent free battery replacement for all 6s users).

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

bobfather posted:

Very useful if you ever need to get service done by Apple (like the recent free battery replacement for all 6s users).

The what now?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Many/most 6s users are eligible for a free battery replacement from Apple. There’s a serial checker if you search for it.

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.

IncendiaC posted:

There are tweaks on Cydia like Ext3nder that will resign the jailbreak automatically before it expires. That way you never have to hook it up to a pc again.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yup, my Electra app is now valid for a year and when it gets closer can just resign it.

I now have the + resolution and the X gestures on my 8, at this point I’m now just waiting for Ryan to update VideoPane with iOS 11 compatibility (it’s not gonna happen).

The best bit about getting the iPhone X gestures is that I can now activate Contol Center with the keyboard active, that always bugged the poo poo out of me.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

bobfather posted:

I really really want to get back in a jailbroken phone to get rid of all of the little iOS annoyances and use my little tweaks but Electra will simply not jb my X.

I have tried everything, every which way, but it won’t go past “2/3” and then the app turns black.

Does anyone have a solution or fix for this?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Turn off Siri, turn on Airplane mode, open the task switcher and kill all apps except Electra, then keep trying.

First jailbreak on my 6s+ took about 10 tries. iPad Pro was 3 tries. Some people have reported 30+ tries on their devices.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

bobfather posted:

Turn off Siri, turn on Airplane mode, open the task switcher and kill all apps except Electra, then keep trying.

First jailbreak on my 6s+ took about 10 tries. iPad Pro was 3 tries. Some people have reported 30+ tries on their devices.

I had all of those conditions present but I gave up after about a dozen tries. I guess I just need to keep going.

How stable has the actual jb been?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don’t have an X, but what works for me almost immediately on my 8 (I’ve had to jailbreak it a couple times due to tweak issues):

1. Make sure there aren’t any iOS updates downloaded to your phone (Settings->General->Storage). If there is one, delete it—when Electra soft restarts as part of the exploit, the update tries to run and fucks everything up.
2. Enable airplane mode.
3. Disable Find My iPhone
4. Enable Assistive Touch (Settings->General-Accessibility).
4. Open up multitasking and swipe all the apps out.
5. Reboot the phone
6. Open Settings, go to General, then Shutdown. Once you see the “Slide To Power Off” press and hold the virtual Home button in Assistive Touch. The screen will flash white.
7. Go back home, then open multitasking and swipe away Settings.
8. Open Electra and hit Jailbreak.

The first time will fail. That’s part of the JB process as far as I can tell. Just keep repeating steps 6-8, it should only take a couple times before you’re jailbroken.

Disabling Siri has no effect, airplane mode might be a placebo, but making sure that there aren’t any downloaded updates and that Find My IPhone is disabled (and that the ram is cleared out) seem to be the keys to success.

As for stability, I did wake up the other morning to find that my phone had restarted overnight and had to rejailbreak it (and then do it AGAIN because rebooting an iPhone with a non-native resolution set causes graphical issues). And don’t be like me and try to install tweaks that haven’t been reported as compatible, one broke Electra and I had to wipe it from my phone and start again.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jul 22, 2018

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

spongeworthy posted:

I had all of those conditions present but I gave up after about a dozen tries. I guess I just need to keep going.

How stable has the actual jb been?

100% stable, dependent on whether you’re installing good tweaks or not. There’s a Cydia package called tweakcompatible that can give you advice on whether a tweak is good or not.

Also, once you successfully jailbreak once, successive jailbreaks don’t take long. There was a Cydia update recently that required you to reboot and my 6s+ came back after 2 tries, iPad Pro on the first try.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also, make sure you download Ext3nder and extend the Electra certificate for a year. The cert Cydia Impactor uses is only good for a week.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
I give up for now. I had the following:

- Siri off (never been on)
- Airplane mode on
- Restrictions off
- Find my iPhone off
- Assistive Touch on (screen never flashed white when holding on power off screen)
- All apps closed out
- No pending upgrades downloaded

I tried this with two separate iTunes accounts on two computers with different USB cords and attempted it over 40 times probably. It simply will not go past 1/3 or 2/3 -- half the time the Electra app turns black and the other half it reboots but returns to the same state.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

spongeworthy posted:

I give up for now. I had the following:

- Siri off (never been on)
- Airplane mode on
- Restrictions off
- Find my iPhone off
- Assistive Touch on (screen never flashed white when holding on power off screen)
- All apps closed out
- No pending upgrades downloaded

I tried this with two separate iTunes accounts on two computers with different USB cords and attempted it over 40 times probably. It simply will not go past 1/3 or 2/3 -- half the time the Electra app turns black and the other half it reboots but returns to the same state.

If you really need to have it, the dev version (multipath version) has a much higher success rate. Maybe you have a paid dev account, or maybe you know someone who does.

There are also signing services that will sign the dev version for you for a small fee.

Plus of the multipath version is that the certificate is good for 1 year instead of 7 days, so your Electra app won’t expire for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

bobfather posted:

If you really need to have it, the dev version (multipath version) has a much higher success rate. Maybe you have a paid dev account, or maybe you know someone who does.

There are also signing services that will sign the dev version for you for a small fee.

Plus of the multipath version is that the certificate is good for 1 year instead of 7 days, so your Electra app won’t expire for a while.

Thanks, going to give the multipath version a shot. I can't locate any of these signing services - have a link?

e: after attempting with multipath and getting "error: exploit" I re-tried with the vfs version and it installed Cydia. The first reboot I hit "Enable jailbreak" (as described https://www.reddit.com/r/jailbreak/wiki/electrajailbreak in step 11) - so I press that and it gets to 1/3 and reboots. Cydia crashes immediately upon opening. I've now tried Enable Jailbreak a ton of times just like the initial step. I miss the old days.

e2: finally success. Now to waste part of my day with this.

spongeworthy fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 22, 2018

• Locked thread