Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tikan
Apr 30, 2009

DaNzA posted:

Yeah but for people who doesn't care it's as hard as learning unix/linux to them.

Not really, using IphoneExplorer is as easy as windows explorer, I have no computer knowledge outside windows and it was extremely easy to follow directions and change icons/sms tones/themes back when I cared about that crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

DaNzA posted:

Yeah but for people who doesn't care it's as hard as learning unix/linux to them.

No, it really isn't dude.

Apps
Oct 3, 2009
I've been having issues with my camera app lately, where most of the time (but not all of the time), when I load it up it'll just hang on the shutter screen and not show me the viewfinder or let me take a picture. Has been happening off and on since sometime 3 months ago and I don't really remember anything that could have caused it. Just running a normal jailbreak with only the basics (bitesms, activator, lockinfo) installed. Rebooting/respringing also has no effect on the problem.

Could a certain file have gotten corrupted somehow? Why does it only happen 80% of the time, but other times it loads up just fine?

More confusing than anything but it's also gotten annoying when I come across a situation where I'd really like to take a picture but simply can't.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

DaNzA posted:

You don't even need to "learn unix/linux"

You need to learn how to use ssh, sftp (or scp), cp, mv, rm, ls, cd. ssh and sftp are as simple as typing in a user and password, and the rest require literally no skill at all to use.

I don't get how people think it's hard to do. You just type poo poo in.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
One time I typed poo poo in and it just said command not found. :-/

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

Linnear posted:

EDIT: Success! itunes, apple, their wires and their devices... are apparently fickle beasts. This is my first time ever having an apple device, so it's all new to me. My desktop PC evidently has more solid USB ports than my laptop and things went rather smoothly. I'm now on 4.2.8, and evidently my carrier settings were also updated, which made the phone work again with calls.
Unless the USB port in the laptop is loving up, most likely the Apple Mobile Device drivers for your iPhone got hosed up. Uninstalling all the iPhone stuff from Device Manager/Removing Apple Mobile Device them from Add/Remove Programs/re-installing iTunes probably would have probably fixed it.

quote:

So, all that panic was for nothing, I guess. I'm wondering if the jailbreak was part of the problem at all. Do carrier updates and jailbroken iphones conflict in some major way? Well, I'm going to take a long break from jailbreaking either way.
The issues you faced have absolutely nothing to do with jailbreaking.

ndrz
Oct 31, 2003

Was on 4.2.1 with the 1.59.00 baseband. Updated something in Cydia, which perma-locked my phone.

Had to spend an hour after my bedtime getting to 4.3.3 with 1.59.00. :|

CHRISTS FOR SALE
Jan 14, 2005

"fuck you and die"

withak posted:

One time I typed poo poo in and it just said command not found. :-/
You gotta type "poo poo in", duh..

coldfire07 posted:

Was on 4.2.1 with the 1.59.00 baseband. Updated something in Cydia, which perma-locked my phone.

Had to spend an hour after my bedtime getting to 4.3.3 with 1.59.00. :|
You have the best avatar ever.

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
The iPhone is my lifeblood. I recently switched to a regular non data plan phone to save money. Late last night it fell through my puppies crate while I was sleeping, dreaming. The phone was obliterated by the dog. It was a sign to me that I needed to go back to my jailbroken iPhone.

Here is the issue. I jailbroke my iPhone before this whole thing went down. When I reactivated my iPhone, I was having some issues with the phone (phone wouldn't dim/lock after inactivity, screen was sometimes unresponsive). I decided using the "wipe everything" button on the phone would fix my problems and I could start anew.

After I did that, when I try to boot it up, it does the apple logo/skull jailbreak loading icons but freezes and never gets past the loading screen of the skull. I try connecting it to the computer but itunes won't see it, so I can't restore an earlier version. It will charge though. I don't think the computer can see it since it can't get past the load screen.

What are my options?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Progression Please posted:

Here is the issue. I jailbroke my iPhone before this whole thing went down. When I reactivated my iPhone, I was having some issues with the phone (phone wouldn't dim/lock after inactivity, screen was sometimes unresponsive). I decided using the "wipe everything" button on the phone would fix my problems and I could start anew.

After I did that, when I try to boot it up, it does the apple logo/skull jailbreak loading icons but freezes and never gets past the loading screen of the skull. I try connecting it to the computer but itunes won't see it, so I can't restore an earlier version. It will charge though. I don't think the computer can see it since it can't get past the load screen.

What are my options?
If you try to do "wipe everything" on a jailbroken phone, it will lock up. What you've been trying to do is put it in recovery mode. Put it into DFU mode and it will work.

Marvel
Jun 9, 2010
I just rejailbroke after a long time. What's up with MobileTerminal crashing?

EDIT:

Oh. Cydia says:

"Note: this version of MobileTerminal is not yet compatible with iOS 3 or 4"

Marvel fucked around with this message at 07:54 on May 22, 2011

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?
I tried the instructions here:

http://www.iphonetechie.com/2010/08/tutorial-on-how-to-download-and-install-mobile-terminal-4-26-for-ios-4-4-0-1-on-iphone-4-3gs-ipad-3-2-1/

and it seemed to work.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
That's too much work. Just add the insanely repo (google that) and it will have a new version of mobile terminal that works.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Are there any bosspaper/wallpaper changers for the iPad? So far I can't seem to find one. Bosspaper does not work properly with the iPad, and I guess the dude isnt going to be updating it.

jdubbya
Jan 14, 2009

Knives and Hot Dust posted:

Nothing works. OpenSSH does not work with WinSp for me. Mobile Terminal does not work on my iPod. Is there any point in jail breaking for me now?
Edit: by not working I mean mobileTerminal crashes immediately upon opening.

The mobile terminal you find in cydia is an outdated pile that should have been removed like five years ago.

A little google will yield the steps you need to take to get the working terminal installed.

Hint: you have to add a repo in cydia. (easiest way)
edit: Beaten! I should have read all 3 pages of the thread before replying :(

And OpenSSH: I remember getting 'failed to connect' errors a few times before i finally got connected to my device. Only happened the first time, i initially connected after installing winscp, and ophenssh on my device. Once i got the 'blah blah key' message, and saved it, it worked fine every time after. All i can think, is make sure you have the right ip address for you phone!
edit: wait, can you connect to your device? Or once you're connected, you dont know what to do?

jdubbya fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 22, 2011

penga86
Aug 26, 2003

GIG 'EM

Apps posted:

I've been having issues with my camera app lately, where most of the time (but not all of the time), when I load it up it'll just hang on the shutter screen and not show me the viewfinder or let me take a picture. Has been happening off and on since sometime 3 months ago and I don't really remember anything that could have caused it. Just running a normal jailbreak with only the basics (bitesms, activator, lockinfo) installed. Rebooting/respringing also has no effect on the problem.

Could a certain file have gotten corrupted somehow? Why does it only happen 80% of the time, but other times it loads up just fine?

More confusing than anything but it's also gotten annoying when I come across a situation where I'd really like to take a picture but simply can't.

My buddy came in for the weekend and mentioned that he had to download a jailbroken camera app because the default one on the phone was way too slow, and would crash if he tried to do video. I've had the problem with it being super super slow, but i'm still able to do video and such. Just slow. I have the same programs running that you do.

Apps
Oct 3, 2009
Never thought to try Camera+ or whatever. I'll check that out now.

Apps
Oct 3, 2009
drat that didn't work. There goes 2 double cheeseburgers lol.

ReidStylez
Sep 7, 2010

Resident Turbo Hayabusa Expert
Anyone used dreamboard?

Do I have to uninstall winterboard?

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Just jailbroke my ipt3g on 4.3.3, but found that the rotation inhibitor toggle doesn't work. Are there any alternatives? I couldn't see any.

Antigen v2.0
May 16, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Bleak Gremlin
Anyone else installed untrackerd to disable the "unintentional" automatic location tracking? I didn't feel like spending the time to map my location file like others did but I checked and it was 270MB , I kinda wish I had. I think that file has tracking info of everywhere I went for 3 years...freaky.

ghost
Jul 23, 2002

Antigen v2.0 posted:

Anyone else installed untrackerd to disable the "unintentional" automatic location tracking? I didn't feel like spending the time to map my location file like others did but I checked and it was 270MB , I kinda wish I had. I think that file has tracking info of everywhere I went for 3 years...freaky.

First, I think you can just install the newest version of iOS and it doesn't keep but a few days of location cache. Second, I don't think it started keeping a cache until iOS 4, so it's more like a year's worth of data (and usually only when your device requested--with your knowledge--to use location services). Just sayin'.

mister ginger
Jul 5, 2005

ReidStylez posted:

Anyone used dreamboard?

Do I have to uninstall winterboard?

I bought it on a whim of boredom the other night. I don't think there is a need to uninstall winterboard, it seems to run over springboard.

FiTreDawG
Oct 7, 2006
We Are... Marshall
Can someone explain why this stupid error 1013 happens? I know how to fix it, I just don't understand why it happens in the first place?

I've dealt with it every time I've jailbroken since 4.0 (?) and forget about it everytime until I panic... google, and calm down.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

FiTreDawG posted:

Can someone explain why this stupid error 1013 happens? I know how to fix it, I just don't understand why it happens in the first place?

I've dealt with it every time I've jailbroken since 4.0 (?) and forget about it everytime until I panic... google, and calm down.

That's the host file error, I believe. Removing the gs.apple.com listing in your hosts file should get rid of that error.

Edit: And it occurs because the host file error prevents the iDevice from restoring to Apple's stock settings?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I have an app identification request to make.

There was an app I came across some time ago that replaced the PIN-code keypad with a 3x4 grid of dots that you would connect by drawing/swiping instead of pressing individual # keys. I can't recall the name or repo it may have been on and my google-fu is failing me. Any help?

*edit* I'm assuming it's a winterboard thing which is why I posted here instead of the usual app thread.

*edit2* It's always when you give up to ask that your brain catches a hint.

Android Lock is the answer! (Android Lock XT lets you skin it)

Zigmidge fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 23, 2011

Antigen v2.0
May 16, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Bleak Gremlin

ghost posted:

First, I think you can just install the newest version of iOS and it doesn't keep but a few days of location cache. Second, I don't think it started keeping a cache until iOS 4, so it's more like a year's worth of data (and usually only when your device requested--with your knowledge--to use location services). Just sayin'.

I started reading and people who had plotted the location data were saying it had cached everywhere they went and they only had like 30-70 megabyte files.

Cheeze Kuyeh
Jul 5, 2008

i am monocle
Is there a decent flash viewer for os 4.x?

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Cheeze Kuyeh posted:

Nope.

Your options are either Frash (terrible, buggy, piece of poo poo jailbreak application which I'm not even sure works on the current iOS version) or Skyfire (available in Apple's App Store--an alternate browser which converts Flash videos to HTML5, but sucks pretty bad at doing it).

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Is that you, John Wayne? Is this me?
There's an app called Cloud Browse that let's you view flash. It basically connects you to a computer and you're seeing what the computer sees, but if flash is an absolute necessity, it would work.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Cheeze Kuyeh posted:

Use iSwifter. I like it better than Skyfire for viewing flash videos.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.
Tiny Umbrella has been updated to work with 4.2.2 on the ATV, hooray!

Cheeze Kuyeh
Jul 5, 2008

i am monocle

maduin posted:

Nope.

Your options are either Frash (terrible, buggy, piece of poo poo jailbreak application which I'm not even sure works on the current iOS version) or Skyfire (available in Apple's App Store--an alternate browser which converts Flash videos to HTML5, but sucks pretty bad at doing it).

Yeah, I asked cause I just gave frash a shot and it doesn't work on 4.x. Thanks guys.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I mentioned this a month or so ago, but seriously, the last 2 jailbreaks (and I've done a totally clean restore and not worked from a backup.) have made it so my Answer Call button, my Speakerphone button, etc... take about a million taps to respond before working.

Example case: I receive a call. My screen lights up with the caller and at the bottom is an Answer & an Ignore button. The I tap the answer button. Nothing. Doesn't even visually respond that it's been tapped. I keep tapping. About 10 seconds later I can answer the call.

The only reason this hasn't been a bigger issue is I just don't make & receive a ton of phone calls.

But still, it's annoying the poo poo outta me.

Anyone else?

(iPhone 4, 4.3.3 Jailbroken.)

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Feenix posted:

I mentioned this a month or so ago, but seriously, the last 2 jailbreaks (and I've done a totally clean restore and not worked from a backup.) have made it so my Answer Call button, my Speakerphone button, etc... take about a million taps to respond before working.

Example case: I receive a call. My screen lights up with the caller and at the bottom is an Answer & an Ignore button. The I tap the answer button. Nothing. Doesn't even visually respond that it's been tapped. I keep tapping. About 10 seconds later I can answer the call.

The only reason this hasn't been a bigger issue is I just don't make & receive a ton of phone calls.

Anyone else?

I haven't had that problem at all, and I've got the same setup as you. The only time I've ever had a problem answering was when there was a bad smudge on the screen and I couldn't slide to answer. That hardly ever happens though.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Feenix posted:

Anyone else?

Any :spergin: themeing/lockscreen stuff installed?

I'm on 4.3.3 jailbroken and do not have this problem.

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

LamoTheKid posted:

Any :spergin: themeing/lockscreen stuff installed?

I'm on 4.3.3 jailbroken and do not have this problem.

That's a good question. Feenix, you should check that for sure. I had a lockscreen them installed and when the answer buttons would show up, I had to tap at the very top of the buttons to make them respond.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Feenix posted:

Anyone else?

Seems to be just you. Did you try going vanilla to see if it persists? Great way to get a replacement if so.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
It's definitely Jailbreak related, and not my plain phone.

I'll check if there are any theming remnants, but I don't think so. Like I said I started from scratch on this new Jailbreak. Didn't restore anything from previous backups. Possibly something in Winterboard I may wanna take a peek at.

Oh wait, you know what I DO have? SliderMod HD. I could remove that and check, I suppose. But you'd think you'd hear more bitching if that was the culprit.

[edit]

I think I have it figured out. It's not that the button is unresponsive. It's that you have to tap it high on the button. (for both Answer Call and for Hide Keypad)

I bet this is Activator Related. Activator has screwed up the bottom part of the screen before.

Still a nuisance but at least now I can answer my rarely received phone calls instantly by tapping in the right place.

Thanks.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

perhonen
May 7, 2007
My friend has an Iphone 3GS running a pre-4.0 firmware, unlocked and jailbroken. He wants to upgrade to a 4.0+ firmware. What is the best way to go about this? If I upgrade through itunes, then jailbreak it, would he lose his unlock? I went to caniunlock.com and it looks like he would be eligible for the unlock.

• Locked thread