Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Crumbbley
Jun 5, 2007
Hey I just jailbroke my iPod touch 4g.

I was wondering if there were any good sites out there that let you see all the different apps and themes in Cydia. Because trying to look at everything through the iPod Cydia browser is really annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

frenziedslacker posted:

My friend has an Iphone 3GS running a pre-4.0 firmware, unlocked and jailbroken. He wants to upgrade to a 4.0+ firmware. What is the best way to go about this? If I upgrade through itunes, then jailbreak it, would he lose his unlock?
Yes he would.

You need to restore using a custom 4.3.3 firmware that preserves the older unlockable baseband. You can use sn0wbreeze (Win) or PwnageTool (Mac) for this.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

Mr Crumbbley posted:

Hey I just jailbroke my iPod touch 4g.

I was wondering if there were any good sites out there that let you see all the different apps and themes in Cydia. Because trying to look at everything through the iPod Cydia browser is really annoying.

This might be what you are looking for:

http://planet-iphones.com/cydia/

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Feenix posted:

It's definitely Jailbreak related, and not my plain phone.

I'll check if there are any theming remnants, but I don't think so. Like I said I started from scratch on this new Jailbreak. Didn't restore anything from previous backups. Possibly something in Winterboard I may wanna take a peek at.

Oh wait, you know what I DO have? SliderMod HD. I could remove that and check, I suppose. But you'd think you'd hear more bitching if that was the culprit.

[edit]

I think I have it figured out. It's not that the button is unresponsive. It's that you have to tap it high on the button. (for both Answer Call and for Hide Keypad)

I bet this is Activator Related. Activator has screwed up the bottom part of the screen before.

Still a nuisance but at least now I can answer my rarely received phone calls instantly by tapping in the right place.

Thanks.

I've got the latest version of Activator installed and my buttons are perfectly responsive. I also have a stock Lockinfo installed, no slidernmod. Worksforme.

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
I've noticed the same thing on my phone Feenix. I always just assumed it was either SlantedLock, or the strange "ios4.3 noslider.theme" that I used to get rid of the slider.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
For what it's worth, I've had both "Slide to Answer" and the Answer/Decline buttons fail on me numerous times on my unjailbroken phone. I'm still not sure why, because other times they'll work flawlessly.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Unresponsiveness usually comes with running out of RAM. I'd blame something like WinterBoard or other stuff first.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Is there a way to fully backup my iphone to my harddrive through SSH or some other mean? What I'm looking for specifically are my notes, text messages, and photos being saved in the event of either loss or theft. Presumably these are all saved on the iphone's explorable hard drive, right?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Bouchacha posted:

Is there a way to fully backup my iphone to my harddrive through SSH or some other mean? What I'm looking for specifically are my notes, text messages, and photos being saved in the event of either loss or theft. Presumably these are all saved on the iphone's explorable hard drive, right?

You mean other than plugging it in and having iTunes do it for you?

[edit] It looks like my call answering problem *might* be sliderMod HD. I can press much lower on the button when I have it "off" in Winterboard. But when I have it on I have to press higher on the Hide Keypad and Answer Call buttons.

Linnear
Nov 3, 2010
Can Verizon determine if I had a jailbroken phone? I jailbroke mine out of curiosity a while back, on 4.2.6 firmware. Everything was fine until last week or so when the signal started dropping/fluctuating constantly and I got frequent No Service. I didn't actually do anything on my phone besides browse Cydia, so I'm led to believe the phone itself has a defect. In troubleshooting it, I updated the firmware to 4.2.8 and set it up as a new iphone. Everything worked swimmingly for a few days, and then it started acting up again. I'm thinking about calling Verizon and asking for a replacement. They'll want to look over the defective phone with a fine toothed comb, so can they find out somehow?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

^^ restore to stock after backing up. They'll never know.

Feenix posted:

[edit] It looks like my call answering problem *might* be sliderMod HD. I can press much lower on the button when I have it "off" in Winterboard. But when I have it on I have to press higher on the Hide Keypad and Answer Call buttons.

I'm willing to bet winterboard is the culprit as well.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Feenix posted:

Right, but is there any way to make it intelligible? For instance, instead of hundreds of files named ffb541c48e97051fff2b1f906577cbef71123c4fb.mdbackup, is it possible to be selective about what's synced (outside of iTunes) and to at least reduce the number, or to possibly deposit each backup "bit" into its own particular folder? My main interest is also to have a folder in my backup drive simply named "iPhone backup", instead of having it buried under AppData/etc/etc/etc.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

LamoTheKid posted:

I'm willing to bet winterboard is the culprit as well.

Would this not be a far larger reported issue on the internet if it were, though?

I have never NOT had Winterboard on any Jailbroken phone all the way back to my 3G and I only noticed this issue once I added SliderMod HD.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Feenix posted:

Would this not be a far larger reported issue on the internet if it were, though?

I have never NOT had Winterboard on any Jailbroken phone all the way back to my 3G and I only noticed this issue once I added SliderMod HD.

Winterboard is a mess

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Feenix posted:

From what I've read winterboard doesn't play very nice with 4.2.x and on. It's due for an update. Everyone's quick to blame Activator but since it was updated it's been smooth sailing.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

LamoTheKid posted:

Activator but since it was updated it's been smooth sailing.

Aside from how poo poo the Home Button is, of course.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

mewse posted:

Winterboard is a mess

I couldn't agree with this more. Winterboard seems to cause more problems than it's worth..I'd say avoid it if at all possible till its updated to even work on 4.0

^^
For what its worth, my home button is poo poo on both my personal jailbroken iPhone 4 and my brandy new work vanilla iPhone 4.

I think we're just holding it wrong.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Home button is fine for me too. Always registers a double click but sometimes the multitasking bar is a bit sluggish. I'm on a refurb though because my launch day iPhone 4 got a mushy one.

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Is that you, John Wayne? Is this me?
I've had zero problems with Winterboard. As long as whatever theme I'm using has the correct image files with the correct file names, it runs perfectly fine.

I discovered a program called Bigify. It's free, and the exact same thing as shrink, but instead of only making the icons smaller you can make them bigger, rotate them, and change their transparency. It's pretty neat.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Hay, I'm trying to update my Cydia apps, but every time I try to refresh the "Changes" tab, I get "Error: POSIX: Operation time..."

What the gently caress does that mean and I how do I fix it?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Aggro posted:

Hay, I'm trying to update my Cydia apps, but every time I try to refresh the "Changes" tab, I get "Error: POSIX: Operation time..."

What the gently caress does that mean and I how do I fix it?
You probably bricked your iPhone.

Trashman
Sep 11, 2000

You trash eating stink bag!
Fun Shoe

Bouchacha posted:

Right, but is there any way to make it intelligible? For instance, instead of hundreds of files named ffb541c48e97051fff2b1f906577cbef71123c4fb.mdbackup, is it possible to be selective about what's synced (outside of iTunes) and to at least reduce the number, or to possibly deposit each backup "bit" into its own particular folder? My main interest is also to have a folder in my backup drive simply named "iPhone backup", instead of having it buried under AppData/etc/etc/etc.
There is a program called iBackupBot that will read your iPhone backups and allow you to extract specific bits that you want, you could use this to get just the notes/texts/photos and save them to a separate folder?

I found it extremely useful when I updated recently because I didn't want to lose all my text messages but also wanted to start from a fresh backup, all I had to do was extract the texts from one backup and insert them in to the new fresh backup. Easy as pie.

http://www.icopybot.com/itunes-backup-manager.htm

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Trashman posted:

There is a program called iBackupBot that will read your iPhone backups and allow you to extract specific bits that you want, you could use this to get just the notes/texts/photos and save them to a separate folder?

I found it extremely useful when I updated recently because I didn't want to lose all my text messages but also wanted to start from a fresh backup, all I had to do was extract the texts from one backup and insert them in to the new fresh backup. Easy as pie.

http://www.icopybot.com/itunes-backup-manager.htm

This is so great, thank you!

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

Feenix posted:

But the thread title says that I probably didn't :confused:

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

I've been having some issues as well that are definitely JB related. Ever since upgrading to 4.3.2 on my IP4, MobileSubstrate will crash randomly, usually when I get a bitesms text during a call. Or, sometimes, a bitesms text(one I've already gotten minutes ago), will pop up again randomly. If I X out or click out, it crashes and has to respring or restart.

It's definitely JB related since I didn't change my programs list from 4.2. Plus it runs pretty slow, at least for me. I might just upgrade to 4.3.3 and re-JB when I have time.

SoylentCola
Mar 21, 2001

Ultra Carp

Feenix posted:

I just had this, either there is a repo not working (remove them one at a time until it works) or the network you are going through is causing some issues. Mine did not work at work, but cleared when I was at home.

Andio
May 10, 2004

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind
Withering my intuition leaving opportunities behind
I posted in the last thread about a numbet of issues I've had since jailbreaking 4.3.3 and it seems I'm running in to more.

- When jailbreaking I get a timeout error for downloading firmware that includes '6000 ms'. I've tried countless fixes but nothing has worked.

- Cydia no longer boots and displays a white icon. I've tried fixing this too.

- The vibrate function on the phobe barely works now (most probably a hardware issue).

- The phone is running slower and sometimes doesn't registerkey presses.

I'm thinking of restoring the phone from the jailbreak. Do you think this will solve the main issue of it timing out when jailbreaking?

Is there any specific way I should restore the phone or is it just a case of hitting the restore button in iTunes? If anyone has any suggestions or a fix for the timeout issue let me know. Cheers!

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
Check your host file for the gs.apple.com?

And a clean shift-restore with a custom jailbroken firmware should help with the battery issue if it's not caused by random apps in the background.

blocke
Sep 30, 2007
Hi Guys

I have been using a jailbroken 4.3.2 for some time and thought I'd update to 4.3.3 but from a fresh restore

So i pressed restore in itunes and it downloaded the new firmware and it failed to install (it just stuck at 55% on the progress bar)

I tried downloading the actual firwmare and trying it via shift+restore (even in dfu mode thanks to iREB)and it still freezes at 55%

I then tried sn0wbreeze to make a custom firmware and restore it.. it stalls at 95%!

What's going on and how can I get my phone back again?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

blocke posted:

Hi Guys

I have been using a jailbroken 4.3.2 for some time and thought I'd update to 4.3.3 but from a fresh restore

So i pressed restore in itunes and it downloaded the new firmware and it failed to install (it just stuck at 55% on the progress bar)

I tried downloading the actual firwmare and trying it via shift+restore (even in dfu mode thanks to iREB)and it still freezes at 55%

I then tried sn0wbreeze to make a custom firmware and restore it.. it stalls at 95%!

What's going on and how can I get my phone back again?

Do you have WiFi sync installed?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Ok, I am having a very weird issue. Randomly the other day Cydia crashed and since that point whenever I try to launch it again I get the background of Cydia and nothing else, no loading screen, etc. I tried to reinstall Cydia via ssh and apt-get and it seems again randomly that apt-get is not installed anymore. :psyduck:

What would be the best course of action to take here to get Cydia reinstalled and working? I really don't want to do a new restore all over again.

blocke
Sep 30, 2007

LamoTheKid posted:

Do you have WiFi sync installed?

I did, now i removed it

Now when trying to update via itunes with a sn0wbreeze firmware(dfu) or a normal firmware i get a 1611 error

Marvel
Jun 9, 2010

Feenix posted:

I mentioned this a month or so ago, but seriously, the last 2 jailbreaks (and I've done a totally clean restore and not worked from a backup.) have made it so my Answer Call button, my Speakerphone button, etc... take about a million taps to respond before working.

This poo poo happened to me before I jailbroke too. Sometimes the phone would not register the Answer Call button presses AT ALL and the call would go through to voicemail.

Come to think of it, that hasn't happened since I jailbroke.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
The difference is, my issue isn't a "sometimes". It's an "always".

And yet I know the screen works down there in other instances, so I'm left to think it's jailbreak or jailbreak app related.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

blocke posted:

I did, now i removed it

Now when trying to update via itunes with a sn0wbreeze firmware(dfu) or a normal firmware i get a 1611 error

Try a different USB port and/or cable? Are you updated to the newest version of itunes? Are you 100% sure you get the phone to DFU mode (completely blank screen)? Do you have a line in your hosts file for TinyUmbrella (gs.apple.com redirecting to 127.0.0.1)?

bonzaisushi
Nov 15, 2003

doo dee doo dmt, lsd doo dmt, lsd doo dmt...

Feenix posted:

The difference is, my issue isn't a "sometimes". It's an "always".

And yet I know the screen works down there in other instances, so I'm left to think it's jailbreak or jailbreak app related.

Do you have a lot of custom gestures? More specifically ones that use the lower half of your screen? (drag from bottom/left/right/etc) Seems like i never had the button pressing issues you are having till i started using Drag from bottom and drag from bottom right gestures.

I think i already know this answer but does anyone know the fix for the Facetime toggle always switching to the OFF position? I really dont feel like restoring but i have been using facetime a lot with my job lately so its somewhat important.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

bonzaisushi posted:

Do you have a lot of custom gestures? More specifically ones that use the lower half of your screen? (drag from bottom/left/right/etc) Seems like i never had the button pressing issues you are having till i started using Drag from bottom and drag from bottom right gestures.
This is exactly what did it for me. I was having huge problems with my keyboard until I shut all the screen gestures off (besides status bar ones for SBS)

FloatingPoop
Aug 15, 2001

Cuz it's all so fuckin hysterical
Odd issue that I only recently discovered... A few days ago I changed my wallpaper AND lock screen picture to one that I had in my photo gallery (hit the "set both" button) and now themes in winterboard are unable to change the lockscreen picture. Any idea what's causing this?

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Is that you, John Wayne? Is this me?

FloatingPoop posted:

Odd issue that I only recently discovered... A few days ago I changed my wallpaper AND lock screen picture to one that I had in my photo gallery (hit the "set both" button) and now themes in winterboard are unable to change the lockscreen picture. Any idea what's causing this?

If you're using 4.3+ Apple changed the file format for pictures. Instead of .png or .jpg, they use .cbitmap. If you have a custom lockscreen that points to where the wallpaper would normally be located, there is no LockBackground.png anymore, it's LockBackground.cbitmap.

In order for a custom theme to change, you need to change the CSS or HTML in the theme to point to an image inside of the theme folder itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FloatingPoop
Aug 15, 2001

Cuz it's all so fuckin hysterical
oh dang. Thanks for the explanation HDS.

• Locked thread