Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

flyboi posted:

The problem is to actually get the settings for current notification tone and to use it require some hidden APIs and my knowledge of iOS is almost nothing. Got any resources I can read through?

After some more poking around, there seems to be a lot of stuff in Tweak.xm related to hooking into the original push system. Check at line 314. Seems to be where most of the stuff is going on.

From what I can tell reading through that method, it hooks into the push system and intercepts anything coming through, and if it's the correct type (SMS, MSS, VM, etc) it'll send the data along to his system and not let the OS do anything else with it - ie play sounds, vibrate, pop up a message, etc - but if it's some other type of alert (Say a password entry for the App Store or something I guess) it'll let the OS continue with the %orig call at the end. All the push data is in the 'item' object that's received. What it contains outside of the stuff he pulls from it I have no idea.

As far as resources to read through, I have nothing. I've never done any jailbreak dev before.

dc3k fucked around with this message at 23:45 on May 31, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

status posted:

After some more poking around, there seems to be a lot of stuff in Tweak.xm related to hooking into the original push system. Check at line 314. Seems to be where most of the stuff is going on.

From what I can tell reading through that method, it hooks into the push system and intercepts anything coming through, and if it's the correct type (SMS, MSS, VM, etc) it'll send the data along to his system and not let the OS do anything else with it - ie play sounds, vibrate, pop up a message, etc - but if it's some other type of alert (Say a password entry for the App Store or something I guess) it'll let the OS continue with the %orig call at the end. All the push data is in the 'item' object that's received. What it contains outside of the stuff he pulls from it I have no idea.

As far as resources to read through, I have nothing. I've never done any jailbreak dev before.

Well I found a resource with the private framework headers but no documentation makes finding this poo poo a needle in a haystack.

https://github.com/rpetrich/iphoneheaders

And it appears they use a lot of the private frameworks, just a matter of finding which ones to use for the notification tone.

Edit: I found where the tone is set at least on the file system:
sms-sound-identifier
in com.apple.springboard.plist

Hopefully some googlefu will bring what apis are required.

flyboi fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jun 1, 2011

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

flyboi posted:

Well I found a resource with the private framework headers but no documentation makes finding this poo poo a needle in a haystack.

https://github.com/rpetrich/iphoneheaders

And it appears they use a lot of the private frameworks, just a matter of finding which ones to use for the notification tone.

Yeah, I've been looking at it here

There are a few alerts that inherit from SBAlertItem:

https://github.com/kennytm/iphone-private-frameworks/blob/master/SpringBoard/SBRemoteNotificationAlert.h
https://github.com/kennytm/iphone-private-frameworks/blob/master/SpringBoard/SBSMSAlertItem.h
https://github.com/kennytm/iphone-private-frameworks/blob/master/SpringBoard/SBRingingAlertItem.h

...but beyond this I can't really do anything since I don't have the tools to test and fiddle around.

Apps
Oct 3, 2009
Doing a full restore via iTunes erases all traces of a jailbreak, correct? I'm not worried about the genius bar finding out I jailbroke or anything, but I've been having camera problems and I just wanted to make sure that some part of the jailbreak didn't gently caress up a system file or something and cause my camera to hang. If I do a full restore and set it up as a new phone and the camera problem persists, then it's a hardware issue and not anything to do with software, correct?

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Apps posted:

Doing a full restore via iTunes erases all traces of a jailbreak, correct? I'm not worried about the genius bar finding out I jailbroke or anything, but I've been having camera problems and I just wanted to make sure that some part of the jailbreak didn't gently caress up a system file or something and cause my camera to hang. If I do a full restore and set it up as a new phone and the camera problem persists, then it's a hardware issue and not anything to do with software, correct?

Yeah. A clean restore will completely remove the jailbreak. And yes, if it's still broken after a restore, it's a hardware problem--make sure you tell the Genius that you just did a restore too, because they'll probably suggest that.

Apps
Oct 3, 2009
Yeah, that's the plan. Thanks for the quick response.

The camera flash has NEVER worked on this phone, although since there's not really an Apple store near me I just let it slide, but now that the camera has died I'm guessing it's related. Hopefully I'll be able to score a brand new (refurb) unit like 10 days before my warranty runs out. I did the exact same thing with my 3G (cracks on the back plastic).

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

Sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn't find it. I installed A theme with winterboard and now my icons are bunched up. How would I go about fixing this on a 2ng gen touch? I have already tried deselecting "transparent dock" in Winterboard as has been suggested in other forums.

Pertplus fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jun 1, 2011

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Pertplus posted:

Sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn't find it. I installed A theme with winterboard and now my icons are bunched up. How would I go about fixing this? I have already tried deselecting "transparent dock" in Winterboard as has been suggested in other forums.

Have you tried disabling Summerboard under the Winterboard settings?

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

Yes, that just made all my icons go back to their original pre-theme images but everything was still bunched up.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003
I am a horrible person, disregard my posts.
All the links to get redsn0w on jailbreakchart seem dead and the official torrents on the dev team's website are out of date.

Is there a safe mirror of the latest redsn0w for windows?

edit: nvm it was just a momentary hiccup on the download, weird.

Gtab fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jun 1, 2011

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Pertplus posted:

Sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn't find it. I installed A theme with winterboard and now my icons are bunched up. How would I go about fixing this on a 2ng gen touch? I have already tried deselecting "transparent dock" in Winterboard as has been suggested in other forums.

This was in the OP of the old thread, but I guess it didn't make it into the new one:

quote:

When I put a theme on, my dock icons move up a lot and everything looks squished together!

This is a somewhat unfortunate, but intended, change to Winterboard for iOS 4. I confirmed with Saurik directly, Winterboard now respects the size of the dock background image in applied themes. In the short term, I've done a workaround by resizing the dock background to a height of approximately 45px, which makes it look normal to me, and then transferred that over to my phone. The only theme I've run into with that on personally is Glasklart, and I have requested that the designer correct that in his uploaded version. Any themes that have this same problem will need to be corrected by their maintainer, or you can replace their included dock image with a 45px height version. http://forums.somethingawful.com/at...ostid=378842093 is a transparent dock background. You'll need to name the file SBDockBG.png, with exactly that capitalization. For Glasklart, it would go in /Library/Themes/Glasklart GUI.theme/Bundles/com.apple.springboard/

This is a known issue with themes designed for iOS versions older than iOS 4, and some themes designed for pre-iPhone 4 models. Get different themes, newer versions, or modify the files to be the right resolution and position. There's really not another good answer.

FiTreDawG
Oct 7, 2006
We Are... Marshall
Hope this isn't ban worthy but I think this is the best thread to
Ask this question in. Im talking about an app I bought legit through the app store and the contract arguments could still apply, but kind of a grey area.

What are the opinions on going back to "netshare"? The old app that was on the apple store for a while? It created a proxy to go through and the phones broadcast that. Is this the same thug
MyWi, etc do?? I thought they enabled the native tethering. Would a phone broadcasting a proxy send up red flags the same way??

Edit: mindless typist meant to type netshare, not tether me

FiTreDawG fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 1, 2011

mewse
May 2, 2006

FiTreDawG posted:

Hope this isn't ban worthy but I think this is the best thread to
Ask this question in. Im talking about an app I bought legit through the app store and the contract arguments could still apply, but kind of a grey area.

What are the opinions on going back to "tether me"? The old app that was on the apple store for a while? It created a proxy to go through and the phones broadcast that. Is this the same thug
MyWi, etc do?? I thought they enabled the native tethering. Would a phone broadcasting a proxy send up red flags the same way??

TetherMe is a paid cydia app that enables the phone's native tethering. MyWi is a paid cydia app that creates a mobile wifi hotspot using the phone's wifi hardware.

From what I understand, all of the AT&T customers that received notices were using MyWi.

I don't know anything about your old proxy app that managed to get on the official app store. I'd be cautious about using anything if you are worried about violating your contract.

FiTreDawG
Oct 7, 2006
We Are... Marshall
I meant netshare. Im sitting in a conference and use tether me/MyWi. Just mindlessly typed it while listening to lecturer. My bad.

Morkai
May 2, 2004

aaag babbys

mewse posted:

TetherMe is a paid cydia app that enables the phone's native tethering. MyWi is a paid cydia app that creates a mobile wifi hotspot using the phone's wifi hardware.

From what I understand, all of the AT&T customers that received notices were using MyWi.

I don't know anything about your old proxy app that managed to get on the official app store. I'd be cautious about using anything if you are worried about violating your contract.

MyWi also enables USB tethering. Is there some benefit to using TetherMe over MyWi or is it just a matter of TetherMe doing it first so that's what people still think of?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Morkai posted:

MyWi also enables USB tethering. Is there some benefit to using TetherMe over MyWi or is it just a matter of TetherMe doing it first so that's what people still think of?

TetherMe is $5 and only enables the native tethering, MyWi is $20.

edit: also the people receiving letters from AT&T seemed to exclusively be using MyWi, unless I'm mistaken

edit 2: VVVVVVVVVVVVV ok

mewse fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 1, 2011

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Users of all of the various tethering programs have received letters from AT&T, as have people using Slingplayer. It's impossible to hide your tethering, and you'll probably eventually receive a letter from them regardless of the program you use.

I guess when (and maybe if) you receive a letter depends on a few different factors--amount of use, frequency of use, etc--but they're, without a doubt, collecting information and flagging accounts for tethering to be addressed later.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

maduin posted:

Users of all of the various tethering programs have received letters from AT&T, as have people using Slingplayer. It's impossible to hide your tethering, and you'll probably eventually receive a letter from them regardless of the program you use.

I guess when (and maybe if) you receive a letter depends on a few different factors--amount of use, frequency of use, etc--but they're, without a doubt, collecting information and flagging accounts for tethering to be addressed later.
There was a report earlier where someone traced it back to the data APN relay that tethering went through. Basically, all the tethering programs were using the exact one that you would normally use if you paid for tethering instead of using the iphone 3g data that you would when you do not tether. PDANet was the first one to make a change. Haven't heard anything more since then.

How could you possibly get a letter for using slingplayer? That's a legitimate app with 3G service. I wonder how they'd justify that!

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

suddenlyissoon posted:

There was a report earlier where someone traced it back to the data APN relay that tethering went through. Basically, all the tethering programs were using the exact one that you would normally use if you paid for tethering instead of using the iphone 3g data that you would when you do not tether. PDANet was the first one to make a change. Haven't heard anything more since then.

How could you possibly get a letter for using slingplayer? That's a legitimate app with 3G service. I wonder how they'd justify that!

"According to the AT&T rep, if you stream your slingbox at home to your phone somewhere else, that's tethering because you're transferring data between a 3rd party device."

"I got an email on May 3 and that same text message today about tethering and I have never used tethering. My iPhone 4 is not jailbroken, and on Saturday I used slingplayer for 1 hour. On Tuesday I got an email saying that I have been tethering without a plan. I believe that this slingplayer app causing tethering is true and if so ATT is just looking for any way possible to get rid of unlimited data plans."

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

suddenlyissoon posted:

Not to jynx my poo poo, but I have yet to get a letter from AT&T. I didn't tether THAT much (basically would sync my iPad 2 up to my iPhone 4 at work in order to update or buy an app on the App store for my iPad from time to time.) I've since switched to PDANet and have resumed tethering but really, really not that much.

Still, no letter yet.

*knock on wood.*

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
I don't use my slingplayer a lot, but I would imagine that if they're saying a legitimate app (and a $30 one at that) is "considered" tethering then they're in for quite a lawsuit either from Sling or a user base. I'm pretty sure I even remember when it first came out being wifi only because AT&T didn't want it WiFi. Then there was a later update where AT&T relaxed their restrictions and said it was fine for 3G.

And for that AT&T description of tethering...isn't LogMeIn, iSub, Pogoplug and to even possibly the Time Warner & Xfinity apps considered "tethering" too?

suddenlyissoon fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jun 2, 2011

Apps
Oct 3, 2009
How is Slingbox considered tethering but Netflix/YouTube/MLB.tv/LITERALLY EVERY OTHER MEDIA STREAMING APP not?

I can't even fathom how they could make the case that it's tethering. The only device using your phone's data connection is your phone...........................

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
http://www.iphonedownloadblog.com/2011/06/02/ipad-2-jailbreak-tease/

Good on him for jailbreaking it. gently caress him for being such a cocktease about it.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

LamoTheKid posted:

http://www.iphonedownloadblog.com/2011/06/02/ipad-2-jailbreak-tease/

Good on him for jailbreaking it. gently caress him for being such a cocktease about it.

I've liked that guy since he came onto the scene a few months ago. He's been great at trolling the millions of idiots hanging around the jailbreak community.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

maduin posted:

"According to the AT&T rep, if you stream your slingbox at home to your phone somewhere else, that's tethering because you're transferring data between a 3rd party device."

"I got an email on May 3 and that same text message today about tethering and I have never used tethering. My iPhone 4 is not jailbroken, and on Saturday I used slingplayer for 1 hour. On Tuesday I got an email saying that I have been tethering without a plan. I believe that this slingplayer app causing tethering is true and if so ATT is just looking for any way possible to get rid of unlimited data plans."

Whomever you are talking to on the phone from AT&T has absolutely no idea what is flagging your account and can not tell you what is causing it. The "training" they got basically is to the effect to "So when someone calls and they have a tethering flag on their account they have been tethering. We can't tell you how we know but believe us they are." This all happened about 5 minutes before a shift started for them. Most reps have no idea what tethering is and just talk out of their rear end to try not to get yelled at any more that day.

I think the APN thing is the only way they can be detecting it unless they are doing deep packet inspection. I am pretty sure it is a way to get rid of unlimited data plans and I can almost guarantee with the iPhone 5 they are going to require a "feature" that will require you to get rid of the unlimited data plan. It is a lovely business practice but don't take it out on the poor guy on the phone since he doesn't know poo poo and can't do much about it.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I just learned that folders can only hold so many apps. Is there some Cydia app for iPad that will let my folders hold more apps?

Vykk.Draygo fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jun 3, 2011

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I just learned that folders can only hold so many apps. Is there some Cydia app for iPad that will let my folders hold more apps?

FolderEnhancer. It rules.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

Mr. Fix It posted:

FolderEnhancer. It rules.

I prefer More Icon Folder. FolderEnhancer doesn't significantly increase folder opening time (even with icon caching) and, while supporting Iconoclasm, limits me with how I can adjust my icon layout. MIF let's me bunch my Apps 8-across which I like in portrait-mode. My ultimate goal is a solution wherein label-less icons are tiled to fill a scrollable area above the (transparent and label-less) dock area (I have a lot of Apps!), with negligible separation between icons and icon rows.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Arrowsmith posted:

I prefer More Icon Folder. FolderEnhancer doesn't significantly increase folder opening time (even with icon caching) and, while supporting Iconoclasm, limits me with how I can adjust my icon layout. MIF let's me bunch my Apps 8-across which I like in portrait-mode. My ultimate goal is a solution wherein label-less icons are tiled to fill a scrollable area above the (transparent and label-less) dock area (I have a lot of Apps!), with negligible separation between icons and icon rows.

I think you meant "FolderEnhancer doesn't significantly decrease folder opening time", and in my experience it opens folders a lot faster. This is on my iPhone and anecdotal evidence, though, so ymmv.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

Mr. Fix It posted:

I think you meant "FolderEnhancer doesn't significantly decrease folder opening time", and in my experience it opens folders a lot faster. This is on my iPhone and anecdotal evidence, though, so ymmv.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Which iPhone are you using? I have a 3GS and FolderEnhancer helps it somewhat. The difference it makes on my iPad 1 is closer to negligible. I hope the iPhone 5/iPad 3 and subsequent JBs will alleviate the slowness.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Arrowsmith posted:

Yeah, that's what I meant. Which iPhone are you using? I have a 3GS and FolderEnhancer helps it somewhat. The difference it makes on my iPad 1 is closer to negligible. I hope the iPhone 5/iPad 3 and subsequent JBs will alleviate the slowness.

I'm on an iPhone 4. The first time I open a folder it hangs a bit, but after than it's nigh instantaneous. Faster than the default behavior in any case.

mister ginger
Jul 5, 2005
Oops sorry, thats my bad

mister ginger fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 3, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

mister ginger posted:

:filez: chat

Hi. You must be new here.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 3, 2011

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

mister ginger posted:

:filez: chat

That's pretty unfortunate. You should try not being an rear end in a top hat and paying for the application, I bet that would fix it!

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 3, 2011

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

mister ginger posted:

Oops sorry, thats my bad

Spend $8 cheapskate.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Feenix posted:

Not to jynx my poo poo, but I have yet to get a letter from AT&T. I didn't tether THAT much (basically would sync my iPad 2 up to my iPhone 4 at work in order to update or buy an app on the App store for my iPad from time to time.) I've since switched to PDANet and have resumed tethering but really, really not that much.

I tether more then that - in fact I have my iPad set to tether automatically to my iPhone 4 using MyWi's auto-bluetooth tethering, so it fairly constantly tethers when out of wifi range (and when I'm at work because I keep it off my work network's wireless). So figure light tethering (email, web, occasional document syncing) on a daily basis? Never got a letter either.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
So it looks like Peter Hajas, the MobileNotifier guy who was "taking a break" and "couldn't say why" is now mysteriously living in California and tweeted that he was now "working for a fruit company"...

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 3, 2011

mewse
May 2, 2006

frumpsnake posted:

So it looks like Peter Hajas, the MobileNotifier guy who was "taking a break" and "couldn't say why" is now mysteriously living in California and tweeted that he was now "working for a fruit company"...

This was pretty obviously his goal the whole time

Rakanakle
Mar 17, 2009

Lum_ posted:

I tether more then that - in fact I have my iPad set to tether automatically to my iPhone 4 using MyWi's auto-bluetooth tethering, so it fairly constantly tethers when out of wifi range (and when I'm at work because I keep it off my work network's wireless). So figure light tethering (email, web, occasional document syncing) on a daily basis? Never got a letter either.

I really wish there was a jailbreak for the iPad 2 already. This sounds so convenient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Rakanakle posted:

I really wish there was a jailbreak for the iPad 2 already. This sounds so convenient.

I'm confused. You want your iPad 2 to be the host? Because I have an (obviously unjailbroken) iPad 2 that connects just fine to my jailbroken iPhone with PDA Net or any of the other programs.

• Locked thread