Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

mewse posted:

This was pretty obviously his goal the whole time

iOS 5 to have better notification system?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rakanakle
Mar 17, 2009

Feenix posted:

I'm confused. You want your iPad 2 to be the host? Because I have an (obviously unjailbroken) iPad 2 that connects just fine to my jailbroken iPhone with PDA Net or any of the other programs.

For MyWi On Demand to work it needs to be installed on both devices. Normal tethering works fine but it'd be convenient to have it turn on and off automatically for me. I should have specified that part.

mewse
May 2, 2006

trilljester posted:

iOS 5 to have better notification system?

I think he was a student, he set out to improve the iOS notification system and released all his code under BSD license and posted a bunch of videos of himself explaining his new system and trying to attract people to help him. Huge publicity for himself to help him land a great job post-degree. Apple noticed and hired him, dreams do come true

edit: i mean contrast him to the typical cydia dev who take anything of worth and price it at an asinine $2 or whatever

edit 2: haha i think mobilenotifier just crashed my springboard.. speak of the devil

mewse fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jun 4, 2011

False Toaster
Dec 29, 2006

Stupidity, its both physically and mentally painful.

Feenix posted:

I'm confused. You want your iPad 2 to be the host? Because I have an (obviously unjailbroken) iPad 2 that connects just fine to my jailbroken iPhone with PDA Net or any of the other programs.

What? He just wants to jailbreak his iPad 2.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Sorry if this question has been asked before etc..

When I restore back to a non-jailbroken OS, it's like a clean start right, and the iTunes will sync back the apps from iTunes?
I presume that means that all the info that isn't the apps themselves will be lost?

If I "upgrade" from the jailbroken OS to a new one, what happens then? What happens to the apps that shouldn't be there?

bonzaisushi
Nov 15, 2003

doo dee doo dmt, lsd doo dmt, lsd doo dmt...

echinopsis posted:

Sorry if this question has been asked before etc..

When I restore back to a non-jailbroken OS, it's like a clean start right, and the iTunes will sync back the apps from iTunes?
I presume that means that all the info that isn't the apps themselves will be lost?

If I "upgrade" from the jailbroken OS to a new one, what happens then? What happens to the apps that shouldn't be there?

You can restore from your backup and all your apps/data will be restored just fine. And when you upgrade those apps wont be there, some of their settings files will but the apps themselves are gone i believe.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I just learned that folders can only hold so many apps. Is there some Cydia app for iPad that will let my folders hold more apps?

I like Infinifolders. Does nothing but let you put as many apps in a folder as you want and let you scroll through them, so no interface changes or performance issues.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bonzaisushi posted:

You can restore from your backup and all your apps/data will be restored just fine. And when you upgrade those apps wont be there, some of their settings files will but the apps themselves are gone i believe.

Cool thanks, also, how you been man? It's been a long time since I've seen/heard from you. :)

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

The data from the old JB apps will still be there after the upgrade but the apps themselves won't be (i.e. only official, non-JB apps will be there). This is why you can upgrade, re-jailbreak, then reinstall all of your JB apps without losing any settings.

If you want all the old JB stuff gone then you have to erase the phone before upgrading and not let it restore from backup at any point.

withak fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 4, 2011

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
So I got a bit of insight off github working with them and fixed notification sounds/vibration on mobilenotifier so they now work just as they should based off your phone settings!

http://www.mediafire.com/?ndlrjs2sxw3d1br

edit: https://github.com/sammargh/MobileNotifier/commit/42c91f3115f4a5eab461abddcc54565372249526 and https://github.com/sammargh/MobileNotifier/commit/b488d3ef5d6e6408d1b1837fc1baae2ec7aba377#diff-0 commit for those that care

editx2: just committed to the master repo so fix will be in place for beta 6

flyboi fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 5, 2011

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Vertigus posted:

I like Infinifolders. Does nothing but let you put as many apps in a folder as you want and let you scroll through them, so no interface changes or performance issues.

You couldn't have posted this two days ago? I'm not a huge fan of the UI on FolderEnhancer but I already bought it so good enough.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Vykk.Draygo posted:

You couldn't have posted this two days ago? I'm not a huge fan of the UI on FolderEnhancer but I already bought it so good enough.

Haha, sorry. It really does feel like the way Apple might do it so it might be worth it to you if you want something seamless.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003
I am a horrible person, disregard my posts.
Is there some reason my new iPhone 4, freshly jailbroken, keeps telling me to "Connect to Itunes to use Push Notifications", when they're turned on in the Settings? Ive never seen this message before this new phone.

Plugging the phone in has not changed this.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Gtab posted:

Is there some reason my new iPhone 4, freshly jailbroken, keeps telling me to "Connect to Itunes to use Push Notifications", when they're turned on in the Settings? Ive never seen this message before this new phone.

Plugging the phone in has not changed this.

If you haven't even installed any jailbreak applications, just try restoring and doing it again--something probably hosed up on the install somehow. If you've installed something else, make sure it isn't toggled off somehow (i.e. SBSettings).

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003
I am a horrible person, disregard my posts.
I did a restore to factory and then a restore from backup and it's working now, but I haven't done a jailbreak again.

Appreciate the help, hopefully it'll work after jailbreaking tomorrow.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Vertigus posted:

Haha, sorry. It really does feel like the way Apple might do it so it might be worth it to you if you want something seamless.

I don't remember how many times I've said this to myself only to be disappointed when they do try to implement it and it's loving stupid in that special way only Apple can achieve.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Is there a jailbreak app that works like Beyondpod on Android? I want my phone to automatically download new podcasts every morning at 8am.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Vertigus posted:

Is there a jailbreak app that works like Beyondpod on Android? I want my phone to automatically download new podcasts every morning at 8am.

You don't even have to jailbreak. Search the app store. Podcaster, for example.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

eddiewalker posted:

You don't even have to jailbreak. Search the app store. Podcaster, for example.

I tried Instacast and it certainly doesn't let you schedule updates. It just updates automatically when you open the program, which kind of defeats the purpose. I figured that was a limitation of iOS.

I checked out the Podcaster site and it says it can run downloads in the background - does that mean I can schedule them, or does it still require you to open the app first?

rivid
Jul 17, 2005

Matt 24:44
If I jailbreak my Ipod, will I still need to give Apple my credit card number just to access the store?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

rivid posted:

If I jailbreak my Ipod, will I still need to give Apple my credit card number just to access the store?
Jailbroken or not I'm pretty sure you can remove any payment info from iTunes, but you'll need gift-card credit or whatever to buy anything. And many of the best jailbroken apps require google or amazon or paypal payment systems to buy them; they don't use the app storeof course.

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.

flyboi posted:

So I got a bit of insight off github working with them and fixed notification sounds/vibration on mobilenotifier so they now work just as they should based off your phone settings!

http://www.mediafire.com/?ndlrjs2sxw3d1br

edit: https://github.com/sammargh/MobileNotifier/commit/42c91f3115f4a5eab461abddcc54565372249526 and https://github.com/sammargh/MobileNotifier/commit/b488d3ef5d6e6408d1b1837fc1baae2ec7aba377#diff-0 commit for those that care

editx2: just committed to the master repo so fix will be in place for beta 6

I'm fairly new to jailbreaking and just installed MobileNotifier today, and this problem was bugging the poo poo out of me. How do I go about getting your code onto my phone? Do I have to add it as a source on Cydia?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Venkmanologist posted:

I'm fairly new to jailbreaking and just installed MobileNotifier today, and this problem was bugging the poo poo out of me. How do I go about getting your code onto my phone? Do I have to add it as a source on Cydia?

You have to install ssh onto your iphone, scp the .deb over and then use dpk -i blah.deb to install it.

I've found that it also ignores any notification settings you setup for 3rd party apps so those will have sound which is kind of annoying. I made my own version that disables sound and only flashes the screen for those. If you want that instead hollar and I'll upload it.

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself
How can I force install a package while ignoring its iOS dependency?

I'm running 4.3.3. I tried apt-get install sbsettings-tether but it says:

code:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
  sbsettings-tether: PreDepends: firmware (< 4.2) but 4.3.3 is to be installed

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
If it isn't allowing you to install it on >4.2, there's probably a good reason. ie, it won't work on anything >4.2, so it's pointless to try and get around it. If you really want to do it, try checking the man page (man apt-get) and look for a flag that will tell it to ignore dependencies.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

flyboi posted:

You have to install ssh onto your iphone, scp the .deb over and then use dpk -i blah.deb to install it.

I've found that it also ignores any notification settings you setup for 3rd party apps so those will have sound which is kind of annoying. I made my own version that disables sound and only flashes the screen for those. If you want that instead hollar and I'll upload it.

You can put it in the /var/root/Media/Cydia/AutoInstall folder (create the folder if you don't have it) as well, and it will be automatically installed. Might be easier. See http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=5730.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Vertigus posted:

I checked out the Podcaster site and it says it can run downloads in the background - does that mean I can schedule them, or does it still require you to open the app first?

Ok, I found out it only starts downloading scheduled podcasts if you have the app in the foreground. As in, the phone is unlocked and the app is open. What's the point, then? I can't leave my phone's screen on all night.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Kind of half-jailbreaking related, since it involves themes. Does anyone know of a good Photoshop guide in regards to creating icons? A lot of themes I have tried obviously don't have every icon but include PSD templates.

I'd really like to learn how to make my own vs going through a 100+ page thread on modmyi.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Grayham posted:

How can I force install a package while ignoring its iOS dependency?

I'm running 4.3.3. I tried apt-get install sbsettings-tether but it says:

code:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
  sbsettings-tether: PreDepends: firmware (< 4.2) but 4.3.3 is to be installed

Just a note, the "correct" SBSettings toggle for tethering I found is called SBSetting Tethering Toggle by Filipe Pina (not SBSettings Tether Toggle by Ryan Petrich). Note the missing s on "SBSetting".

There are two in the store. The one spelled right is broke, the one that isn't spelled right works.
You're asking how to force an install of a broken program (sbsettings-tether). One that is thankfully limited since it doesn't work. com.fopina.sbtethering is the correct package.

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself

Xenomorph posted:

Just a note, the "correct" SBSettings toggle for tethering I found is called SBSetting Tethering Toggle by Filipe Pina (not SBSettings Tether Toggle by Ryan Petrich). Note the missing s on "SBSetting".

There are two in the store. The one spelled right is broke, the one that isn't spelled right works.
You're asking how to force an install of a broken program (sbsettings-tether). One that is thankfully limited since it doesn't work. com.fopina.sbtethering is the correct package.

Thanks. That must've been the one I was using before I had to restore.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

rivid posted:

You don't need a credit card to access the store or buy free apps. If you create an account while buying a free app you can select Payment Type: None.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.
It also looks like Apple recently started allowing Paypal for payment, if you're more comfortable with that.

blocke
Sep 30, 2007
Why does my app store crash when I click 'download'? I have installous installed and apps install fine from there (facebook as an example) but when trying to download anything from the app store it closes itself, 4.3.3 jailbreak

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

blocke posted:

Why does my app store crash when I click 'download'? I have installous installed and apps install fine from there (facebook as an example) but when trying to download anything from the app store it closes itself, 4.3.3 jailbreak

We aren't going to help you steal, dude.

VVVVVVVVVV Okay, I mis-read it. Still pretty stupid.

Edit 2: No, the point was it was stupid for him to mention that app because it's bannable to discuss piracy. Anyway, I'll just shut up.

Referee fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jun 7, 2011

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

IllegallySober posted:

We aren't going to help you steal, dude.

The app store is crashing, not installous. He can steal just fine; it's purchasing he's having trouble with.

(And installous can also be used to get previous versions of apps, or apps that have been removed from the store).

blocke
Sep 30, 2007

IllegallySober posted:

Still pretty stupid.

Yes it's very stupid wanting to use the official app store to buy applications then get them for free from installous.. how dumb of me!

If anyone can help me this would be appreciated

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

IllegallySober posted:

VVVVVVVVVV Okay, I mis-read it. Still pretty stupid.

No, not really dude. It's ok to admit you're wrong without trying to get an extra burn in.

Mega Boris
Feb 21, 2001

Better luck next time, slugheads!
If i upgraded my 3GS to 06.15.00 to unlock so i could travel overseas. Am I basically screwed now if I wanted to get it back to factory?

I heard there was a 06.15.00 downgrade in the works. Maybe thats my only hope?

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
welp there's no reason to jailbreak anymore wrap it the gently caress up jailbreakailures. multitasking, wifi tethering and now lockinfo. all hail the mighty stebe jorbs

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

American Jello posted:

welp there's no reason to jailbreak anymore wrap it the gently caress up jailbreakailures. multitasking, wifi tethering and now lockinfo. all hail the mighty stebe jorbs

BiteSMS is the last hold out. I can get over not having MyWi.

• Locked thread