Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Is there any reason why you cant just have the same SSID? That's what I have in my house and the phone doesn't have any problems switching automatically.

Can you explain this? I have a wifi repeater that makes a "network B" in my house. I hate switching between them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Can you explain this? I have a wifi repeater that makes a "network B" in my house. I hate switching between them.

Is this an all wireless setup (ie: your repeater connects to the wifi network and then repeats it?), or is the repeater hooked up to the router by cable?

If it's the first, then there's nothing to be done, sorry :/

If it's the latter, then just set your repeater network name to the same as your router's network.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Is this an all wireless setup (ie: your repeater connects to the wifi network and then repeats it?), or is the repeater hooked up to the router by cable?

If it's the latter, then just set your repeater network name to the same as your router's network.

First one. drat.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Before I bought an AirPort Extreme which covers the house splendidly, I had a wifi extender and all our phones and pads instantly and reliably switched to the stronger wifi depending on where we were in the house. Is this not typical?

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

i didn't buy shit. i don't know what the fuck is going on.

decypher posted:

Found out the hard way about TinyUmbrella and 6.1.2. I have .shsh files for 6.1 and 6.1.2 but apparently TinyUmbrella hasn't been updated to support it? I couldn't get it to work properly.

I discovered iFaith, which I think would have done what I needed, but unfortunately I'm not on 6.1.2 anymore, and it doesn't work with .shsh files created with TinyUmbrella, so I think I'm hosed until TinyUmbrella is updated. :-(

I tried a bunch of times with redsn0w which is my go to jailbreak poo poo and it never worked. ended up having to use sn0wbreeze to stitch my blobs in to a custom iso and it worked fine. It's been a minute but I'm fairly sure this is the guide i used, http://www.evasionjailbreak.org/downgrade-ios-6-1-3-to-ios-6-1-2-using-sn0wbreeze-snowbreeze/

Restoring from shsh blobs is only supported on Iphone 4 and below as far as I know.

Edit: what I'm getting at is if you have the blobs saved from tiny umbrella, and you download the firmware for the blobs you have, you should be able to stitch something together. I do remember it being a pain and it took me a couple tries to get it right.

Edit2: To be even more clear what I'm saying is I've use my tinyumbrella blobs to downgrade from 6.1.3 back down to 6.1.2 after something I installed from a dodgy cydia repo jacked my stuff all up. I know it can be done.

Denim Dude fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jun 19, 2013

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I recently bought an iPhone4 32gbs for a dime, I'm using that Gevey thingie to unlock it since its locked to a certain US provider and I'm Portuguese; but I'm thinking of updating the iOS, from 5.x to 6.x, but that would upgrade my baseband right?

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

Denim Dude posted:

Restoring from shsh blobs is only supported on Iphone 4 and below as far as I know.

I'm on the 4S. I'm not really sure what my options are, but from that link it doesn't look like much.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
Your baseband will probably be updated yes but you can get a real unlock on eBay for $5.

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

dutchbstrd posted:

Your baseband will probably be updated yes but you can get a real unlock on eBay for $5.

I am glad someone said this, I was typing a response but realized I wasn't really sure what baseband upgrade actually meant.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

randyest posted:

Before I bought an AirPort Extreme which covers the house splendidly, I had a wifi extender and all our phones and pads instantly and reliably switched to the stronger wifi depending on where we were in the house. Is this not typical?

My parents have a similar setup at their house but my phone and iPad would tend to favor one wifi over the other until it straight up lost the original one. I would have been interested in a similar jailbreak tweak. Some sort of SBSetting toggle or something would have been great.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Yeah mine is a wifi repeater that connects to the network via wifi. I was hoping there was a tweak that lets the device easily switch between available networks based on signal strength.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
I have a chinese 3rd party camera connection kit. Was working fine on my ipad and iphone on 5.1.1. No longer working on 6.1.2. I get the "device not supported" message when I connect it to my iDevices.
Is this a matter of Apple blocking these kits? and if so, any jailbreak tweaks to enable it?

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
I think the app 'resupported' fixes this, I could be wrong though.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
Resupported is only for A/V cables, I get the device unsuported message when docking on a pionneer amp but it works anyway, are you sure it's not working ?

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
Yea I'm pretty sure it's not working. It's been a few weeks since I last tried it but I'll mess around with it tonight. It was nice to use it with an SD card and have extra storage when travelling.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

So I recently got TetherMe as I'll be travelling a bit this summer but it doesn't seem to actually be working. I'm on Sprint and this is what I see whenever I try to create a Hotspot. (It's the same dialog box you get whether you're in TetherMe or just in the general settings.)

Ev
Aug 3, 2006
Have you tried any other tethering apps? I've never had the issue that you're facing, but then again I've never used TetherMe. Does either PDANet or MyWi work? What happens if you try "Reset Network Settings," does that fix it?

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

I just got a new 4th gen iPad and it's running 6.1.3. I'm pretty much boned as far as jailbreaking goes for a while, aren't I.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

nrr posted:

I just got a new 4th gen iPad and it's running 6.1.3. I'm pretty much boned as far as jailbreaking goes for a while, aren't I.

On the same note, I just got an iPhone 5 with 6.1.4. Blah.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Fayez Butts posted:

So I recently got TetherMe as I'll be travelling a bit this summer but it doesn't seem to actually be working. I'm on Sprint and this is what I see whenever I try to create a Hotspot. (It's the same dialog box you get whether you're in TetherMe or just in the general settings.)

This was my problem a couple pages ago. Do you have Location Spoofer installed? Once I uninstalled it, my hotspot options worked again.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

This was my problem a couple pages ago. Do you have Location Spoofer installed? Once I uninstalled it, my hotspot options worked again.

I don't have it running. I literally just jail broke my phone this morning so all I have are a couple of visual apps.

Edit: I'm a silly goose. I didn't have location spoofer installed but Tetherize was, and it was screwing things up.

Fayez Butts fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jun 21, 2013

Mastodon Henley
Aug 12, 2003

So... how's your girl?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't PDAnet the only tethering solution that actually attempts to obfuscate the fact that you're tethering?

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

omg chael crash posted:

On the same note, I just got an iPhone 5 with 6.1.4. Blah.

Can anyone give us a ballpark on how long we're likely to be hanging for? I know this stuff is impossible to predict, but I haven't been following jailbreaks forever, so I'm open to hearing some educated guesses. Are we looking at a couple of weeks, couple of months? 6 months +? What do you think, thread?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I'd guess not until next year at the earliest.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Really? Balls.

I sure picked the wrong time to spend half a grand on an iPad didn't I.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
What features are deal breakers that require a jailbreak for your iPad to be worth it?

It can certainly add some convenience, but it's not like your device is useless without it. Especially the iPad.

Cawd Rud
Mar 12, 2009
Salad Prong
The timer until the next jailbreak starts when iOS 7 is released (probably coinciding with the next iPhone). They're saving exploits for that big release. The goal is to not have the long wait like we did with the iPhone 5, but who knows if the exploits they're saving are going to be patched by then or not.

So the earliest we'd see another jailbreak is around September, whenever the next iPhone comes out.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Whirlwind Jones posted:

What features are deal breakers that require a jailbreak for your iPad to be worth it?

It can certainly add some convenience, but it's not like your device is useless without it. Especially the iPad.

Eh, it's nothing huge I guess, I've just always had my iPhones jail broken and this bog standard stuff is just kind of weird.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Are there any Cydia apps that allow backing up app store apps, but in a "deployed" state? I don't mean the .ipa files, but the actual working directories. I've tried gzipping the .app containers and transfering them back and forth manually over wifi, and it seems to work. The app icon disappears when the .app directory is deleted, but if I unpack the zip file in the old directory it shows up again, which is great for applications that don't have iCloud support. It would be incredibly useful to be able to automate the whole thing.

Whirlwind Jones posted:

It's the zillion little tweaks and fixes that add up. And there are a few addons, like Activator and f.lux which have become so integral to how I use my iPad that i can't imagine doing without them, nor can I imagine why Apple hasn't cloned them.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

The Insect Court posted:

Are there any Cydia apps that allow backing up app store apps, but in a "deployed" state? I don't mean the .ipa files, but the actual working directories. I've tried gzipping the .app containers and transfering them back and forth manually over wifi, and it seems to work. The app icon disappears when the .app directory is deleted, but if I unpack the zip file in the old directory it shows up again, which is great for applications that don't have iCloud support. It would be incredibly useful to be able to automate the whole thing.
DataDeposit?

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

randyest posted:

DataDeposit?

DataDeposit only backs up /Documents and /Libraries, I'm looking for something that works like that but for entire applications. And preferably over local wifi as an option in addition to/instead of dropbox syncing.

Mastodon Henley
Aug 12, 2003

So... how's your girl?
Upon downloading/installing Alpaca Evolution from the App Store (not even a Cydia tweak, jesus) my phone immediately shat the bed and went into a reboot loop. redsn0w is giving stitched ipsws the finger, so I guess I'm stuck. Anyone running a tethered jailbreak of 6.1.3 on an iphone 4, or have another suggestion?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
You're in luck. Just introduced recently. Let us know how it goes!

http://semi-restore.com/

Mastodon Henley
Aug 12, 2003

So... how's your girl?

bobfather posted:

You're in luck. Just introduced recently. Let us know how it goes!

http://semi-restore.com/

Not well!

quote:

Error loading SemiRestore.
One or more of the files that SemiRestore uploads to the device has been corrupted.
Please redownload SemiRestore from http://semi-restore.com/.
If you believe you you encountered this message incorrectly, please contact @coolstarorg on twitter.

There's nothing wrong with the download, unless every OS X link they have is corrupted in every browser. To be fair, this isn't intended to fix system file issues but phone plugged in or not I get the same error so welp.

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008
Sorry I know this has been over before but where do I go to clear that huge cache of crap the phone stores after I delete it? I have apparently hit my phones 16 gig limit but have only 5 gigs of music and a gig of other assorted crap.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Team THEOLOGY posted:

Sorry I know this has been over before but where do I go to clear that huge cache of crap the phone stores after I delete it? I have apparently hit my phones 16 gig limit but have only 5 gigs of music and a gig of other assorted crap.

Check out iCleaner Pro

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Team THEOLOGY posted:

http://www.reddit.com/r/jailbreak/comments/1ez4f7/psa_the_guide_to_cleaning_up_your_other_section/

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

spongeworthy posted:

Check out iCleaner Pro

Can you list a repo with it? I only am able to find generic icleaner.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Team THEOLOGY posted:

My bad. http://exile90software.com/cydia/

That guide above has some good tips, also. Just be careful performing some of the steps it recommends, such as deleting all stored SMS images. Check the comments in that individual thread.

spongeworthy fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Team THEOLOGY posted:

You don't need the Pro version unless you really need the ability to selectively disable daemons. The author moved it to his own repo because apparently people kept loving their poo poo up.

• Locked thread