Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Phlag posted:

I'm aware of those risks. I'll take my chances. I like to live on the edge.

You're really chancing it here, and I'll tell you why.

The tweak you listed will possibly work to spoof the user agent for Exchange. But if your phone is managed by your corporation, there are other means to determine what version of iOS you are running.

Even if your phone isn't managed, if a tweak ever drops you to safe mode your phone will attempt to automatically fetch mail as soon as you unlock it, and trigger the same warning with your company that you're still running iOS 9. If anyone is watching, they will notice your device is bouncing between iOS 10 and 9, and this will probably trigger an in-depth review.

The bottom line of this is, you think you're smart, but you aren't as smart as you think. And if your system admins are watching for outdated software connecting to their servers, your ability to deceive them will only go as far as the first 1 or 2 instances where your phone does something wacky. Then you're going to be in the limelight baby, and they'll be contacting your supervisor to figure out why you're not complying to company policy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlag
Nov 2, 2000

We make a special trip just for you, same low price.

bobfather posted:

Even if your phone isn't managed, if a tweak ever drops you to safe mode your phone will attempt to automatically fetch mail as soon as you unlock it, and trigger the same warning with your company that you're still running iOS 9.
This is a good point. I appreciate it.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Phlag posted:

I got an automated email from my employer (whose phone I've jailbroken) demanding that I update iOS past 9.3.3 or else they'll disable my phone's email access. Is there a safe way to spoof iOS version? I googled it and found random threads on Reddit talk about editing SystemVersion.plist, with vague warnings that it's not safe and will destabilize things.

Or should I just update and hope for a new jailbreak down the line?

Edit: Never mind, looks like Exchangent should do the trick.

If you're in a right to work state, they can literally fire you for ignoring IT policy. Update the phone.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Frinkahedron posted:

If you're in a right to work state, they can literally fire you for ignoring IT policy. Update the phone.

:eng101: At will, not right to work. The latter is a different way of screwing over employees in the guise of fairness.

And since Montana is the only state that isn't at will, and even there, violating company IT policy and creating a security issue would likely be a good for-cause termination, yeah dude should just update the drat phone. Not worth losing a job for some spiffy tweaks or themes.

Phlag
Nov 2, 2000

We make a special trip just for you, same low price.

Don't worry - although I'm confident there's close to 0% chance of being fired for jailbreaking a phone at my company, I fully understand that doing so is still at least a little reckless, and I'll update the phone. No need to further discuss the turpitude of violating corporate IT policies. Folks are gonna look at all the new posts and think there's a new JB.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

ibntumart posted:

:eng101: At will, not right to work. The latter is a different way of screwing over employees in the guise of fairness.

Eh potato potahto :v:

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005
Ask me about personal watercraft.
Apparently whoever develops BarMagnet (torrent remote) doesn't actually want anyone to use their app since there's no repo or ipa to download so you have to build it yourself with a Mac/xCode to get the latest version, which I don't have. Anyone willing to build it and throw the ipa up somewhere, unless you know of an alternative app that works with Deluge?

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Stockwell posted:

Apparently whoever develops BarMagnet (torrent remote) doesn't actually want anyone to use their app since there's no repo or ipa to download so you have to build it yourself with a Mac/xCode to get the latest version, which I don't have. Anyone willing to build it and throw the ipa up somewhere, unless you know of an alternative app that works with Deluge?

Just use something with a web interface?

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005
Ask me about personal watercraft.
Well, deluge has a web interface but it's pretty fiddly over mobile, and part of the appeal is being able to search/queue/manage torrents from the same interface.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Is the Tongbu assistant full of malware or anything? Anyone know? I for the most part am very careful with my computer and have good virus protection practices, keep everything updated. But, the other day my Netflix account got stolen (Netflix support was really good about helping me though!). I checked my gmail, facebook, etc accounts for any suspicious logins. None of them had any logins that weren't me besides one from Italy and Vietnam on my Netflix account (from after it got stolen). My Netflix has a unique password, and this is the only actual computer it logs in from (the other devices are smart TVs and a fire stick.)

I went through the whole malware removal gamut, rkill, the different malwarebytes products, HitmanPro and of course Windows Defender. None of them found anything except Malwarebytes marked Tongbu assistant as something to remove. It's Chinese software so..... you know. Normally I don't install things like that but I had used Tongbu assistant for a long time, and it's the only simple way to get music into the music app on my jailbroken phone.

If it's completely clean software even though it's Chinese though, that means there is still some way my account got compromised. So I really would like to know so I can either know the probably suspect or rule out Tongbu assistant and have to keep searching.

For the sake of completeness, what happened was I had to recover my Netflix password on this computer to use the Windows 10 Netflix app (which, this is the first time I downloaded it on this computer. Although I doubt the Netflix app on the Windows Store could get compromised) I then changed it in my browser, Pale Moon, with no extensions or addons besides ublock origin and https everywhere. Then I logged onto the Netflix app and watched some stuff. That was like 10 o'clock pm. The next day at 7am someone was able to change my password, email and phone number. And then log in from those two countries (Italy, Vietnam) and watch some poo poo. This must have something to do with this computer, and Tongbu assistant is the only software on here that I know of from a website I don't know much about (cuz it's mostly Chinese.) But I was pretty sure I got it from the official Tongbu assistant. I'm paranoid now because I don't know if my computer is still compromised or in what way. I am on a completely updated version of Windows 10, but it's a preview build (build 16215) so maybe there is some new hole MS introduced in this build that is only known by people who apparently want Netflix accounts.

I know this is mostly PC stuff, but I figured here would be the best place to ask since Tongbu assistant is a utility that is basically just for jailbroken phones if you're on iOS. Thanks.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Basically, yeah you just installed some sketchy EXE that was possibly malware.

Out of curiosity, why use tongbu (something I'd never even heard of until now) over Yalu and Cydia Impactor, like every site in the world recommends?

Edit: holy poo poo I just noticed you’re running some dubious browser that’s a fork of Mozilla. Between running a browser that’s forked from another browser that lost its way about 10 years ago, and running an insanely dubious jailbreak assistant, your attack vector could be coming from almost anywhere. Why do this to yourself?

bobfather fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 19, 2017

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

bobfather posted:

Basically, yeah you just installed some sketchy EXE that was possibly malware.

Out of curiosity, why use tongbu (something I'd never even heard of until now) over Yalu and Cydia Impactor, like every site in the world recommends?

Hmm.... Because I haven't heard about Yalu and didn't know that was something Cydia Impactor could do. I think I've been using Tongbu because maybe those things didn't exist long ago, and Tongbu might have been the only way back in the day. And I've just been using it ever since because it seemed to do the job. I mean, I'm not sure, maybe they did exist and I just hadn't heard of them, and someone directed me to Tongbu assistant for some reason.

But I'll look into those two, thanks. I actually do need to send some music to my iphone now but completely killed Tongbu from my computer. So I'm sitting here thinking "poo poo, cant use that again, so what do I do now?"

edit: I googled Yalu and it seems like it's all jailbreak stuff for iOS 10 right? My phone is is on iOS 9.3.3. So I looked into Cydia Impactor, gonna try it out but the page mentions "I also recommend this reddit thread for general help with the iOS 9.3 jailbreak (including issues with Impactor)." I absolutely hate the way Reddit is formatted and couldn't really find anything about it. What issues does it have with iOS 9? Can I still use it?

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 19, 2017

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
What phone and ios version are you on, out of curiosity

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

In the interest of helping, what iOS version are you jailbreaking?

Edit: haha

Edit2: iOS 9.3.3 can be jailbroken via a website

https://jbme.qwertyoruiop.com/

bobfather fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 19, 2017

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

It's an iPhone 6+ running iOS 9.3.3. Used the Pangu jailbreak.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

BrainDance posted:

It's an iPhone 6+ running iOS 9.3.3. Used the Pangu jailbreak.

You might be waiting for a new reply, so use

To jailbreak your phone after your cert expires, and use iTunes to transfer music to your phone.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

bobfather posted:

You might be waiting for a new reply, so use

To jailbreak your phone after your cert expires, and use iTunes to transfer music to your phone.

The problem I have with iTunes is that I had synced my iPhone to this computer many formats ago. I never thought to back up anything from iTunes. And ever since it refuses to sync to my phone unless I restore it. And I am not about to restore this phone, lose my jailbreak and everything else I've got on it.

And I never found any workarounds for that, although it started a long time ago and I gave up looking since then.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Just pick set up as a new phone and don't use the backup and you'll be back in business as far as syncing goes.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Dewgy posted:

Just pick set up as a new phone and don't use the backup and you'll be back in business as far as syncing goes.

Well, I may be doing this wrong. I was able to just "sync", but nothing was selected to be synced. So I went and checked "Sync Music" and tried, and this is what I got;

And that is a very scary message. I definitely do not want to remove existing every media from my phone. :/

Edit: I got Cydia Impactor and it seems to see my phone, but how do I use it to add any music to the iOS music app?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Impactor doesn't add music, it signs and loads IPAs like the one needed to jailbreak iOS 10.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Alright, fair enough. So without being, apparently, able to use iTunes (at this point), and not being able to use Tongbu assistant, how can I get music from my personal library onto the iOS music app on jailbroken iOS 9.3.3? Are there any options left?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
ifunbox is a more trustworthy untrustworthy utility than tongbu that you can try using

Use a firewall to lock it down I guess

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

The proper way to add music is through iTunes. iTunes is not going to brick your phone. At worst it may remove stuff that's on it, so hopefully you have a backup of the music and videos it removes.

I mean, it's either do that, or reinstall some shady phone manager and risk your passwords being compromised.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

bobfather posted:

The proper way to add music is through iTunes. iTunes is not going to brick your phone. At worst it may remove stuff that's on it, so hopefully you have a backup of the music and videos it removes.

I mean, it's either do that, or reinstall some shady phone manager and risk your passwords being compromised.

That's a good point. I do have everything backed up (although it would take quite a bit to get it all back, and actually some of my photos might not be backed up in a physical place.) I was mostly worried that by "remove existing music, etc etc." iTunes meant "you need to restore you're phone, we'll do this but then you'll lose your jailbreak and be unable to get it back at this point."

I guess I'll do this when I have a free evening. Is there a way to back up, uhh, I guess it would be like a profile or something in itunes? So that if I format again and reinstall Windows (which happens relatively often.) I won't have to remove everything again to sync it?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

BrainDance posted:

That's a good point. I do have everything backed up (although it would take quite a bit to get it all back, and actually some of my photos might not be backed up in a physical place.) I was mostly worried that by "remove existing music, etc etc." iTunes meant "you need to restore you're phone, we'll do this but then you'll lose your jailbreak and be unable to get it back at this point."

I guess I'll do this when I have a free evening. Is there a way to back up, uhh, I guess it would be like a profile or something in itunes? So that if I format again and reinstall Windows (which happens relatively often.) I won't have to remove everything again to sync it?

Formatting and reinstalling Windows is not necessary these days, but the iTunes Library folder that is dumped into your User directory can be safely backed up and restored just by moving the directory back and forth in whatever Local or Roaming folder it exists in.

You have some interesting computer touching habits. Any particular reason why, or you just like to tinker?

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

bobfather posted:

Formatting and reinstalling Windows is not necessary these days, but the iTunes Library folder that is dumped into your User directory can be safely backed up and restored just by moving the directory back and forth in whatever Local or Roaming folder it exists in.

You have some interesting computer touching habits. Any particular reason why, or you just like to tinker?

That depends, what do you mean by interesting? I guess I never thought about it. I do like to tinker, but I don't just reformat whenever I feel compelled. I use the insider preview builds of Windows 10 and every so often something will get completely wrecked by an update or me just tinkering with the wrong thing. Or sometimes even something small but important to me will get broken. This specific computer is used for quite a few different, odd things (it's a very powerful computer so it has become a sort of central hub for all the devices on my home network.) so if one minor thing is broken often it can make one of the many tasks this thing does impossible.

And then there was this one time I managed to completely wreck the Windows bootloader (I was dual booting, had GRUB installed.) Because the bootloader was wrecked and also because of an unresolved bios bug in this computer, Windows was unable to upgrade to a newer build. I guess it couldn't modify the bootloader to continue setup after rebooting? I tried many things to fix it (and learned a hell of a lot about UEFI and how the Windows bootloader works) but just wasn't able to fix it. In the end I thought, "gently caress it, reformatting". Back my poo poo up, reformatted, upgraded and everything worked.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

So there's this "Adam's exploit" but I guess all the fuss is mostly around it working for iPhone 7 10.3.1 which is the iOS everyone was told to stay on long long ago for a JB, it hasn't been jail broken proper like other iPhone models or iOS versions

Idk bunch of poo poo on reddit

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
So I'm on an SE running 9.3.3 jailbroken first with the Pangu and now with the jb website. I've been completely fine with this and have had no desire to update to a newer jailbreak. However, lately I've been getting fairly frequent app crashes system wide and it's generally only fixed by turning off the phone and then rejailbreaking. It almost feels like something at the lower level is corrupted and causing issues. What's the best way to go about performing a complete system wipe while also preserving the jailbreakability or if I'm updating the OS, making sure it can still be jailbroken once updated?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Bill Barber posted:

So I'm on an SE running 9.3.3 jailbroken first with the Pangu and now with the jb website. I've been completely fine with this and have had no desire to update to a newer jailbreak. However, lately I've been getting fairly frequent app crashes system wide and it's generally only fixed by turning off the phone and then rejailbreaking. It almost feels like something at the lower level is corrupted and causing issues. What's the best way to go about performing a complete system wipe while also preserving the jailbreakability or if I'm updating the OS, making sure it can still be jailbroken once updated?

Purely anecdotal but I'm on a 6S/9.3.3 and in the past week or so I've been having the same issues.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
I haven't been keeping up with the bleeding edge commentary on the state of JB in a long while; is there no hope for future JBs on current devices?

I've been on a 6S 9.3.3 for close to two years now and after 48 hours with the new 8 I've come to the conclusion I simply cannot use an iPhone without my little granular tweaks. I like having my calendar appointments and alarm countdowns on my lockscreen, the ability to lock any app behind Touch ID, more icons on the screen, hiding unwanted app updates, sped up graphics, auto-closing folders, etc. I really want an updated device but I'm too used to my setup to go back to vanilla iOS.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

spongeworthy posted:

I haven't been keeping up with the bleeding edge commentary on the state of JB in a long while; is there no hope for future JBs on current devices?

I've been on a 6S 9.3.3 for close to two years now and after 48 hours with the new 8 I've come to the conclusion I simply cannot use an iPhone without my little granular tweaks. I like having my calendar appointments and alarm countdowns on my lockscreen, the ability to lock any app behind Touch ID, more icons on the screen, hiding unwanted app updates, sped up graphics, auto-closing folders, etc. I really want an updated device but I'm too used to my setup to go back to vanilla iOS.

:sever:

Honestly though, the value for the effort and what you're giving up (security updates notably) just isn't there anymore. But that is just my opinion.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Also, look to see what Apple has already integrated into the OS. Since iOS 8 a LOT of tweaks have been discontinued because they're now part of iOS in some way or another.

My tweak list is smaller now than ever, and I'm really just holding onto iOS 10.2 for the following:

Activator (cross your fingers that Apple develops and opens up Workflow a lot)
Filza (mostly for SMB access, GoodReader can do that too...)
Flex to block ads from lovely apps
Sleipnizer to add gestures to Safari (super useful on the giant iPad Pro)

I have other stuff installed, but none of it is essential. iOS 9 is insanely old, and there have been a dozen severe security exploits fixed between then and now. Project Zero even published the Broadcom WiFi exploit a couple days ago, so I'm sure it's already weaponized and out in the wild. I'm considering moving from 10.2 -> 11 just for that.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

TraderStav posted:

Honestly though, the value for the effort and what you're giving up (security updates notably) just isn't there anymore. But that is just my opinion.

I'm not quite there yet, but getting close. I have held onto my 5S for longer than I originally intended. I missed the 9.3.3 window and I just don't know if I want to bother with the hassle of futurerestore to get onto 10.2, then have to use Cydia Impactor whenever my phone reboots (and I do sometimes have to power off or reboot because of that annoying iCloud sign-in bug). Plus I'm not sure 10.2 will run as well on a 5S or have all the same features it would on a slightly newer model.

But....

bobfather posted:

My tweak list is smaller now than ever, and I'm really just holding onto iOS 10.2 for the following:

Activator (cross your fingers that Apple develops and opens up Workflow a lot)
Filza (mostly for SMB access, GoodReader can do that too...)
Flex to block ads from lovely apps
Sleipnizer to add gestures to Safari (super useful on the giant iPad Pro)

I have Filza, adblocking, SwipeSelection, iCleaner, CacheCleaner, 3G Unrestrictor, and several other apps that make me actually enjoy using my phone. I foolishly only went with a 16GB model, so I need to be able to clear up space, and I also hate having a device I don't have complete control over (including access to a command line).

But another but....

bobfather posted:

I have other stuff installed, but none of it is essential. iOS 9 is insanely old, and there have been a dozen severe security exploits fixed between then and now. Project Zero even published the Broadcom WiFi exploit a couple days ago, so I'm sure it's already weaponized and out in the wild. I'm considering moving from 10.2 -> 11 just for that.

First I'd heard of this, though, and now I'm wondering whether to just buy a newer iPhone and hope either 10.3.1 or 11 gets a jailbreak someday.

Or just buy a Pixel.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Re: The security stuff

Aren't the big exploits usually patched and released as Cydia tweaks? Or are we talking about something else / I'm making that up?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

spongeworthy posted:

There is, but it's mostly following known JB folks on twitter and re-posting everything they post to reddit, even if it hardly hints at a JB. Then sitting around and waiting forever on old jank ios versions for the possible drop. We'll probably see it, but it'll likely be more limited and buggy than before.

TraderStav posted:

Yeah more or less. Apple has slowly integrated most useful JB tweaks over the year. I really really really miss zephyr. The X is pretty much 100% copying their gestures, which work really great.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Even the high-end Android phones are vulnerable to broadpwn.

https://blog.exodusintel.com/2017/07/26/broadpwn/

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

The Dave posted:

Re: The security stuff

Aren't the big exploits usually patched and released as Cydia tweaks? Or are we talking about something else / I'm making that up?

That has happened before multiple times. There's even (supposedly) a way to patch broadpwn on iOS 10.2, but it's manual-only right now, and nobody has packaged it into a nice deb that permanently installs:

https://www.reddit.com/r/jailbreak/comments/6scs80/tutorial_possible_method_to_patch_broadpwn_wifi/

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
I'm pretty close to leaving Jailbreaking myself and updating my 12.9 and 6+ from 9.3.3 to 11.

The only thing I really use is adblocking, but I have Pi-Hole on my network and apparently IOS can do this now and Flex to remove ads from the Uk All4 app.

Having Kodi on my ipad permanently and not having to use Cydia Impactor every 7 days is also a plus. But other than that, I'm sort of scratching my head as to why I'm still jailbroken.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
Jailbreaking is not worth it for 99.99% of people in 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

But zephyr :sigh:

• Locked thread