Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
E1M5
Feb 6, 2007
I'm kind of tempted to jailbreak my iPhone 3GS, but I'm wondering - how much of a hassle is it to keep jailbreaking when the newest software updates come out? For example, we've gotten 4.3.1 - 4.3.3 in just a few weeks. Or do you not have to even worry about updating until a major one comes out?

It seems like a lot to go through every time an update comes out, and it feels like I'd be forgetting/missing something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E1M5
Feb 6, 2007

HorseDickSandwich posted:

Just like what withak said, it has become really easy, especially with the packages.txt trick. The only pain in the rear end is if you rely on an unlock, then you really have to be on top of firmware updates.

I used to be really leery about jailbreaking as well, but it's fun and really usefull to me. I'm not heavily jailbroken and really on jailbreak for BiteSMS, themes, and other small miscellaneous things. Try it and if you don't like it, you can always go back.

Yeah, I think I'm gonna go ahead and give it a shot! Thanks. That's pretty much the reason I want to jailbreak my 3GS for - just themes and biteSMS essentially, maybe a new lockscreen.

Just to be 100% safe, I made a backup of my iPhone via iTunes, and I have the 4.3.3 firmware downloaded... in the event I want to go back, do I simply restore from backup or what? Because I've read a lot of different methods to doing this, and all of the information downpour is getting a little confusing.

E1M5
Feb 6, 2007

maduin posted:

If you have a backup of your device, yes you can go back to the state your phone is currently in by restoring from backup regardless of what happens. There's a link to Apple's support article regarding backups at the beginning of the thread.

Thread related: I'm going to use the second post as a sort of internal FAQ (as opposed to a general FAQ) to address questions that get asked a lot in this thread. That way the op is a little less daunting for people to read through. I've updated it with the packages.txt information, and if anyone remembers things that were repeatedly asked in the last iteration of the thread, just send me a PM and I'll add them.

Thanks. What's all this about SHSH files I'm hearing? Is it mandatory I download TinyUmbrella and backup 4.3.3 for if I do want to unjailbreak? I'm really confused about the whole SHSH thing - or is it only if i want to revert back to an older firmware?

As far as the jailbreaking goes, everything went smooth with my 3GS!

E1M5
Feb 6, 2007

Knives and Hot Dust posted:

I have winter board but do I download the teme from my computer or my ipod and where do I go?
EDIT: how do I get themes from here:http://macthemes.net/forum/viewforum.php?id=24
onto my ipod?

Yeah I'm wondering this too now. How do I edit folders and whatnot like a lot of these guides are saying to do?

• Locked thread