Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Tyma posted:

Hello thread!

I haven't dabbled in Jailbreaking since IOS 7, but I'm on the verge of finally getting an iPad, and I can't for the life of me find any information on which firmware versions the UK iPad Air 2 actually ships with.

If I grab one today, is it likely to be jailbreak-able out of the box, or should I be sensible and patient, and not impulse-buy an iPad until some progress is made on 8.3? ^^;

If you can check the serial number before you buy it, it's possible to decode the serial number and figure out the manufacturing date. Just cross reference that with the iOS version releases to be sure it came with 8.1.2. I did this last week but I wasn't buying through apple. They might have less old stock around so a reseller might be a better bet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201222

Yes.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Can’t hurt to try. To answer your question, the point is that people by and large upgrade their idevices enough that most people are running on the last OS or two, so there’s not much need to support devices stuck on iOS 9.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Moose-Alini posted:

I’ve wondered, if you restore an old iPad, will it let you download and restore the last compatible iOS? Like this stuff hasn’t been signed for years now.

The last version of iOS the device supported will be signed for it until the end of Apple. (Or if you happen to get lucky maybe Apple will accidentally sign every version for every device again when nobody’s looking)

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Because their private keys have never leaked. They likely never will. The best we’re likely to get is things like blob saving where you store a copy of the transaction between your phone and Apple, so that you can later reinstall the same OS version even if they’re not signing it. (Doesn’t necessarily work for newer iPhones) That’s pretty high level but is roughly correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Until someone publicly releases a new jailbreak it doesn’t seem likely.

• Locked thread