Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

IllegallySober posted:

We aren't going to help you steal, dude.

The app store is crashing, not installous. He can steal just fine; it's purchasing he's having trouble with.

(And installous can also be used to get previous versions of apps, or apps that have been removed from the store).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Jailbroken iOS 5 and running BiteSMS and SBSettings in beta.

Do not try to install anything that fucks about with the icons like Infinifolders; the ubiquitous IconSupport (only visible in dev mode) crashes hard.

Five Icon dock works though. I'm mostly looking forward to see how LockInfo integrates with the new notifications. I don't trust the alpha.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Bunk Rogers posted:

I'm getting a blank Cydia icon no matter how many times I restart and\or jailbreak. Anyone else gotten passed this?

edit: Not only blank, it won't launch.

Not trying to be a dick: It's a tethered jailbreak, you have to go to "extras" and "just boot" in redsn0w each time you power down/up or restart. Did you do this?

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

bonzaisushi posted:

Anyone try lockinfo out now that its been updated to ios5? If so would you mind sharing the beta repo? my google fu must be weak cause ive been searching for it but keep coming up blank.

edit: http://david.ashman.com/beta/

Correct Beta repo:
http://apt.dba-tech.net/beta/

EDIT: Realized you were probably working off old info in the thread.

The Aphasian fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Oct 12, 2011

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Found this, might be helpful for the curious:

http://thebigboss.org/ posted:

iOS 5 is out today. For those of you jailbreakers, you should be aware of the status. You may want to hold off on the update for now because the jailbreak is tethered:

1) A tethered jailbreak is available via redsn0w for all devices except iPad 2 and the new iPhone 4s.

2) Tethered jailbreak means you will have to use redsn0w to enter DFU mode and have it “just boot tethered” every time you power cycle your device. (Just tapping power is fine, you have to actually shut it off).

3) After you run redsn0w, even the very first time, you will have a white cydia icon. This is because you have to still power cycle, enter DFU mode, and boot tethered. The next reboot will come after you install something that requires mobile substrate (almost everything). After installing this, the device will only hit apple logo unless you do the boot tethered option.

4) If iOS5 turns out to be stable, tethered jailbreak may be manageable for many of you. But be aware that if something happens while you’re away from your computer and your device restarts, you will have to get to a computer before you can use your device again. This is probably not so bad for an ipod or ipad. Maybe not great for your only phone.

5) Many free and paid tweaks have not yet been updated. Developers are working on updates so be patient.

6) Non-factory unlockers should stay away from ios5 for now or you will lose your unlock! (This should go without saying).

7) iOS 4.3.4 and 4.3.5 is also tethered, so 4.3.3 is the only firmware that can be jailbroken untethered for now.

8) Improperly written notification center add-ons may cause your device to be in a reboot cycle. A mobilesubstrate update is due out later this week that will protect you against this. To protect yourself in the meantime, make sure you have openSSH installed so you are able to manually delete any notification center tweaks you install should this happen to you. Otherwise, you will have to restore and jailbreak again.

In other words, just to be safe, don't install or update anything via Cydia unless you are near a computer you can run redsn0w from, especially if on your iPhone.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Sigvard posted:

BBSettings is implemented much better with the Notification Center than SBS.

I'm in love with my iPhone 4 again.

Can you do some screenshots? Does it do everything SBSettings does (hide icons, dock, etc.)?

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Edit: ^^ They did, they hired Comex to work on notifications.

Pretty cool; gonna confuse me that the "power" icon is running apps though. Does it offer respring/reboot too?

The Aphasian fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 14, 2011

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Ziir posted:

They hired Peter Hajas to work on notifications, though I think before him they also hired the people who did webOS's notifications. Comex is/was an iOS kernel hacker, he's the guy who did jailbreakme.com. I'm assuming they hired him to have him patch up iOS security.

My terrible memory strikes again.

Aggro posted:

Whoa. How do you set this up?

Add http://cydia.pwndevteam.com/
Install.

Go to settings>notifications and add it to the visible ones, arranged as you like.

To add favorite apps, tap the wrench/"settings" icon and then the star in that section. (tap the bars to change service provider name).

So far I don't see a way to add toggles (miss the quick notepad and autolock toggle), and I kept SBS to hide icons, just removed it from the notifications and swipe in. Spotlight still finds hidden apps FYI.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Voodoo posted:

Can you access BBSettings from anywhere (in-app, etc)?

It sits in the notification drop down. Anywhere that works, BBSettings works.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Latest version of LockInfo includes partial support for Notification Center widgets, which means BBSettings can show up on your lockscreen.

It isn't perfect yet; you can't collapse or even removes something if it's an NC widget, and they don't follow the main LI theme, but you can reorder them. Looks promising. If LockInfo comes up with a NC theme and fixes those issues it might save itself from being replaced by a jailbreak app that allows custom NC widgets.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Corbet posted:

I'm just curious, why is SBSettings so important for you (and fellow jail breakers)? When I do jailbreak, I do install SBSettings, but I can't say I exactly miss it when I'm unbroken. Very rarely do I need quick access to 3G/Wifi/GPS toggles.

90% brightness settings, 9% wifi on/off 1% the other toggles.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Well I installed a bunch of jailbreaks yesterday, and one of them is making my phone reset itself. Because I have iOS 5, that means gotta re-tether every time! Yay!

Time to uninstall one by one and see if it fixes it :-\

Get SemiTether. If you have to reboot you won't be able to use jailbreak apps that rely on MobileSubstrate, but your phone will still work Vanilla like.

I think you have to add http://thebigboss.org/semitether/ to get it still.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Xenomorph posted:

Just a note that Safari and Mail will not function if you do have to reboot. A work-around for Safari is that other browser still work (but no mail alternative).

But this is still WAY better than the old situation where nothing worked if you rebooted.

Thanks, I hadn't noticed that since I've only needed it once (but thank god). Having my phone be able to function as a phone is one of the most important features I look for in a phone.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

My wife, on 4.whatever has refused to let me update her iPhone because she loves her jailbreak. Semitether working and some of the neat 5.0 features finally convinced her. The problem is that I've gotten a new computer since then and it wants to wipe out her apps and music to sync with the "new" library, which is really just the old library on a new machine. When I brought my phone over I got around this somehow by clicking okay and then panicking and clicking cancel and unplugging my phone and then it just worked somehow. Is there a more elegant solution, or should I just datadeposit her Tiny Wings etc. files?

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Is there a reason that the Lockinfo Clock plugin's calendar will not update?

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

m0isty posted:

By "update", do you mean show your calendar entries? It doesn't do that, it's just a basic calendar. ;)

I mean it still displays October and I can't even swipe it left or right to change months.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Admob ads are starting to popup on my Notes and Photo apps, the vanilla ones that are part of the base os. All of my apps, jailbreak or otherwise, are paid in full and legal. What is causing this?

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

adm posted:

Are SMS notifications in Lockscreen showing up for anyone else long after they've been checked? I'm using biteSMS so I'm not sure if the problem is specific to that or just part of the SMS plugin.

Every now and again, especially if I get some rapid fire and "clear" one in the middle of a chain, an sms will duplicate itself in the notification area over and over again. Force-quitting the BiteSMS app and respringing/rebooting (DON'T FORGET IF YOU ARE TETHERED) fixes it.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Is there a jailbreak app that tells me the time via vibration? I want to be able to reach in my pocket, flip the lock back and forth and have it "chime" the closest hour and quarter hour with vibrations, battery be damned.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

randyest posted:

stuck in a lot of supid pointless meetings that go on seemingly forever in a room without a clock and looking at the time on your phone is verboten? But seriously, that's not a terrible idea, though probably with limited appeal.

That and perfectly nice coworkers who can turn a 10 second question about our tax ID into a half hour conversation about their senile aunt with an eating disorder.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

^^^That's like a wrist phone that doesn't make calls, right? Like a musicless ipod touch?

I have a few nice watches, but all of our conference rooms are of the arrangement that it is impossible to do much of anything without being in full view. I also wear a sweaters in the winter because I am a lazy slob who doesn't want to iron his shirts, and pushing up my sleeve to check my watch makes me feel melodramatic.

I used to just put my phone on the table to "check my schedule" every now and again, but it's not a blackberry so I'm obviously not checking work email or calendar. And my jerkass friends like to mms me inappropriate pictures.

Mostly, once I had the idea I really think it would be cool, especially for in the cinema/theater/weddings/funerals.

The Aphasian fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Dec 21, 2011

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

I've used it to get a previous version of stuff when the newer version was broken or had features taken away.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Anytime I try to update vanilla apps it tells me I haven't bought a major release yet and gives me the option to buy. This is with free apps like google+ and flixter. If I hit "yes" it sometimes works, and I never get charged.

Is this a jailbreak issue or something else?

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Updating via iTunes works for me, but is a pain in the rear end to do every time.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Fozaldo posted:

Decided to finally get my iphone 4 up to date and upgraded to 5.11 from 4.32 All went well and I was inspired to look for some new tweaks. I came across Siriport and I have to tell you, it works like a charm. It's a bit tricky to get going at first but is now working perfectly. There is even a package you can install on top to make all the location services work here in the UK which was a major gripe with Siri. I showed it off to a guy at work and he wasn't best pleased that my iphone 4 could use siri to look up the location of the nearest Sainsburys while his 4S couldn't. I now also use siri to shut down my phone rather than sbsettings. Happy days.

I thought Spire wouldn't work with 5.1+? How did you get around that?

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

I managed to use the right one from the get go, but I'm still getting the "I'm really sorry, can't help you" messages. Guess I'll wait and see.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Fozaldo posted:

Keep going and keep trying the odd reboot, took me a while too. Once it works it works all the time.

Finally works. Thanks for the Howto.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Fozaldo posted:

Hey nice one, you finally got there, it's so cool to have it working well on a non 4S. Have a look some siri tweaks and remember you can add location services if you are outside the US. Have fun.

Welp, it stopped working. As soon as I held the button down it would make the "listening" sound immediately followed by the "no longer listening" and an apology. So I went to reinstall and now it's apple logos all the way down. Should have waited until I got home, now I have a workday without audiobooks.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

I just got an iPad 3 and jailbroke it without a hitch. Is there a real reason to use Displayout instead of buying a licensed cable?

Also, is there any tweak that adds shortcuts to the wireless Apple keyboard? (Specifically an app switcher or homescreen function mapped to one of the other function keys.)

Are there any other must-haves?

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

MickRaider posted:

Where do jailbreak apps store their settings information?

I want to remove my settings for infinifolders if anyone knows a quick and easy way of doing it?

Springtomize ($2.99) has the ability to remove extension settings, as well as combining some of the more popular tweaks into one (the tv-style shutdown, multiple dock icons, animation speed, carrier name, etc.)

TraderStav posted:

Hey all. Always like to check in with the thread before I do anything. I am jailbroken on 5.0.1 and want to go to stock 5.1.1. Ive removed all cydia apps. Just upgrade ota or anything else need to be done?

What I did:
Backup in iTunes, update and restore to 5.1.1, restore from backup, download greenpois0n and run one of the easiest jailbreaks ever (don't even need to DFU, just plug in iDevice click run and you're set).

The Aphasian fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 4, 2012

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Have you tried Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings?

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Zorilla posted:

Looks like SiriPort has stopped working on two separate phones overnight. Is anybody else experiencing this?

SiriPort.ru posted:

Siri Port Server
Published on 6.11.2012 by gdimait in SiriPort.Ru

Currently, work is underway on the server!

The original server and the Russian Siri will resume tonight.

I apologize.

Server will be back soon! Wait please!
via google translate

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Hamburlgar posted:

I can't think of a single time id ever use Siri. You see people trying to use it on their 4s and having to repeat phrases over and over.

On an iPad I imagine it would be even less useful, as I don't carry my iPad with me 24/7 like I do my phone. And typing to me seems less cumbersome than trying to get an app to recognise a brittish accent, as dictation on the ipad3 is poo poo enough.

I'll admit that I spent an inordinate amount of effort on getting it to work, knowing that it was a gimmick. It was just a petulant little tantrum "I can't have it? There's no good reason why not! I'LL SHOW YOU APPLE."

And now I've just disabled it. Because saying "Play "Dark Comes the Night"" and then waiting awkwardly for 10 seconds is not easier than just finding and playing it normally.

The only useful thing is texting while cooking or cleaning, but at that point I feel like I should just call on speaker phone.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

I don't understand the discomfort at all. It's very human to empathize with or anthropomorphize an inanimate object, especially one that you can actually have a (limited, non-Turing passing) verbal "conversation" with.

While we don't have a gendered language we typically assign gender roles to objects and ideas, even when we don't assign them pronouns (I remember a study where most Americans felt "fork" was masculine and "spoon" feminine, due mainly to cultural gender tradition and a host of other things, but none of them said Mr. Fork and Ms. Spoon).

Even before Siri, did none of you ever cuss out a hammer that you hit your own thumb with, or call a computer/car/coffee maker a piece of poo poo when it stopped working?

I mean sure, make fun of the inevitable crazy guy "marrying" Siri and mspainting an anime simulacra of her on an awkward photo he took of himself hugging air, but this whole discussion is very :bahgawd::goonsay::spergin:

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

EDIT: BALLS ^^^

Not SBSettings at all. NCSettings. You'll have to install Poof separately if you want to hide icons.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

You can always get to any hidden app via spotlight search.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

For whatever reason I had to do a second restore from backup once I put all my apps back on (they didn't go automatically for some reason). All my setting were saved, but, for example, Audible had a list of books "downloaded" but all the files weren't really there and would have had to be redownloaded. Less an issue for files synced to a cloud, but for apps like ComicZeal, it would suck to have to refind all of my comics and put them back on.

Re-restoring from backup fixed it.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Robo-Pope posted:

Is CleanStatus working for you? It continues to cause crashes for me.

He's talking about how Springtomize 2 replaces all of those apps.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Is there a tweak to put newly purchased/installed apps on the first page if there is room? This is a dumb little annoyance, but fixing dumb little annoyances is the whole point jailbreaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

hunter x az posted:

Not condoning piracy: However, I have said multiple times before, the primary benefit of jailbreaking is to pirate apps. Not that I do it, I have paid at least 40$ this month since the JB was released. However, that's all there is to it. The majority of iOS users are teenagers who don't have access to real money.

Ethically, if you jailbreak, to enable tethering, thereby circumventing your carrier's paid plan for tethering, is the same. Just because you believe that you should be able to use the bandwidth how you see fit, doesn't make it ethical. It falls outside of the contract you signed.

You blunder into a group of people, blather inanely about unwarranted assumptions regarding their motivations and morals, back up these claims with made up facts and statistics, hedge your bets by making false comparisons and back-handedly "understanding" these imagined transgressions while condemning them, ending with a conclusion out of no where. Are you a politician?

• Locked thread