Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeph
Apr 9, 2007

This bagga nasty from Dogbert is
FRESH
Safari Download Manager. Some third-party browsers might support Dropbox but I don't know about those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeph
Apr 9, 2007

FRESH
What's the point of using BiteSMS on an iPad? Serious question, I don't have a clue.

Zeph
Apr 9, 2007

FRESH

Ezrem posted:

If you use GV, buy (or at least try) the SMS GV extension. Lets you text via GV natively from any SMS app using your data plan.
So, so worth the money. There's a Phone GV extension by the same dude that does the same thing, but with calls.

Zeph
Apr 9, 2007

FRESH

RustyTrombone posted:

Can someone tell me what app/mod I need to display the date at the top next to the time, an a percentage battery in the top right indicator? I used to have them but I don't recall how.
SBSettings.

Zeph
Apr 9, 2007

FRESH

The Aphasian posted:

Not trying to be a dick: It's a tethered jailbreak, you have to go to "extras" and "just boot" in redsn0w each time you power down/up or restart. Did you do this?
What this dude said. That includes the reboot immediately after jailbreaking.
Fun fact, you can rename the redsnow .exe to anything with the word 'boot' in it and it will automatically take you to the tethered part.

Zeph
Apr 9, 2007

FRESH

Bummey posted:

I don't suppose anyone knows of a jailbreak app that'll allow you to restrict certain apps from calling home or accessing the data connection? Having to turn on Airplane Mode is annoying and can make me miss calls.
Firewall iP can block all connections to specific apps. It's a paid Cydia app. It's also good for blocking ads (especially in Safari).

Man, I really miss jailbreak stuff (new 4S owner).

Zeph
Apr 9, 2007

FRESH

dutchbstrd posted:

Hmm cool, I'll give it a shot tonight.

I'm just afraid it won't boot after upgrading to 5.0.1 before re-jailbreaking with all my mobilesubstrate poo poo installed.

Has anyone else done the 5.0.1 update OTA on a 5.0 semi-tethered jailbreak? One confirmation that it works will make me feel allll better.
Did it on my iPad, worked fine.

Zeph
Apr 9, 2007

FRESH

randyest posted:

I considered trying it to give my wife's 4 access to my 4s siri, but after reading the directions and hearing about all the pains in asses involved, I decided against it. If I didn't have a 4s to use for the key I wouldn't have even considered it. YMMV.
I found it to be pretty simple to set up...the only issue I have is outside access to my VPN so I can use it wherever haha. It's more of a novelty thing really. While there are some pretty sweet plugins, I don't have a use for any. I made one that just spits out random racist jokes though, more for shock value when I show it to company. When a 4S jailbreak comes out though, things will become very interesting.

And I can't get it to work on my freakin' iPad. Spire's all sorts of screwed up on it. Yes, I know it's not technically compatible with it, but I wanted to at least try damnit!

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Anyone used Spire? Thinking about jail breaking just for it, but wondering if it's even possible to find a good host...is it even right to talk about it here?
You absolutely do not want to use any public host. Siri sends a ton of personal info, including your current location, and it's trivial to gather that data.

Zeph
Apr 9, 2007

FRESH

randyest posted:

Is there a purpose to installous other than piracy? I'm genuinely curious.

So do you have a 4 or 4s or what? Can you describe your setup a bit and maybe link to a guide you used? Maybe I found the lovely ones...
I've got a 4S and an iPad 1. I'm running Siriproxy in a Ubuntu 11.10 VM. Specifically, I'm running https://github.com/westbaer/SiriProxy that fork of it, because it stores the 4S' auth keys for ~24hrs until they become invalid. It doesn't send them anywhere, just stores them locally (you can check the code yourself). That's required for non-4S devices to use it.

I pretty much followed that guide as it's self-explanatory and for the most part you can straight up copy+paste in the commands to Terminal, but it'd be advantageous if you have at least a little knowledge of linux command-line.

Anyone know anything about VPNs? Hit me up, check my profile.

Zeph fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jan 3, 2012

Zeph
Apr 9, 2007

FRESH
I never got into making some fancy pansy lock screen. I like simple.

Zeph
Apr 9, 2007

FRESH
Regarding that battery fix: it does nothing.

http://www.bingner.com/batteryfix.html

Zeph
Apr 9, 2007

FRESH
That AssistantConnect app in Cydia is pretty fuckin sweet. Before that, to get Siri on my iPad 1 I had to run ubuntu in a vm and running a siriproxy server, configure networking and all that bullshit so I could VPN in from anywhere, and it would only maybe work. And also my computer at home goes to sleep after 2 hours of inactivity so it was pretty much worthless anyway.

Now all I gotta do is hit a button that emails auth stuff to my iPad, and load the email attachment and I'm good for 24 hours.

Zeph
Apr 9, 2007

FRESH
If you like the tv-tube animation just buy Springtomize. It has that option, plus like a hundred other unrelated useful things.

Zeph
Apr 9, 2007

FRESH

Goodpart posted:

This was asked in December 2011...

...and I've yet to see a JB app that does just this. All I want is added functionality for the Reminders app that keeps reminders a) constantly on my lock screen, rather than just on a given day/at a given location, and b) persistent (ie. doesn't go away the minute you unlock your phone).

The closest thing I've seen is iReminder but it's ugly as sin, and it doesn't interface with the default Reminders app in any way, shape or form.

Any ideas?
LockInfo can do this, it's the way I have it set up on my phone.

Zeph
Apr 9, 2007

FRESH

Denim Dude posted:

It can still be jailbroken. I've seen some people complaining that OTA updates are not compatible with the jailbreaks though so I don't know if that will affect you. You are SOL on getting the blobs.
OTA updates aren't compatible with same-major-version firmware restoration (like 5.0.1 to 5.1.1 for example), the jailbreak should work fine.

Zeph
Apr 9, 2007

FRESH
So, I made a little Cydia tweak today as an experiment. It's called In a Minute, and it lets you select minutes in datepickers, which usually only let you choose in intervals.

That may not be so clear. Maybe pictures will help.

Before: After:

Works system-wide, even with Cydia tweaks like Tap to Remind (which is awesome).
Should be up on the BigBoss repo soon.

Zeph
Apr 9, 2007

FRESH

Blimpkin posted:

... toggle for iTunes Match, with the functionality being disabling display all music, limiting to only displaying what is downloaded to the device.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

We'd like a toggle for it outside of Settings-Music.
MatchInMusic SBSettings toggle in Cydia.

Zeph fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Mar 18, 2013

Zeph
Apr 9, 2007

FRESH

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

SBSettings :negative:

I'll give it a shot.
I wrote it for SBSettings because that's what I use! Maybe some day this week when I've got some time I'll look into writing a toggle for NCSettings (I'm assuming that's what you're using). I've never used it and don't really know much about it.

Zeph
Apr 9, 2007

FRESH

Blimpkin posted:

How did you write it? I'm also a recent SBSettings to NCSettings convert, and while I don't vehemently oppose SBSettings, if you could write it for NCSettings that would be amazing.

And also, thank you for even taking the time to write a toggle.
Theos build system, by Dustin Howett. The language itself is called Logos but its basically objective-c with custom operators (%hook, %orig, %group, etc). That's my understanding of it, at least.

edit: NCSettings was apparently discontinued? That's strange considering how popular it is. I looked into it a little and it doesn't seem like I'd have to make a lot of changes to get it working with NCSettings.

Zeph fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 18, 2013

Zeph
Apr 9, 2007

FRESH

Blimpkin posted:

Now that we're back, Zeph, did you ever get around to migrating that MatchInMusic tweak over to NCSettings?
I'm gonna do it sometime this weekend. I was waiting for my dev-only iDevice (ipt4g) to be delivered, which happened like an hour ago haha. Didn't like doing dev stuff on products I use daily.

I got it all set up and ready to go and installed NCSettings on it...and I gotta admit, I quite like it.

Zeph
Apr 9, 2007

FRESH

Blimpkin posted:

Question: is there a tweak to replace my password for iTunes with a grid/dot drawing? Like, I have my password stored, and then instead of being forced to type my password with a caps, and numbers and symbols, I can just draw a pattern?
Stride, in Cydia.

Zeph
Apr 9, 2007

FRESH
So, I've got my NCSettings toggle working but every icon I make for it is total poo poo. I'm sorry if this is the wrong place for this, but would anyone mind whipping one up for me? I've honestly spent more time fiddling with the icon than getting the toggle itself working. I've still got some packaging stuff I need to do so there's no rush. I've got 4 psd's here, on and off 1x and 2x - yoink.

edit 2: I made the icons, they look nice. Need to figure out one small but important thing first before it'll be release ready for Cydia, but I can post it here with manual instructions, if anyone wants.

Zeph fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Mar 24, 2013

Zeph
Apr 9, 2007

FRESH
Been sitting on this for a while, but I just got a definitive answer to my issue so I'm cool posting this now.
I know it's not a big deal, but there were people here who wanted this toggle, so here it is.

The issue is, the developer of NCSettings somehow broke the new-toggle-detection in the latest version 1.7.1 (his words), so simply installing the .deb won't work. I have not tested it with any older versions, which may detect it just fine.
The way it has to be done until he fixes the issue (which he said he would do "sometime"), would be adding a string to the "Hidden" array with the value of "MatchInMusic" (case sensitive) in it's settings plist, located at /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/com.jamied360.ncsettings.plist.
Here's the link: http://limelinx.com/e1py6

Zeph
Apr 9, 2007

FRESH

Blimpkin posted:

This is great thank you, but
I'm a bit confused as to where I drop this file I've downloaded.

Also is there a download manager for chrome?
So, you need to install the .deb file first, like any other Cydia package. Cydia has an auto-install system but to be honest I've never used it, you can search for how to do that.

You can do this whole thing on-device via iFile (it should install the .deb fine, definitely can do the plist edit). But, if you can't do it in iFile, just SSH to your phone (or use an app like Prompt in the AppStore and connect to 127.0.0.1)

Step 1: Installation. So, either in iFile or a terminal, navigate to wherever you put the file (regarding Chrome download manager: I don't know if one exists; there's a Safari one in Cydia that's really good). Use iFile to install it (or, terminal command: dpkg -i whatever_you_saved_the_file_as.deb).

Step 2: Plist edit. Using iFile now, navigate to /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/ and open up com.jamied360.ncsettings.plist in the plist editor. You'll see there's an array key called "Hidden", where you'll see names of other hidden toggles. Add a new entry, and make the value of it "MatchInMusic" (case-sensitive). I personally also increase the number of toggles visible (the key names are obvious), but that's your call.

Step 3: Respring, go to Settings.app and drag your new toggle to the "Visible" section in NCSettings. Done!

Bucket Joneses posted:

Are you doing this from your phone? That sounds like a nightmare. Do you have a laptop/desktop from which to SSH?
It's really not so bad, but it's obviously far from ideal.
I've talked to the dev of NCSettings a bit, and there's no telling when he'll push out the bug fix that makes step 2 unnecessary (techtalk: he re-wrote his preference bundle and forgot to write a toggle detection function). Because of this, I can't just submit it to a default Cydia repo, because it won't show up for anyone without the plist edit! It's the reason I was sitting on this for a while, but since there's no timeframe of when it'll be fixed, I figured at least some people can use it, and my work won't go to waste.

Zeph
Apr 9, 2007

FRESH

Blimpkin posted:

You're the man, dude. Do you want me to buy you a thing or something this tweak is the tits, and your walkthrough was quite explanatory.

It does futz with your NC toggle arrangement, but it's easy enough to fix. Goddamn, you are a saint.

e: also, the toggle icon is adorable, glad you found a source for that
Nah I don't need anything, I appreciate it though. Glad you got it working. I ended up making the icon myself :hellyeah:

Zeph
Apr 9, 2007

FRESH
drat, I'm really liking that FlatIcons theme. I'm almost always against theming (well, I'm against installing WinterBoard to be specific), because 99% of themes are garbage. FlatIcons is making me reconsider. Is there a way to use it without installing WinterBoard?

Zeph
Apr 9, 2007

FRESH
I plopped down the dollar menu cheeseburger for FlatIcons, and for the first time in years, installed WinterBoard to use it. I like it a lot. I've only got one issue remaining after some tinkering - in the lockscreen No HTML thme, there's a light grey background behind Lockinfo's clock/weather section. I wish it was transparent, any way to make that happen? (see: http://imgur.com/6VjgYBR)

Zeph
Apr 9, 2007

FRESH

bobfather posted:

You're wrong.
This guy's right, but I don't know why he didn't bother including any actual helpful info.

Install SAM, via Cydia - http://www.bingner.com/SAM.html
Use it to de-activate the phone, then plug it into your computer and run iTunes, and it'll unlock the phone (provided it's actually been approved for unlocking by your carrier). That's how I did it on my 4S, didn't have to upgrade firmwares because I wanted to keep my jailbreak.

Zeph
Apr 9, 2007

FRESH
For those who use iTunes Match: I just ported over my MatchInMusic toggle to use the Flipswitch framework, and this new version works better than the old SBSettings/NCSettings versions. Because it's now a Flipswitch, it works with any tweak that uses the framework (I personally use CCControls).

If you don't know what it is, it's just a toggle for the "Show Music" option, which either shows or hides Match tracks in the music app (as opposed to only displaying music stored on your device).

It's in the BigBoss repo under the predictable name "MatchInMusic Flipswitch".

Zeph fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 30, 2014

Zeph
Apr 9, 2007

FRESH
My tweak AlbumSnapper just got released on Cydia today! If any of you guys find it useful and would like a free copy, shoot me your Cydia ID and I'll hook it up.

Zeph
Apr 9, 2007

FRESH

Christoff posted:

That sounds nifty. Question though.

The default album organizer is pointless because you can copy a picture from one album to the other but you can't delete it from the original source. Seems pointless. Does this let me do that or does anyone know a tweak that will? I can only assume this is changed in ios7
Think of photo albums as symlinks to images in the camera roll. If you delete a pic from the camera roll, then yeah it'll be deleted from any albums it's in. I don't think there is a way around this.

bobfather posted:

I'd love to try it. 1288659 is mine.
Enjoy!

Zeph
Apr 9, 2007

FRESH

spongeworthy posted:

God damnit. I just did this poo poo yesterday.
Same here. Install "Attachment Encryptor" from Cydia (repo: http://rpetri.ch/repo). That's all it fixes.

Anyone still have an iPhone or iPod Touch on 7.0.x? I need help testing this new build of AlbumSnapper because I no longer have a 7.0.x device and all of my friends upgraded as well. Hit me up at <redacted at gmail> and let me know you're from here. You'll totally get a free copy.
A kind goon helped me out. Thanks!

Zeph fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeph
Apr 9, 2007

FRESH
Don't know if anyone who used to use it cares, or if you're a current iTunes Match user, but I updated my MatchInMusic flipswitch to work with iOS 8. Should be up on the BigBoss repo some time today.

• Locked thread