Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Is that you, John Wayne? Is this me?
This is from the old thread. It's a terminal script that will make a .txt file of every package and program installed on your phone, and after you update and jailbreak, you run the rest of the script and it will automatically download everything you had on cydia and reinstall it. It's a lot better than any of those backup programs.

withak posted:

Before the update:
code:
dpkg --get-selections > packages.txt
After the update:

Jailbreak then install OpenSSH and APT via Cydia then ssh in and do
code:
dpkg --set-selections < packages.txt
apt-get -u dselect-upgrade
Then reboot.

All your Cydia apps and settings magically end up right where they were before the update.

Also, DataDeposit should be added to the OP, because it allows you to save any of your app or game data to dropbox and when you reinstall a game, you can update it with your saved data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

E1M5 posted:

I'm kind of tempted to jailbreak my iPhone 3GS, but I'm wondering - how much of a hassle is it to keep jailbreaking when the newest software updates come out? For example, we've gotten 4.3.1 - 4.3.3 in just a few weeks. Or do you not have to even worry about updating until a major one comes out?

It seems like a lot to go through every time an update comes out, and it feels like I'd be forgetting/missing something.

Just like what withak said, it has become really easy, especially with the packages.txt trick. The only pain in the rear end is if you rely on an unlock, then you really have to be on top of firmware updates.

I used to be really leery about jailbreaking as well, but it's fun and really usefull to me. I'm not heavily jailbroken and really on jailbreak for BiteSMS, themes, and other small miscellaneous things. Try it and if you don't like it, you can always go back.

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Knives and Hot Dust posted:

I have winter board but do I download the teme from my computer or my ipod and where do I go?
EDIT: how do I get themes from here:http://macthemes.net/forum/viewforum.php?id=24
onto my ipod?

You can instal OpenSSH and use your phone like a server and transfer things that way. If you're on a mac there is a program called "iPhone Explorer" that will let you see the filesystem of your phone and you can transfer stuff that way.

Either way you decide, your themes will be under Library > Themes. Once you put something in there, it will show up in Winterboard for you to select.

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

LamoTheKid posted:

Get WinSCP, find out your iphones WiFI IP address, create a new SFTP connection in WinSCP with your iphones IP as the address, root as the username, and alpine as the password. And you have a regular filesystem you can explore (If you're not familiar with BSD or Linux it might be a bit confusing).

OpenSSH imo is the single most useful thing to install when you jailbreak, especially if you're good with the commandline.

Just to elaborate a little bit. To find out the wifi address of your iPhone/iPod go into Settings > Wi-Fi and tap the arrow next to your network and your IP will be the first entry.

LamoTheKid pretty much said what to do from here on. Just make sure you put everything into Library > Themes.

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

There's an app called Cloud Browse that let's you view flash. It basically connects you to a computer and you're seeing what the computer sees, but if flash is an absolute necessity, it would work.

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Feenix posted:

I mentioned this a month or so ago, but seriously, the last 2 jailbreaks (and I've done a totally clean restore and not worked from a backup.) have made it so my Answer Call button, my Speakerphone button, etc... take about a million taps to respond before working.

Example case: I receive a call. My screen lights up with the caller and at the bottom is an Answer & an Ignore button. The I tap the answer button. Nothing. Doesn't even visually respond that it's been tapped. I keep tapping. About 10 seconds later I can answer the call.

The only reason this hasn't been a bigger issue is I just don't make & receive a ton of phone calls.

But still, it's annoying the poo poo outta me.

Anyone else?

(iPhone 4, 4.3.3 Jailbroken.)

I haven't had that problem at all, and I've got the same setup as you. The only time I've ever had a problem answering was when there was a bad smudge on the screen and I couldn't slide to answer. That hardly ever happens though.

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

LamoTheKid posted:

Any :spergin: themeing/lockscreen stuff installed?

I'm on 4.3.3 jailbroken and do not have this problem.

That's a good question. Feenix, you should check that for sure. I had a lockscreen them installed and when the answer buttons would show up, I had to tap at the very top of the buttons to make them respond.

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

I've had zero problems with Winterboard. As long as whatever theme I'm using has the correct image files with the correct file names, it runs perfectly fine.

I discovered a program called Bigify. It's free, and the exact same thing as shrink, but instead of only making the icons smaller you can make them bigger, rotate them, and change their transparency. It's pretty neat.

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

FloatingPoop posted:

Odd issue that I only recently discovered... A few days ago I changed my wallpaper AND lock screen picture to one that I had in my photo gallery (hit the "set both" button) and now themes in winterboard are unable to change the lockscreen picture. Any idea what's causing this?

If you're using 4.3+ Apple changed the file format for pictures. Instead of .png or .jpg, they use .cbitmap. If you have a custom lockscreen that points to where the wallpaper would normally be located, there is no LockBackground.png anymore, it's LockBackground.cbitmap.

In order for a custom theme to change, you need to change the CSS or HTML in the theme to point to an image inside of the theme folder itself.

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Ice Blue posted:

I was comparing my iPhone with someone else's iPhone today and I noticed that the text looks a bit different. Both iPhone 4s, I remember whenever I install winterboard, it messes up my text so I have to turn on white icon labels. The default is white and has a shadow. Is there any way to fix it so that it goes back to that?

Add this to Winterboard and activate.

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

flyboi posted:

So I'm a little confused about SHSH blobs. Why are these so important? I was able to downgrade from 5.0 to 4.2.8 on my Verizon iPhone by just creating the .ipsw and flashing it using iREB. I was under the impression you need SHSH blobs to be able to downgrade but that seems to not be the case. Can someone clarify this for me please?

The OP does a pretty decent job of explaining it.

OP posted:

Here are a few quick pieces of information taken directly from the Tiny Umbrella FAQ:
Q: What is an SHSH?
A: An SHSH is a secure signature hash. Basically its a unique key. (To avoid a lengthy discussion).

Q: Why do I need SHSHs?
A: Apple only allows you to restore to the firmwares they 'sign'. This 'signing' only lasts for a limited time. Once they stop 'signing' the SHSHs for a firmware, there is no way to restore that firmware ever again.

Here is an additional explaination of SHSH blobs and Tiny Umbrella courtesy of withak:
When you try to install a firmware through iTunes, it phones in to Apple. It sends what is basically your phone's serial number and the firmware version that you are installing, and Apple sends back an encrypted response -- called a "SHSH blob" -- that iTunes uses to determine whether you are allowed (or not allowed) to be installing that firmware version.

Tiny Umbrella saves that response for your current phone's serial number and whatever firmwares Apple is approving so that in the future if you want to install an old firmware that Apple isn't currently approving then Tiny Umbrella can spoof that Apple server and trick iTunes into letting you install an old version. Pretty much the only reason you would want to do this is if a future iOS version isn't jailbreakable but you install it anyway and later decide that you want to downgrade to something that is jailbreakable.

Because 4.2.8 is what Apple is currently signing for Verizon, you didn't have to worry about having your SHSH saved for that version. If the current firmware for Verizon was 4.2.9 and you wanted to go to 4.2.8 from 5.0, there would be no possible way to do that without having your SHSH saved for 4.2.8.

edit - ^^beaten.

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

angry_zellers posted:

Do you know if 4.3.3 works well with the majority of the Cydia tweaks/apps? I haven't been paying attention to the JB scene for awhile.

For everything I use, they all work fine on 4.3.3. I think since it's been out a while now, most of the well known, popular jailbreak tools have probably been updated.

edit - spelling.

PunkRockTuba fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 25, 2011

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Israfil posted:

Is it still possible to unlock an iPhone 2G? I have been following the instructions and using the programs from various sites mentioned in the OP (redsn0w and sn0wbreeze), but, as best as I can tell, I am not getting anywhere. The phone currently has 3.1.3 firmware, and an inactive SIM card (I do not have an active SIM card to test in the phone). My computer is running Vista 64.

It seems I might need ultrasn0w, but I'll be damned if I can find where to download it. I'm completely befuddled at this point, and any help will be appreciated.

It's pretty easy to jailbreak the original iPhone, this should help.

http://www.jailbreakmatrix.com/chart?version=3.1.3&device=iphone1

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

I can't wait to see the videos of kids jailbreaking all the devices in the apple store again.

Comex is really slick in how he presents everything, and I'm glad he released a patch with the jb.

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Feenix posted:

I use Lockscreen on my iPhone 4. I turn the big Clock off (it takes up so much space on the lockscreen.)

Is there any way to have the time display in the status bar (like it does when the phone is unlocked) even when the phone is on the lockscreen?

(On the lockscreen it just shows a lock icon where the little status bar time usually is.)

You can use Lockscreen Clock Hide to show the time on the status bar.

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Why would someone jailbreak a beta intended only for developers?

Because maybe they develop jailbreak apps and want to test them against iOS 5?

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Christoff posted:

-edit - Ok on a whim deleted the last gs.apple line from the host file. I tried like 3x before but this time it worked. Not sure if it was a collaboration of efforts or what. Thank god.

Ok, can I get some help please?

I have a Iphone 4g 4.2.1 tethered (big mistake). I want to upgrade to 4.3.3.

I get error 3194. I open my host file and delete all the gs.apple lines. Still get the error.

I used ireb and redsnow to put into dfu recovery mode. When I used rednsnow I tried to restore to my original 4.2.1 firmware but got the 1013 error. Then I went and deleted whatever line it told me in google and I still get the 3194 error.

I can still boot tethered. In Tiny Umbrella I have the box "set hosts to cydia on exit (if you need a clean restore from apple)" checked which seems to do nothing.

Ugh, this is so aggravating. Any help please?

Uncheck the "Set hosts to Cydia on exit" box. If you remove any gs.apple lines from your host file, then open TU with that box checked, it will re-add them.

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

loudog999 posted:

Yeah but the problem is I never updated to 4.3.3

If you've backed them up regularly, even if you never updated to 4.3.3, you could have still gotten the SHSH for it. Check to see if you and/or Cydia has it, if so, you're good to go.

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

KingKapalone posted:

How do I get the 4.3.4 blob? I open TinyUmbrella and click Save SHSH and this comes up in the log.

07/20/2011 13:51:09.759 For version [iPhone4 4.3.4 (8K2)] - This device isn't eligible for the requested build.
07/20/2011 13:51:09.768 CYDIA DOES NOT HAVE YOUR SHSH FOR iPhone4 4.3.4 (8K2) THERE IS NO WAY FOR YOU TO GET THEM. SORRY. YOU ARE JUST TOO LATE.

In TinyUmbrella under Advanced, uncheck "Request SHSH from Cydia" then retry. It should get 4.3.4 for you.

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Rick Rickshaw posted:

So I had a bit of a scare this morning and thought maybe I was going to have to restore my phone using Recovery or DFU mode, as it seemed to be stuck at the Apple logo on boot-up. Luckily it did eventually boot into the springboard and everything is hunky dory.

However, it made me raise the question...can I restore from a recent backup in iTunes and all of my jailbroken goodies will make it through the restore process? I'm guessing not, as I'm doubtful the jailbreak apps are even included in the backup files; so what are my options? I just don't want to go through the hassle of re-downloading apps if things were to go bad.

I read in the OP about DataDeposit, but that just seems to backup saved application data, which I'm not particularly concerned about. I don't have saved games or anything of that nature. I'm just happy with the setup of my phone at the moment, and would not want to start from scratch again.

Is there a nice list out there that tells me what I can backup via SSH to save all my jailbreak apps and settings?

From the OP, this little terminal trick works wonders. If you restore from a backup, and restore your jailbreak apps this way, all of your settings will remain.

The OP posted:

Q: I'm currently using a jailbroken device and would like to upgrade to the newest version of iOS. How can I do this without losing everything?
A: First of all, you should always have a backup of your device done through iTunes (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1766). Second, do not use one of the available programs on Cydia that are designed to back-up your device. They suck. Instead, you can do this with a simple terminal script (courtesy of withak):

Before updating your device via iTunes:
code:
dpkg --get-selections > packages.txt
After updating:

Jailbreak then install OpenSSH and APT via Cydia then SSH in and do
code:
dpkg --set-selections < packages.txt
apt-get -u dselect-upgrade
Use this in conjunction with the Cydia Application DataDeposit, which saves application and game data to Dropbox to allow easy backup. Alternatively, you can use either iFile, available on Cydia, or iPhone Explorer, which works without the need to jailbreak, to manually copy and replace application data.

edit: if you're on a PC, I have no idea how to help with this.

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Rick Rickshaw posted:

PC seemed to be no problem. I used putty...it created a file like this:

code:
apr-lib						install
apt7-key					install
apt7-lib					install
base						install
bash						install
bzip2						install
com.aerialx.ishshit				install
If it works as advertised, that's pretty sweet.

Yea, that looks about right. You should be good when you go to restore everything. Just sync again before you update to make sure your phone retains the file you just created.

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

airspiritx posted:

I'm using the Suave WinterBoard theme and love it, except that it uses its own boring gray gradient wallpaper instead of the one I've got set (though it returns to the system wallpaper when a folder's open, teasing me..) Is there a way to disable theme wallpapers that I'm not seeing, or is the best way to get my wallpaper to show up just SSHing in to find and replace Suave's wallpaper image?

If you SSH in, just delete the wallpaper or lock background (whatever it is named) file from the theme and you can use your own background again.

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

A FUCKTON OF WEED posted:

Thanks, that helps a lot.

It seems like it WAS activator. Since I SBSettings and most of BiteSMS's functionality depends on Activator and what I used my jailbreak for the most, I think I'm going to restore back to stock iOS after all. At least iOS 5's notifications really seem to be better than 4.x's.

I recently did the same thing. I installed Activator and my home button went to poo poo, I uninstalled it and it still was pretty terrible. I just decided to ditch the jailbreak for a while and try to get used to the stock OS again, because I definitely want to upgrade to iOS 5 when it's released.

I miss the hell out of BiteSMS, and other than theming the lock screen (removing the gloss from the clock and unlock slider) I don't really miss the jailbreak too much.

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Ashex posted:

I've been fighting with this phone for a few days and I'm running out of ideas.

I've got an iPhone 3G I'm going to give to my dad as he wants something to check email with on tmobile, it was running 3.1.2 and I upgraded it to 3.1.3, I was able to jailbreak it with jailbreakme but I couldn't unlock it as the baseband is 5.14.xx

I got my hands on a macbook and used redsn0w to try upgrading the phone to iOS 4.2.1 with baseband 6.15, it looked to be successful but the phone is stuck in a bootloop. So what gives? How do I unlock this device?

Go here: http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/ and download the "Fix Recovery Tool" for whatever platform you are using. Run that, and it will get your phone out of the bootloop.

That is a known problem when restoring to 4.2.1 with TinyUmbrella. The Fix Recovery button in the program doesn't work on 4.2.1 for some odd reason.

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Mercedes posted:

So as an early gift, my parents gave me an Iphone 3GS since my mom upgraded to the 4s. All I want to do is use my sim card from T-mobile in this sucker so redsn0w is the way to go?

edit: Holy gently caress, not that any of my questions matter cause no I've tried at least 10 times to get the drat phone into DFU mode using various guys on youtube and google.

editedit: gently caress this garbage. It's easier to just transfer my number and get a new sim card. You win AT&T.

Seriously just be patient. Putting an iPhone in DFU mode is almost trivial once you've done it a couple of times. Just keep trying and be patient and you'll get it.

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Oh how I love you BiteSMS, please don't ever leave me again. :glomp:

If you do install it make sure and do a full reboot after, I did a hard reset. If you don't, the iMessage functionality will be really out of whack.

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

waesa posted:

I don't think I'm a complete moron, but maybe I am?

I've got a jailbroken iPhone 4 running 4.2.1. If I try to update to 5.0.1 I get either error 21 or 1600. I've searched my rear end off and can't find anything that will fix this. Trying to update normally gives error 21, trying to update in DFU mode gives 1600.

I'm probably missing something really basic...

Oh and yeah I've disabled the 'set all hosts to cydia' on TinyUmbrella

I don't know if this wil fix it, but it might help. http://jaxov.com/2011/03/how-to-use-redsn0w-as-ireb-alternative-in-mac-to-put-iphone-in-pwned-dfu-mode/

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

When anyone else opens Cydia, does it take forever to refresh the sources? It takes me a good minute or two before I can start browsing after I initially load the app.

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Thanks for that link. I haven't been jailbroken in a while so it may just normally be this slow, I could have sworn it was faster. I'll turn that poo poo off and see if it speeds it up a bit.

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

GhostSeven posted:

I know MacThemes is listed in the original post but I am wondering what other sites people use for finding winterboard themes or more relevantly for my case Lockscreen themes, especially if the site(s) are listing if items are iOS5 compatible.

I go to a site called digitalvanity.me, it's pretty decent. The guy that runs it scours all kinds of places and finds some decent looking stuff. He posts it with a link to where he got it, so you can get whatever theme it may be.

http://www.iconpaper.org is also good, they don't update too often, but if you find something you like, you can probably track it down on MacThemes to see if it's updated. Most themes from iOS 4.3 will work on 5.

Modmyi.com forums have a big section for themes, but just like MacThemes, you'll have to move through the garbage to get to something decent.

PunkRockTuba fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jan 6, 2012

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

BiteSMS is also another one of those apps that is essential. Especially the new update and how they've tied it into the new notification system. It is so much better than the default sms app.

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Feenix posted:

Does BiteSms currently integrate with Notifications & Notification Center?

Yes, it's kind of tricky. In the Quick Reply settings, I have for Alert Style to "Use Apple Settings" and for In Notification Center to "Open Quick Reply", then further down under Lock Screen I have "Auto Show Quick Reply" turned off.

You'll get the text message and it'll look like default for iOS 5, but when you swipe to open, the Quick Reply box will show up instead. Also, if you put the notification center down and tap the text message, that will open Quick Reply.

Side note: if you go into "more stuff" you can change the icon to the default messages icon and hide the messages app completely.

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Biodome posted:

Is SBSettings the one that lets you put the widgets in the notification center?

Yes, just go into Settings > Notifications and add SBSettings to the "In Notification Center" list.

Feenix posted:

What is it I want to do to get BiteSMS:

1) Working "Seamlessly" with my messages app.

2) Integrating into Notifications Center, etc...

In the Quick Reply settings, for Alert Style: "Use Apple Settings" and for In Notification Center: "Open Quick Reply", then further down under Lock Screen: "Auto Show Quick Reply" turned off.

You'll get the text message and it'll look like default for iOS 5, but when you swipe to open, the Quick Reply box will show up instead. Also, if you pull the notification center down and tap the text message, that will open Quick Reply.

Side note: if you go into "more stuff" you can change the icon to the default messages icon and hide the messages app completely.

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Feenix posted:

Beautiful Post. Thanks man. Last question... not that I care THAT much. Is there still any of that iMEssages stuff using Bite?

You're welcome. BiteSMS will work just like iMessage as far as sending iMessages. You may have to reboot your phone to get it to work though, it's a minor bug in the current version, but it works perfectly once it starts working.

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

I just installed an iOS 5 version of Suave HD, and it works perfectly, all icons either included or automatically suavified, except for jailbreak apps. My Cydia, BiteSMS, etc, apps all are the stock icon, and they have a Cydia.png/Cydia@2x.png in the theme icons/ folder. Anyone happen to be familiar with the solution to this?

If there is just an icons folder with a ton of images, make sure Summerboard mode is turned ON. If it is turned on and they are still screwed up, then they aren't named correctly and you'll have to go through the applications to figure out what the app is calling itself. (ex: Twittelator Neue is the name of an app I have, but the app name in the folder is called simply Twittelator, so I needed Twittelator.png and Twittelator@2x.png)

PunkRockTuba fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jan 22, 2012

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

jojoinnit posted:

BiteSMS on iOS4 used to let me open a missed text by tapping the missed text icon at the top of the screen, but this doesn't seem to work in OS5. Is it just me?

I remember this happening to me as well. I was reading around on their forums and the developer knows about it and I believe he said he is going to implement it into a later addition.

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Xenomorph posted:

Anyone know of any iOS 5+ fonts for BytaFont?

As far as I know, 100% of them are for iOS 4.x, and none of the screenshots for them show them on on iOS 5+ on a 4S.

Existing fonts are missing the Microphone key, the keyboard key, and some other language support introduced in 5.0. A *bunch* of fonts have come out since 5.0, but most are still 4.x fonts.

Edit: It seems the latest BytaFont just leaves the original keys instead of displaying a hosed up symbol...

I don't know if you have Springtomize 2, but you can change the font with it. It has some preloaded ones that will work.

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

status posted:

Which program was it that will kick an iPhone into DFU? I'm in an endless crash->respring->crash loop and my home button doesn't work.

Is it TinyUmbrella?

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Alfalfa posted:

I don't think so, because when I installed it, it pulled some super old images that my contacts hadn't used in forever.

Or if that is the case, how can I update my contacts.app images off Facebook? I can't find that setting anymore either.

There's an app called SmartSync. I think it's free in the app store right now, it sync's your contacts facebook pics really well.

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Xenomorph posted:

And more random bits. Apparently there may be a thousand different jailbreaks in the works for 5.1, including the possibility of some progress on the iPad 3. Maybe.

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/19383772351/ipad-3-fever

...annnnd the iPad 3 has been jailbroken!

Not only jailbroken, but an untethered jailbreak. Day 1.

http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak-ios-5.1-untethered-on-iphone-ipad-ipod-touch-by-i0n1c-video/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Feenix posted:

I broke down and bought a license for PDAnet. Works flawlessly. Just hope it hides the fact that I'm tethering as it claims it does.

I know if you enable the Level II security option, some webpages will actually load the mobile version. So it is definitely doing something.

• Locked thread