Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jenova Project
Aug 5, 2007

by Fistgrrl
/\/\/\ Is there a good way to update a jailbroken iPhone without losing stuff? Every time I do, I have to reinstall all my Cydia apps and tweaks. I have a Cydia app called APTBackup, but it doesn't reinstall everything, and sometimes all my apps disappear and i get several gigs of "Other" in iTunes. There's got to be an easier way to update.

The "Other" in iTunes are apps and app data that are in the proper directory, but are not recognized properly by your phone. I just delete the dupes in iFile, clears it right up. There is probably a better way and I would love to hear it, though.

I nominate iFile and Safari Download Manager to be put on the list in the OP, with those on your pone it's pretty much a pocket computer, iFile is pretty much Finder (Windows Explorer, if you're a Windows Goon) and Safari Download Manager has some great synergy. This is a lifesaver if you're not near a regular computer to use Cyberduck or whatever. You can open your downloads in VLC for iOS, another Cydia program. It pretty much removers the just about all the unjailbroken limitations Apple built in. VLC is free, iFile and Safari Download Manager have a discount if you buy them both.

iFile is another easy way besides SSHing into your phone to get all your application data you want to keep so it's not erased, like your Angry Birds saves. It's a .lua file.

Terminal from the base repositories on Cydia doesn't work properly, it's an older version. One of the, ahem, shadier repositories has an up do date version, if you'd prefer not SSH-ing the hell out of your phone and using the much easier Cydia interface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenova Project
Aug 5, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Knives and Hot Dust posted:

How do I install new themes into my ipod? (with winterboard i guess)

Winterboard with stuff dowloaded from Cydia is the easiest way to go, if you can't find a/the theme you want there even after adding some theme repositories, you could make your own. I'm sure someone else would be more help at that then I.

e:f,b

• Locked thread