Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I love it. Exactly what I was looking for in a battery management app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Regular use of phone with this new battery doctor, switching between inside and outside when needed, I finished my day with more than 50% charge when normally I'd be closer to 30. Sick.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Thirst Mutilator posted:

Is there a tweak that let's me hold down the shift button and hit backspace to delete whole words, like on Windows/OSX?

Hold finger down on word, click select, click backspace. I'd rather just hold down backspace.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

OptimusMatrix posted:

Is there an app that shows how much battery each app is using? My battery is draining about 10% per 45 minutes and I can't figure out if its a tweak or an app causing the drain.

Battery Doctor Pro shows you apps that draw a lot of power or something along those lines.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

randyest posted:

You want to battery manage an iPad? With that big honking battery?

No management needed and it helps give you some extra battery

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I usually message from the photos app but yeah, that's cool if you are already in the messages app.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

rikatix posted:

Out of curiostiy I ran this app to see what it would clear. loving 2 gigabytes of information. WTF?! Now I'm really curious what was deleted. Then again I have had the same backup on all my iPhones since the first one so maybe thats it.

It clearly tells you what it's deleting unless I'm missing what you're talking about.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

rikatix posted:

It is very vague, just a status bar progressing.... all it says is "applications" or "cache"

I thought you could click in on that and see specifically what's being deleted. Mine was broken up by app and such.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

goferchan posted:

Well, I hang out alone in the bar a lot during the day glued to my iPhone drinking a lot, but I also like to go outside and smoke cigarettes (wearing sunglasses, also glued to my phone) -- so yes, it's kind of necessary . I know a couple Android phones recently introduced a thing where it uses the camera to determine whether your eyeballs are focusing on the phone, to determine the brightness, and I was just thinking something similar might exist for a jail broken iPhone. Thanks in advance

This is the shittiest troll/gimmick. At least make it funny

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I love the Gmail app. Been using it for months now and no complaints. Only recently switched to Mailbox.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Bouchacha posted:

Is there a way I can have push and the ability to star (flag) messages if I'm using gmail?

Gmail app?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Just letting you guys know that after installing the Facebook chat bubbles and keeping it at regular settings, my phone got really hot and drained 20%. Turned it off and it's normal again.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Kingnothing posted:

http://modmyi.com/cydia/be.fllorent0d.autoprotect

It turns off your passcode when connected to whatever wifi you determine safe, and automatically turns it back on when you're not connected to it. It's different than what you're looking for but overall probably a safer/more secure version of what you want.

I loved this but it killed my battery.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

decypher posted:

Over in the Apps thread a poster mentioned a jailbreak tweak that gives the stock Camera.app separate controls for exposure and focus. Does anyone know what that is? Google wasn't very helpful.

It's like Camera+ or something?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I haven't skinned my phone in years but drat, FlatIcons.
E: W/ hiding icon labels.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Zeph posted:

drat, I'm really liking that FlatIcons theme. I'm almost always against theming (well, I'm against installing WinterBoard to be specific), because 99% of themes are garbage. FlatIcons is making me reconsider. Is there a way to use it without installing WinterBoard?

No, but I used to be like you too with the whole no theme/winter board but its seriously a nice and welcome change to the monotony of iOS 6 (sorry, I love it but it needs a facelift. I stare at it every day) and ill be happy to use it until a new version comes out from Apple.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

randyest posted:

How'd you get the square notification badge?

Also, is there a way to hide icon names on the first page only?

Square notification badge is in FlatIcon's install and can be turned on in Winterboard

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Sh4 posted:

To be fair the biggest flaw about iPhones is the jailbreak process, they should sell a dev edition at double the price, it'll sell huge amounts, bam instant profit.

Fragmentation - it'll never happen.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

xie posted:

I'm running 5.1.1 on my 4s and my phone desperately needs a reset, however the entire phone is 100% dependent on google voice integration through Phone GV Extension & SMS GV Extension, I don't even know the phone's "real" number.

Am I completely utterly SOL? My phone crashes multiple times per week, it hangs, needs fairly regular reboots, etc. I'd honestly like to get out of the jailbreak market altogether if possible, but I doubt I can replicate the functionality.

Slowly remove jail broken packages and then test the phone. Find out what's giving you hassles then leave it out.

Also run that I cleaner pro as its awesome. You shouldn't have to restore.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Good time to point out if you think your phone is hosed, use ILEX R.A.T to restore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON-P88spPNw

Who are you and where have you been all my life

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Grandmaster.flv posted:

so I restored from the backup and I still have 4 gigs of other. If I set up as a new phone will iCloud sync back all my text messages (the only really important part)?

iCloud non backup will not give your texts back.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Is there any reason why you cant just have the same SSID? That's what I have in my house and the phone doesn't have any problems switching automatically.

Can you explain this? I have a wifi repeater that makes a "network B" in my house. I hate switching between them.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Is this an all wireless setup (ie: your repeater connects to the wifi network and then repeats it?), or is the repeater hooked up to the router by cable?

If it's the first, then there's nothing to be done, sorry :/

If it's the latter, then just set your repeater network name to the same as your router's network.

First one. drat.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Funso Banjo posted:

Yeh, quite a few times. Similar results.

The splash of white that happens, she thinks, looks quite a bit like a ghosted version of the website she was viewing just as the crash occurred that led to this problem.

If it is an iPod problem, I just hope Apple don't flip their poo poo and refuse to fix it.

If its in warranty and its not accidental damage then it's a free fix. If out of warranty, well, most likely it'll cost.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Funso Banjo posted:

It's inwarranty time wise, but it was jailbroken before this problem, and that voids warranty. So if the attempted restore wiped that jailbreak poo poo, I am good. If not, and they decide to enforce the jailbreak voids warranty stuff, then I am out of luck. I'll try anyway, see where it goes. Certainly, there's nothing I can see that identifies it as jailbroken, perhaps some gadget they have at Apple may identify the jailbreak. Who knows.

If you can't see any jailbreak stuff then they can't either.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
You can tell them you used to jailbreak, but if you're having software issues and its still on there they will turn you away.

If you restore and the phone still doesn't work after a jailbreak they don't give a poo poo. They know restoring reverts the phone back.

Your backup might be hosed but whatever.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
That girl looks surprised to see you while shredding a guitar

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

dirtyfrog posted:

Pretty sure I'm happy to lose my jb and want to upgrade to 7. Is it as easy as applying the update through iTunes, or do I need to do anything beforehand to prepare for a return to non jb land?

I think restoring is the best method.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

I remember reading somewhere that jailbreaking is the best way to access all the files on the iphone so that you can clear out bloated files and reduce your "Other" space being used up. Since I can't jailbreak right now or probably in the near future considering whats going on, what are my best other options/what exactly keeps making "Other" grow. I know 700 of that is probably iOS 7 but man, within 2 months I have 300 extra space being used up.

If this is not where I should be asking this question, let me know and I will move it to the proper thread.

There's some program named PhoneClean or something that will erase a bunch of "other" poo poo on your phone. Someone here will know the name.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Bummey posted:

That's all well and good but if you use the apps with any regularity they'll just fill back up with poo poo.

What are you trying to get across?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

almighty posted:

Yes, but the :effort:. The idea that you can only run code Apple authorised and not having full control over a device you paid for is ridiculous. Unlike a game console, a smartphone is not very role specific and having the right to choose what to run on my phone is more appealing to me. A strict walled garden is a bum deal on a smartphone, owner of the device should be able to decide whether to stay in the walled garden or venture outside at their own will.

That's why Android is perfect in that manner. Don't want to stay in a walled garden? Allow non Google Play code and root your device.

Choice does matter.

Besides, screw Apple tax for developers.

Apple isn't for you then. If you're hardcore, sure, Android gives you more flex. To the common person? Android is deadly. Just look at the BBM debacle and try asking a regular Joe to download it. The App Store is a nightmare.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Word to the wise, get Android as Apple literally burns a hole in your pocket

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Yeah I'm not jail broken, but my phone never vibrates even with alarms.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

spongeworthy posted:

Many here will probably be interested in Flex (currently in Beta, but quite usable now) which allows anyone to make runtime patches to their jailbroken iDevice, or activate those submitted to the Flex cloud.

You can find it as "Flex 2 Beta" from the repository http://getdelta.co

Follow discussion, requests, and submissions here

One useful example if you need convinced of its ability

This sounds illegal

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Lancelot posted:

Is there a way to change the profiles that the silence switch toggles through? I want the ability to completely silence my phone for when I'm in meetings/at the movies or whatever.

Swipe up and dnd mode?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Kheldarn posted:

Is there a free tweak that will pull events from my calendar, and keep them on my lockscreen, even after I unlock?

I keep my work schedule, and list of times for the busses I need to catch to get hom on my calendar. Everything I've found so far won't keep it on my lockscreen after an unlock. It either removies it, or moves it to the notification center.

Not trying to be rude but why not just swipe down to get to notification centre?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

GoatSeeGuy posted:

You can turn off icloud backups in your icloud settings?

This is the right answer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Thirst Mutilator posted:

Run an full backup on your device, then a restore to a fresh 8.3 or whatever is the newest iOS now, then "revert" to the backup you created.

Jailbreak stuff can come over from a backup. It won't be 100% clean

• Locked thread