Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

NEVER

probably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Am I correct in assuming that iPhones from the Apple Store will have 4.3.5 loaded on them by default since it's been out a few weeks now? My home button only works half the time and only having a tethered jb will be annoying...

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm going to take my phone in ASAP and hope I get a 4.3.3 replacement. If not, it's not a terribly huge deal. I'm sure the dev teams are already looking into untethered exploits for 5.0.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Just swapped my phone at an Apple Store and got 4.3.5 :(

Oh well, tethered shouldn't be too terrible, and 5.0 shouldn't be too far away...

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Sep 3, 2011

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I'm getting error 3194 when trying to do a restore. I have jailbroken before and literally everything online says to delete the apple lines from your hosts file. I literally have an empty hosts file, fresh reboot, fresh installation of latest iTunes, but am still loving getting it. Is there anything else this error could possibly mean? I'm out of ideas here.

Tiny Umbrella doesn't work on either of my Win7x64 computers either (even though this would just modify the hosts file). It gets a NullPointer exception and dies when I try to load it up, even with the latest JREs from java.com.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Nope, not really sure what that is. I've only jailbroken my iPhone4 and my girlfriends iPhone 3GS before with the dev team tools. I've never actually downgraded my firmware either, so I never had a reason to edit my hosts file.

edit: Figured it out. Guess you have to be in DFU to restore. I was just trying to shift-click Restore before with no DFU. Oops.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Oct 5, 2011

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

For anyone with a Retina device updating to 5.0 GM, don't install Activator or anything that requires it, like SB Settings.

Apparently it's not completely compatible with 5.0 yet and you'll get some weird thing happening where all your apps will open up using only 1/4 of the screen, with not all of it being tappable either. I had to go into safe mode and uninstall Activator to get everything working again.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Any ideas on which app is used for iCloud backups, with respect to 3G Unrestrictor? I'm not too keen on it blasting 4GB of pictures/videos over 3G and would rather it wait til I'm actually on wifi.

My guess is Settings app?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Chemmy posted:

iCloud backups happen when the phone is on Wifi, locked and plugged in. So as long as you don't plug your phone into the wall nothing should happen.

Yes but I also enjoy charging phone from time to time.

My issue is to whether 3G Unrestrictor is allowing the backups to happen even if not on wifi if I already unrestrict, say iTunes (random example).

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

No one really knows.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Fozaldo posted:

I always use it to power off, I find holding down the power button annoying.

This and the respring button. I don't think there's any other way to respring, which is important if you're on a tethered jailbreak.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

HanabaL03 posted:

First time jailbreaker here. Just broke my iPhone 4 in. I've been reading a handful of pages on here, but what are the best themes I should try out?

100% of themes look like poo poo. Don't bother.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The icon wiggling when you move something is pretty good too.

Use it at a fast speed for a week, then move it back to normal. It's ridiculous how slow it seems.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Anyone ever experience issues updating App Store apps?

I've had this issue for quite some time now, but have just ignored it. Unfortunately now there's some updates I want, but I can't update any of my apps. The update process begins, but never finishes. It's like iPhone blue balls.

Initiating the app update process via the App Store or via iTunes makes no difference. The only way to get an update is to uninstall an app and re-install it.

This happens to my girlfriend on her 3GS running 4.2.something. Drives me nuts because every time I look at her phone, I see 35 updates available. Of course it drives her more nuts because she can't update Diner Dash.

Sometimes signing in and out of the AppStore works 24% of the time.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

jojoinnit posted:

My iPhone has started randomly restarting itself several times a day. I only have the usual tweaks installed like FakeCockUp and BiteSMS.

I did recently install CameraLocker, could that cause that sort of issue?

Mine's doing that a couple times a day as well. I recently installed CameraLocker.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Xenomorph posted:

For battery tracking, I just use the Notes app. Seriously.

I write down the date, my battery percentage, and Usage time. It's not a pretty chart or anything, but it could be if I import the data into another program.

Jesus Christ why? :psypop:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

jojoinnit posted:

If anyone else is having problems with random reboots, uninstalling CameraLocker cleared that up for me.

Same here. I haven't had any random reboots with it uninstalled.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Anyone use f.lux? I just installed it on my iPhone 4 and it doesn't seem to be doing anything. I notice no difference at night, even if I click the 1-hour disable on and off.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Is there a jailbreak tweak that will keep reminders in Notification Center unless I actually go check them as completed? Missing "reminders" is annoying because they disappear after the day of the event.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

CaptainCrunch posted:

Is there a fix for the home button problem? Last month or so, my home button (iphone 4 on 5.0.1) has become abysmally non responsive. I have to click it many, many times in order for it to respond.

I only have SBSettings, activator, tether me and GV voice/sms extensions installed. Some googling suggests it might be Activator's fault. Deactivating it under "more" in sbsettings gives some relief. Since display sb in the notification tray, leaving activator unused, I am thinking of just uninstalling activator to see if that solves it.

Because frankly I'm so annoyed by it I'm considering killing the jailbreak entirely... and I LOVE my GV extensions.

Make a Genius Bar appointment. They replaced my 4 no questions asked when I went in with the same issue.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Corbet posted:

I jailbroke my iPhone 4 on 5.1.1 and all my photos are gone. How do I go about fixing this issue? I use iCloud for backing up.

They should trickle in over time. I don't think it blasts them all at once. If they don't start showing up in a few hours, maybe try restoring again.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ok fine. Battery percentage then.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

iPad 3 jailbreak went smooth as silk, but when jailbreaking my iPhone 4 (06 build of iOS), Absinthe just hangs and Windows says it's not responding at lets me either kill it or kill it. Do I just need to let it run a while? The iPad jb completed in a couple minutes and I've let this sit for 15 or so.

Second question. If I do a Erase All Content and Settings, does it blow away the jailbreak, or does only restoring in iTunes do this?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ok, this has been bugging me from every update since 5.0.

Whenever I do an update/restore (from jb FW to stock), it spills my icons all over the place with the exception of 10-15 apps that I've had installed forever. After jailbreaking and installing Five Icon Dock, everything magically goes back to where I had it prior to updating. It's as if iCloud/iTunes backups don't store icon placement if you're jailbroken or something, and FID triggers something weird to put everything back to where I had it.

Has anyone else noticed this? It's pretty aggravating to see 9 pages of poo poo after updating.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Xenomorph posted:

This is how it has always been.

ANYTHING you install that messes with icon placement isn't compatible with iOS/iTunes' ways of managing icons.

Five Icon Dock
FolderEnhancer
Infinifolders
Gridlock
etc...

As long as you have that program loaded, things "look" fine, but behind the scenes icon placement is all kinds of hosed.

Well that sucks dicks.

Before 5.0, I was pretty good at remembering to uninstall Five Icon Dock before updating, so I don't think I had any problems. Now that I think about it, the past few updates I've forgotten to do this first, other than moving my 5th icon off the dock. I'm guessing this is why I'm only seeing it in the past year.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

HorseDickSandwich posted:

I've been trying to get that SiriPort (original) to accept my phone all day. Does it usually take forever? Because I'm about to be done with it.

Same here. It's been about 14 hours since I installed, talking to it every 15 minutes or so. I've even reinstalled the app and cert. I'm getting close to just saying gently caress it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

decypher posted:

On another note, did anyone catch the twitter conversation between @pod2g and @i0n1c this morning? i0n1c called out pod2g and the Absinthe crew. @i0n1c, "All I am saying is that Absinthe exploits allow to write malware that jumps from PC to iPhone when the user syncs. Previously not possible." I wonder if changing your root/mobile password protects you against this type of thing, or if the exploit is such that any code can be ran.

edit: @pod2g response, "To sum it up, Just don't plug your device to random USB plugs," and apparently, "setting a passcode [will] prevent pairing with untrusted computers." Yeah, but if your trusted computer is infected.....???

I love reading i0n1c's Twitter trolls. I don't know how he's involved with the scene, but from what he posts, he seems like he's really butthurt over something. When someone involved in the scene gives a logical response to one of his idiotic scenarios, he always responds with "oh well looks like I just said something that may affect chronic's paypal donations, uh oh!!!!"

He's such a big baby, but I can't stop reading them.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 1, 2012

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I got sick of dicking with Siri after 24 hours of telling her hi. Uninstalled it and she got her revenge by keeping me in a continuous boot loop. I had to DFU restore :(

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My springboard keeps crashing on my jailbroken iPad 3. All I have installed is NCSettings and Zephyr. Anyone else having this problem?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Reminder, if you have 5-icon Dock installed, or any JB app that changes how folders work, you're going to want to uninstall them all, THEN do your iCloud/iTunes backup before updating. If you don't, all your icons will be spilled all over the loving place when you're updated to iOS 6. I speak from experience :(

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Just unlocked my 5 for $13 via @chronic. Sweet!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

So if I install Five Icon Dock or Infinidock, it blows up my icons. Anything new I've installed since I bought my iPhone 5 is scattered all over the place. Is there any way to prevent this? Uninstalling either of those cleans up the icons.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

echobucket posted:

I haven't jailbroken since iOS 5.0 or so, I was wondering is there anything better than tetherme for just enabling native hotspot?

I still use TetherMe. Works great and I haven't been hassled by ATT yet. Then again, I only use it maybe once a month.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Christoff posted:

So do I have to download the invidiual .ispw or whatever or is that what iTunes will update me to?

Just update like normal in iTunes, then run the jailbreak.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Mobile facetime is only allowed on tiered data plans. Generally on grandfathered unlimited data plans (AT&T) you get this:

if you try to toggle Use Cellular Data on Settings-Facetime. Somehow my phone enabled it and I can now do mobile Facetime on an unlimited plan.

Do you have 3G Unrestrictor installed?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Correct. And if you have an iphone5 there is no downgrading period since SHSH blobs aren't enough.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I have a passcode lock set on my phone for 15 minutes, because typing it in every time is annoying.

Is there any tweak that exists that will let me manually passcode lock the phone with a different button press (double sleep press, whatever)?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Cawd Rud posted:

I think TapTapPass is what you are looking for.

This looks like it's about half of what I'm looking for.

It took me a bit to figure out. You apparently have to set your passcode to immediate (instead of my usual 15 minutes for instance) for it to work. It bypasses the passcode for a regular sleep button press, but will prompt you for one if you use your assigned Activator gesture.

Although, even if I do a regular sleep button press, I'd still like it to lock after 15 minutes. It doesn't look like it can do this.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Holy Christ way wrong thread. Go Red Wings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Anyone have any issues with TetherMe not making the Personal Hotspot menu not come up?

I installed it a while ago and it worked, then I didn't use it for a few months. I just tried using it today and for some reason, Personal Hotspot isn't showing up in my Settings anymore. It asks me to call att to set it up under the Cellular settings as well. I haven't installed any other Cydia apps since then and I've already tried to reinstall with no luck.

• Locked thread