Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
I managed to down grade from 5.1 down to 5.0.1. It was my first time downgrading and was simple enough. Reason for the upgrade in he first place was because spring flash caused he phone to go into a recovery loop that I could only fix by DFU restore/upgrading.

I had to "stitch" the correct SHSH blobs from my 5.0.1 to the new 5.1 (I think) and it downgraded to 5.0.1. Untethered ahoy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Install sbsettings and make your RAM capacity viewable in your top bar (where signal/wifi is).

If I'm not mistaken, the 4s should have around 540mb of ram with nothing running in the background (350mb for iPhone 4).

That way you'll know if there is a rogue programme eating up your CPU and killing your battery.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Awesome news! Got my iPad 3 on Thursday and I've been missing SBSettings and openssh like mad.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Plug in your 30pin connector and pry in down (to the internal bit is pushing up against the one button). Should get it working.

If not, turn on assistive touch in the normal apple settings!

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Very pleased with how simple the Jailbreak process was. Not that the DFU method for previous ones was difficult, but a one click jb is awesome.

Will be really good to have my New iPad set up how I like it to be.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
I've had the usual white icons after installing apps. Luckily it's just as easy to fix as on 5.0.1: respring from SBsettings.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

It's been a while since I jailbroke, is Backgrounder still the preferred method to keep apps alive in the background?

It's for the new iPad if that matters.

I had issues with it on the OG iPad on 5.0.1 so I haven't bothered trying it on the new iPad with 5.1.1.

Really bugs me when games/apps quit my music app, and backgrounder was one of the only ways I could get it to stay open.

If anyone knows the answer, let us both know!

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
I can't think of a single time id ever use Siri. You see people trying to use it on their 4s and having to repeat phrases over and over.

On an iPad I imagine it would be even less useful, as I don't carry my iPad with me 24/7 like I do my phone. And typing to me seems less cumbersome than trying to get an app to recognise a brittish accent, as dictation on the ipad3 is poo poo enough.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Installed BytaFont and am now using the Hatori Hanzo font.

<3

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
By updating to 5.1.1 you also updated your baseband because you didn't create a custom ipsw to preserve your baseband. There is no way to undo this. Your phone will only work with the original carrier that it is locked to. Sorry.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
You should have just left it as it was running unlocked and jail broken on 4.x. If it now isn't even recognising the original SIM you now have a rather shiny doorstop :(

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Plug your iPhone into iTunes and click 'restore'.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
I found my old 3GS in a drawer that has a broken home button. I intend to give it to my 10 year old little sister to play games on.

However it gets stuck in a constant recovery loop. RecBot hasnt fixed it, a DFU Restore through Redsn0w hasn't worked (tried 5.1.1 and 6) and a straight update/restore on iTunes hasn't work either.

I've even edited the apple host files which may have been causing the error.

Goons, please help!

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Put the apps inside of a folder and then delete them from there.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED

Blimpkin posted:

Quick question here: My power button has become sticky, seems like whatever connector was between the button and the board has slipped and now I have to press down quite hard to activate it. Needless to say, I was going to take it to the Apple store in the hopes that there is an easy fix (read: they replace it).

I've got it jail broken though, pretty sure that to have them even consider looking at it I'll have to do a system restore, correct? What steps do I need to take to back up and restore it if they replace/if they don't replace.

Plug your dock connector in and lightly press downwards on it. Is should push the contact assembly back up towards the home button making presses easier.

The reason this happens is because the contact points for the home button are part of the dock connector piece while the button itself floats above in the front panel. Knocks and general use move the dock connector down into the body over time.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED

Famine posted:

I just bought a ipad (4th) gen. Is there anyway to jailbreak it?

Search around google it seems theres no 'released' software that will jailbreak ipad3 or ipad4 and it seems the elite few that have coded their own jailbreaks arent sharing.

Anyone have any ideas?

My iPad 3 is running 5.1.1 jailbroken. Mine shipped with 5.1 and I jailbroke it as soon as it was possible.

I can imagine it being a little while (months) before the 4 is jailbroken as an untethered jailbreak for iOS 6 isn't even available yet on some older devices.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
If you have an ipad3 that shipped with 5.1.1 then consider yourself lucky. Get that bitch jailbroken before an accidental OTA update!

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
I've requested my iPhone 4 (5.1.1) to be unlocked. The guys in the store told me I'd have to 'restore' my phone via iTunes and once it's been restored I should get a message saying I'm now unlocked. If it makes any difference I'm on Vodafone UK.

Question is can I restore without updating?

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Have you disabled it with something like 'NoClock' through Cydia or disabled with a winter board theme?

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED

Daryl Surat posted:

Restore 5.1.1 back to 5.1.1

This is easily done. I had to restore my iPhone 4 to get my carrier unlock through iTunes.

The latest version of Redsn0w has the feature to restore without updating!

Edit: clarity

Hamburlgar fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 14, 2013

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED

Wario In Real Life posted:

There's no reasoning behind it. It's perfectly acceptable to do OTA updates. That's the reason they have freaking OTA updates.

You are an idiot. Don't give people advise if you have no clue what the gently caress you're talking about.

OTA updates are handled differently server side an have different unique signature than a normal iTunes update. This means that if you gently caress up or want to downgrade in the future you can't, even if you have blobs saved.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED

el_caballo posted:

Any must-have apps/tweaks for wifi-only iPads? Specifically for someone who is not interested in themes and stuff?

Seems like all the recommended lists are really for iPhones.

I jailbreaked for XBMC. I put flux on there to try out and I'll probably put on some sort of file manager (iFiles?). Any other utilities?

LowPowerBanner is essential when using video apps such as XBMC.

Another one that I like to pair with XBMC is iFile and iTransmission.

Some people have been enjoying Quasar for watching movies will browsing the web, but I'm not a fan.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Uhg, I have iOS update time.

Created backup and used AptBackup in Cydia to backup Cydia apps and updated to 6.1 via iTunes. Went into recovery mode and then a reboot loop twice. Then had to do a fresh restore/update to manage to update it. - that took a while. And to top it off AptBackup didn't wok and now I have to install all my tweaks from scratch :/

EDIT: That's not even the worst! Now I'm getting a "size mismatch" when trying to install Cyia apps.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
After updateing a re-jailbreaking my iPhone 4 to 6.1 and all the issues I had with iTunes I was hoping that my ipad 3 update would run a little smoother: nope. Still ran into constant iTunes errors and recovery loops. After pissing about for hours with recbot and TU I found an article indicating to delete the Apple host files and that fixed everything.

Everything I had before on 5.1.1 still works but I really miss Cydelete and AlwaysClose. Running the terminal scripts posted in the OP helped to make sure all my Cydia apps were (mostly) installed upon completion.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED

rikatix posted:

So Backgrounder just doesn't work, sends the phone to safe mode. Is there anything around that basically does the same thing as Backgrounder?

I have found that Backgrounder is the main tweak that I find difficult not having on 6.1.

I've searched around for a replacement but nothing comes close. What's worse is the the developer stopped updating the app back in the 4.x days. Miracle it even worked on 5.x

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
I've got AdBlocker buy Cydia and other sites are still littered with ads.

Back on 5.1.1 I edited some list and added loads of add URLs with the help of some guide and ALL ads were removed but I can't for the life of me remember how I did it :(

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED

I have been getting this since this morning. I've put permissions to read/write/execute but that still hasn't fixed this :(

Tried rebooting the phone as well to no avail.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
6.1.2 is the latest version and it is jail breakable. The Evasi0n team have said that 6.1.3 patches the jailbreak exploit - its in beta testing at the moment.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
6.1.3 has been in beta for at least the last week or two. If I was you I'd get that swap out done asap. A thing to note is that I recently got my ipad 3 swapped out 2 weeks back and it was given to me with 5.1.1. I'd be surprised if refurbs had 6.1.3 on them on a swap out.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Keep it on 6.0.1 and you'll be fine. The main differences between versions are slight security fixes on apples side. The Evasi0n jailbreak will still execute and work just fine!

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Yeah, try uninstalling activator and see if that fixes things. It's a funny app in it's coding as it seems to play havoc with some people's home/power buttons.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
From what I'm aware, and I might be wrong, but the i5 won't allow you to shift-restore even with saved blobs. If you want to jailbreak ten its best to stay in 6.1

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
That will be a day 1 buy for me! Good bye Activator and SBSettings!

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Damned awful app won't let me edit!

Velox will be $1.99!!

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
My mate was selling his brand new/sealed I5 as he was short on money and was planning to get a 2nd had I4 with it. I piped up and we did a nice little swaps. My I4 and £250 for his new I5 - well chuffed. Got it home and it came with 6.1.3 out of the box :(. It's something that I can live with, as I mainly used it for tweaks rather than key jb features. Oh well. Farewell evasion jailbreak, I hardly knew thee.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
I just recently got an iPhone 5 and it came with 6.1.3 out of the box.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
I thought if be the same but the only thing I really miss is SBSettings. And even then, I can live with out it.

I don't think I'd even use my iPad if I didn't have iTransmission, iFile and XBMC. I know, I know, :filez: and that, but that's what I use the iPad for.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
The Evasi0n team have already stated that they won't be looking into creating a jailbreak for 6.1.3 as one of their key software vulnerabilities was patched out. The remaining vulnerabilities aren't enough to get a jailbreak onto the device in a way the public can utilise, so they are saving it for the next main software release in the hope that it doesn't get patched out. Check out the Evasi0n website, they go into more detail there.

So yeah, if you're on 6.1.3 you're SOL. I'm in that boat, partly, as my iPhone 5 is on 6.1.3 while my iPad is still on 6.1.2.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
My friend had a dodgy sleep button on his non-jailbroken 5. From what he told me it was an early model fwiw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Happened to me a little while back. You have too many (cracked) Cydia repositories added. Delete one or two of them and It'l fix it ;)

• Locked thread