Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED

ihatepants posted:

There's also a new jailbreak tweak that was released, called Background Manager ($0.99), which does basically the same thing as Backgrounder used to do and allows true multi-tasking on iOS 6.x. So if anyone missed having Backgrounder on their iOS 6.x devices, we finally have another option.

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2013/05/26/background-manager/

I bought it as soon as it came out. It works as advertised. Paired up with insomnia it's amazing. Main difference is you can't assign activator to turn it on/off - you can only assign it on a per app basis. For $0.99 is more than happy, would have paid $5 for the same tweak!!

Hamburlgar fucked around with this message at 12:44 on May 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Back on 5.X.X days Backgrounder was the only thing that let me listen to music in Apps that force quit the music app. Give 'Background Manager' a go by forcing music to always stay in background.

Play music, switch to KOTOR, switch back to music and press play, switch back to KOTOR. That was the sequence with Backgrounder back in the day.

I don't have any music on my jailbroken iPad to test this out with, but let me know if it works.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
To be truthful though, that's a good thing. It's acknowledging that's iOS has been missing a few things and that Apple are willing to rectify this. It's still a hell of a long way from having real root access to the OS, but if I can change brightness from anywhere on my phone without needing to Jailbreak then I'm happy.

I wonder if any of the Tweak developers have been credited. Kind of funny how Apple has been fighting Samsung over patent claims for the last forever, yet happily copys other people's apps/implementations.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Unlikely. My iPhone 5 came with 6.1.3 out of the box. I'd imagine most iPads are the same now.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
I think the app 'resupported' fixes this, I could be wrong though.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
xCon and/or xCon Alias.

The thing to note though is that for some apps you need the older version on xCon for the get around to work.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Again, who?

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
I was going to post a response to that guy but realised it was a troll. A very easy troll at that.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
With the introduction of control-centre, and the almost nonexistence of a JB on newer devices, I can see why a lot of people have moved away from jail breaking.

For me and my iPad, I'll still have it jailbroken, but I'm not too fussed in my phone and I imagine it's the same situation for others.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
I had no idea that this was even possible. Having iTransmission on my i5 is the best thing ever. How long has this been a thing?

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
You're stuck on ios 5 matey, and I wouldn't hold your breath for an ios 7 jailbreak anytime soon.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Apple is only signing 7 onwards. There would be no way to remove a JB from 6 and then re JB.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Background Manager to keep apps running in background and Insomnia to keep them going while locked.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
This will likely mean that 7.1 will patch the exploit when it's released.

Time to update and Jailbreak my iPad 3 that's still on 6.1.2

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Or rather don't set your language to Chinese when installing the jailbreak?

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
So glad I was at work today, would have updated/jailbroken as soon as it hit.

Looks like I'll be staying put until a 'clean' jailbreak is released.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Paying $100,000-$1,000,000 is a small sum for possibly millions of App Store passwords/credit card details if the hidden software is a sniffer app.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Well apparently the evasi0n programme connects to a Costa Rican IP without user interaction. You can't run the jailbreak installer if that IP is blocked.

How deep does the rabbit hole go?

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
For those that need more info, Reddit (I know...) has a very detailed discussion going with twitter posts/screenshots and other going on.

http://www.reddit.com/r/jailbreak/comments/1tgoce/official_chinese_version_of_evasi0n_comes_bundled/

Turns out a company called '360' is the one that partnered with evasion. 360 is apparently a big security firm over in China much like Norton or McCafe.

The evasion installer communicates with the 360 servers during the initial jailbreak if what the redditors are saying is true.

Will be interesting to see what this develops into. One thing is for sure, I'm loving glad that I didn't update or jailbreak anything. For those of you that did, it may be a good idea to change all your passwords on your computers and iPhones.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
I don't think you need to reset anything. I made a backup and updated through iTunes before jailbreaking.

Not to just do the same with my iPad.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
P much this ^^^

But yeah, very slick. Really loving f.lux in my 5. Also extremely surprised that XBMC Wizard Hub works on ios7 this early into the Jailbreak life. Now for Rpetri to release his Control Centre tweak and all will be good in the world :).

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Do you have Bootstrap installed? Try installing it if you don't, it helps to keep tweaks accessible from settings.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED

Bouchacha posted:

What's the fix that keeps inactive apps in memory instead of the limited 10-15 minutes window?

Background Manager. That paired with Insomnia will let those apps run with your screen locked.

Not on Ios7 yet though :(

Hamburlgar fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 27, 2013

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
I really don't get why you guys are holding back? Even as 5s owners you can have it jailbroken and ready for when MobileSubstrate starts working properly.

For those if you with the 5 that are having MobileSubstrate issues, install 'BootStrap'. Will fix all your issues ;)

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
The main reason I updated my ipad 33 from 6.1.2 to 7.0.4 is because the App Store isn't a buggy piece of poo poo on ios 7. Aside from that, it looks a lot slicker as has a 'half' SBSettings style Control Centre built into the OS.

But yeah, update it to get the App Store in a useable state.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
^^^ Pretty much this as well.

There is no knowing A) How long It'l be before Apple patch the exploit and B) how long they'll still be signing ios 7.0.4

Update and jailbreak while you can folks!

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Haha, wow. The 6.1.X Jailbreak that iH8Sn0w and Winocn just released burned an extremely valuable exploit that has been around for years. It is an exploit that gave root access to any ios device with a dev account via a time zone bug. Ios hackers have been keeping hold of this exploit for years and using other software bugs in the Jailbreak apps to inject their code. They had access to these other less valuable exploits to use, but for some unknown reason these decided to use this one. Now that this has been openly released, it's expected that Apple will patch this in either 7.1 or 7.1.X, meaning Jailbreaking any future ios release will take a hell of a lot longer than what we have already been waiting for the latest Jailbreaks, if they can be exploited at all.

TLDR: Update to 7.0.4 and Jailbreak asap basically and expect it to be the last Jailbreak for a long time.

Hamburlgar fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 30, 2013

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Sauria tweeted that even though Substrate is no working with the x64 architecture, individual tweaks will need to be compiled for the A7 devices for them to run. Don't expect any tweaks to work straight away, it just allows the devs to start updating their tweaks.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
And to top it off, iH8sn0w has posted their source code on their website...

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Don't get me wrong, I'm well aware that Apple can and do go through the jailbreak softwares that are released to patch the bugs/exploits, but actually giving them the source code to most important bug in regards to any future jailbreaking development is a totally different matter.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED

shootforit posted:

Care to post a screenshot of this? I'm interested in doing this.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
For those that want to look flash, a way to have animated wallpaper/lockscreen.

http://www.reddit.com/r/iOSthemes/comments/1udf8l/my_animated_lockscreen/

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
^^^ Yup.

Backup, restore/update via iTunes, Jailbreak, restore from backup, enjoy.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Pair that with Insomnia and those apps will run while your device is locked. Great for 3rd party music apps and torrent clients.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Install XBMC and watch films using that. It allows you to go way above 100%.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
NoAnnoyance

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
StatusModifier aloes to you mess around with the status bar. But some spaces in front of the time to move it to the right.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
NoLowPowerAlert (?) removes them. NoAnoyance didn't get rid of them for me, even though it's supposed to.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Just had a weird issue and it's really annoying me.

Installed afc2add and updated Activator and Showcase and now many of my Jailbreak apps have been disabled/removed from Settings.

I've since removed afc2add, activator and showcase to see if it fixes anything but it's still unchanged. Removing/reinstalling apps isn't making them reappear and neither is respringing/rebooting.

Cydia is still installed and working and so is iFile.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong or how to rectify this?

E: Reinstalling Substrate Safe Mode hasn't worked either.

E2: Reinstalling Cydia Substrate sorted it. Weird though, as I've never had this happen before.

Hamburlgar fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Mar 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
You need to install Insomnia along with Backgrounder.

• Locked thread