Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Idownloadblog also showed a way to get this running on a Mac as that version of the Pangu tool isn't released yet. I'll have to do get that done myself later on today incase 7.1.2 patches this exploit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
If you are using a VM to run Windows for Pangu, be sure to enable USB 2.0 otherwise iTunes/Pangu won't be able to see your idevice.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Someone posted a page back or so that a semi restore using iLexRat prompted the carrier unlock to take effect.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED

Mr Hands Colon posted:

Does anyone remember the name of the tweak that let your music/streaming app play in the background when you are playing a game (or something else that overrides music/streaming apps). For example, I want to be able to listen to TuneIn Radio while playing SSG2 but SSG2 will stop the stream and the game audio takes over.

BackgroundManager should sort that issue for you, as should Flex 2 Beta as long as someone has created a patch for it.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Update and Jailbreak went seamlessly and am liking the upgrade. However, I too am finding the battery drain a little odd. DetailedBatteryUsage shows both accountsd and cloudd to be the main culprits on my I5. My ipad3 seems unchanged in UI speed and battery usage.

Really looking forward to Safari Download Manager and Backgrounder to start working again.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED

ibntumart posted:

Is there something like Switchspring for iOS 8? And is Apple still signing 8.1? I'm still not sure I'm subjecting my 3rd gen iPad to an update, but I guess I might not have the option anymore anyway.

I updated my iPad 3 to 8.1 just for the new jailbreak and it's been doing just fine. I was worried it would really suffer from slowdowns but I personally haven't noticed any real difference from before.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
I'm much the same. My i5 still runs like the day I got it even with ios8.1 on it. I don't do much in it other than light browsing and some txting. Maybe music if I'm commuting to work.
Can't justify the price of a new phone that I wouldn't see the benefit of other than a bigger screen. I use my iPad for that anyway.

But I totally see how someone with an iPhone 4 would be itching to upgrade.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
How much cheaper would it be? Because as far as I'm aware, you can't unlock an i5s/6 yourself. You have to go either to the telecom provider or pay a 3rd party to do it for you (eBay).

If Japan is anything like here in the UK, they will probably require you to have paid at least half of your contract term before they unlock your phone for you. In regards to the eBay services, I hear they work but can't personally vouch for them as I've never used them. I've also heard they charge silly amounts to unlock the newer models. Might be worth seeing if they offer unlocks for the Japanese carriers as well before a purchase.

In terms of jailbreaking, it is just as easy to jailbreak an i5 as an i6/6+. The newest software 8.1.2 is jailbreakable and is unteathered meaning it persists after a reboot.

Good luck :)

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Hopefully someone here can help because Reddit was fairly useless in its reply.

On both ASUpdatehider and ReachApp I get 'There was an error loading the preference bundle for XXX' in the settings. ReachApp still works but for ASUpdatehider, the 1 app I don't want to update is now showing in the AppStore!

I've tried deleting and reinstalling both apps but no dice. iPhone 5, iOS 8.1.2 if it makes any difference.

Anything good goons?

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
There is a custom iOS 5 ipsw called grayd00r which brings new version features to the ipad1 and can allow new app versions to run as well.

I've not used this but have seen it mentioned a lot over at r/jailbreak.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
I downloaded AppCake to download the older version of Facebook that FBNoNeedMessenger still worked with. You can download an even older one for chatheads or whatever it was.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Also did the same, TaiG 2.1.3 on my 6+, 5 and my sisters Ipad 4.

It took forever to get the Virtual Machine to cooperate properly and get things installed, but once it decided play it was plain sailing.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
For some reason allowing file sharing between OS X and the VM as well as downloading the Apple Drivers.

What errors are you getting?

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
8.4 released an is already jailbreakable with PP jailbreak. However it's probably best to wait until the updated TaiG tool, as the PP team stole the code that TaiG will be using for the JB.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
While you have the window of opportunity, there really is no good reason to not upgrade. You get a few security/stability updates and besides, who knows then the next jailbreak might be?

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
I don't see why you wouldn't be able to update in iTunes on Mac and then JB on Windows VM. That's how I jail broke 8.3

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Strange, my battery was dumping like hell, plugged it in to charge and everything is sorted again. Must have just been playing up on its first cycle on 8.4.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
TaiG 2.3 has released, so it you haven't already jaikbroken, use that as it fixed the bug in the exploit.

If you've already jailbroken, the new TaiG Untether should show as an instal within Cydia. Update and enjoy!

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
"Watchdog" has just been released in beta mode. It allows apps to run in the background, similar to Backgrounder and Background Manager in the iOS 6/7 days.

I'm still playing around with it but it seems to work just fine. All you need to do is tap on the app in the task switcher to de/active.

Repo: http://allankerr.github.io/repo/

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
There is a recovery fix software that was bundled into one of the old jailbreak tools. The name escapes me, but you'll be able to find it in Google or something.

OTA should still be good for a Jailbreak, just make sure you back you're phone up before hand, just in case.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Yeah, Facebook++ is what I'm using. Has a few (seemingly) random crashes, but at least I can send messages through it.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Nospot I think

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
I've tried looking on the R/Jailbreak page but that site is such a clusterfuck so I'll ask here.

Is the 9.0.2 jailbreak stable enough to warrant upgrading from 8.4? I'm on a 6+ and everything is working as I want it without issues.

I know that there was a "bootloop of death" when it first released but I can't seem to find if its still an issue or not.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
I didn't bother updating as everything is running so smoothly on my 6+ on 8.4 that I didn't feel the need to.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Still on 8.4 on my 6+. I'll be sticking with it until a Jaikbreaknis released for a singable version.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
I'm still on 8.4 on my 6+. It's really tempting to update but I'm also super happy with how stable my phone is in its current state.

Is it worth the jump/risk?

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Don't do anything until something is released.

If you're currently in 9.3 and jail broken, stay as is. The kids on Reddit just love to get hyped up.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
With the stability of 9.3.3, I'm not even fussed about the potential 10 jailbreak, especially how it's in experimental stages.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
I'm going to skip it this time around. 9.3.3 is so stable on my 6+ and iPad Pro that I really don't want to chance anything.

I also don't use any new or wonderful apps or anything like that either, so I'm not too fussed.

My wife's iPhone is on ios10 and it seems so foreign to me that it just puts me off entirely.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
I saved blobs for 10.2 for both my 6+ and iPad Pro. Not sure if I'll JB even when Promethius comes out, but worth doing just incase.

9.3.3 has been running without any issues what so ever, it's not worth risking that for me. I don't have the time or effort any more to have things mess up for me.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Thank you for the reminder! iClesner just freed up 9gig on my phone!

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
That's my worry as well. 9.3.3 is super stable on my ipad pro and iphone 6 and didnt update to 10.2.1 and i don't really want to risk 10.3.1 as im super happy with the current tweaks and how stable everything is.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
I'm pretty close to leaving Jailbreaking myself and updating my 12.9 and 6+ from 9.3.3 to 11.

The only thing I really use is adblocking, but I have Pi-Hole on my network and apparently IOS can do this now and Flex to remove ads from the Uk All4 app.

Having Kodi on my ipad permanently and not having to use Cydia Impactor every 7 days is also a plus. But other than that, I'm sort of scratching my head as to why I'm still jailbroken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
The latest firmware with a jailbreak currently is 11.3.1

One of the Jailbreak developers has found exploits in ios12 that could lead to a potential jailbreak, but it also could mean nothing.

• Locked thread