Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

CoasterMaster posted:

Mobile terminal crashes for me on my iPhone 4. Although I already have iSSH installed so I suppose I can ssh to localhost and do it...

Or just ssh into the remote server and use the iphone as the source.

code:
scp root@iphoneipaddress:/path/to/file /local/path

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

CoasterMaster posted:

The problem with that is that my iPhone won't necessarily be on the same network as the server (and I don't think you can get to your iPhone's SSH server when you're on 3G only).

Ah. Fair enough.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

Altoid posted:

Is there any way to make it so I can go into airplane mode and still keep GPS on? I will be traveling overseas to Europe in a few weeks. Last time I kept my phone on airplane mode and used it as a wifi device only the entire trip.

But, this time I purchased the app CityMaps 2Go, which uses GPS to navigate their maps. Dev's website says to turn off Data Roaming and not go into airplane mode. But, won't I still get texts messages? I have unlimited on AT&T, but I think I still get hit with fees overseas?

I get a lot of text messages and I don't want to get hit with international fees. I'm trying to warn people not to text me but I'm sure I'll still get some.

With AT&T receiving texts while travelling internationally only counts against your quota (unlimited). I've never been charged for receiving. It's terribly expensive to send though.

Basically, just disable international data roaming in the settings and you should be good to go.

EDIT: http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/roaming/international-roaming.jsp

AT&T posted:

Home pay-per-use or package rates apply to all text, picture, or video messages received when roaming internationally. See your Rate Plan Brochure for details.

Modern Pragmatist fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jun 8, 2011

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

Altoid posted:

Oh that's awesome news. I can just use google voice to send back to them then. Sounds like disable data roaming (which is already off) and I'm pretty much good? It won't get new email until I hit wifi right?

Cool, one less thing to worry about. I didn't want to have to call and cancle and miss any important texts.

This is exactly what I do when travelling internationally. Receive over air, send when convenient via Google Voice. Disabling data roaming disables web access from any app including mail.

Also, calling over wifi using Talkaton + GV is very useful.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

Altoid posted:

Downloading talkaton. It's free to use overseas with GV to call US people if I'm on wifi? That's pretty awesome. I may not need to make any phone calls back to the US but I might as well get this just in case I do.

Yes. As far as GV is concerned it is a domestic->domestic phone call.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

dorkimoe posted:

The only reason I want to jailbreak my iPad 2 is because someone said there was a location spoofer so I could watch the blacked out MLB games. Is this true? :)

You could also just set an HTTP proxy if you are using wifi.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

dorkimoe posted:

You have to buy something dont you?

In Settings, hit the blue arrow to the right of your wireless network and scroll to the bottom where you see the proxy settings.

I used to use free .edu proxies from here but I'm not sure of the current status of that project. Basically you just have to use a proxy on the other side of the country.

Modern Pragmatist fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 6, 2011

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

EC posted:

My father in law wants to jailbreak his ATV2 and install XBMC. Are these still the correct instructions? Seems pretty straightforward.

I would recommend Seas0npass and the XBMC installation directions here.

Also, the AppleTV thread is more useful for ATV2 jailbreak questions.

EC posted:

To answer my own question, this in fact worked, although some of the stuff doesn't seem to apply. I managed to install XBMC and get that working, and performance was ok at best. Definitely worth it for a second bedroom, but I'm not sure I could stand it as a full time HTPC.

Are you running the latest nightlies?

Modern Pragmatist fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jul 8, 2011

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

Chemmy posted:

I know what Semitether does, but what are the limitations? If I install it and reboot does my phone work normally I just can't use JB stuff?

Everything works except Mail. There was a bug where you couldn't use Safari, but I believe this is patched in the latest update.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

ReidStylez posted:

Do you have to reboot or respring after installing semi tethered?

You can run the semi-tether app itself after installing and it will tell you the current reboot status. I don't believe that it requires a reboot to be active, but checking that status will tell you for sure.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

Doctor Party posted:

I am having trouble jail breaking my apple tv 2, anyone have any advice?

I am using this tutorial: http://www.appletvhacks.net/2012/06/06/how-to-jailbreak-apple-tv-2-5-0-2-ios-5-1-1-using-seas0npass-untethered/

Everything seems to be working great then at the end itunes gives me an error and says that my device was not able to be restored.

I updated itunes and my apple tv.

Thanks for your input.

Am I understanding correctly that I unconnect my appletv from everything, power, hdmi and ethernet then when suggested to do so plug it in to the microusb cable?

So while jailbreaking the only thing connected to my appletv will be the microusb cable?

What's the actual error code that you are getting? Have you tried another computer or another micro USB cable?

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

Doctor Party posted:

Ok so after some retrying and restarting the computer it magically worked.

As someone really new to jail breaking I have some questions though.

I see a lot of add-ons for xbmx but I am not sure what the point of any of them is. The descriptions online all seem to be very vague or use jargon I am not familiar with.

An example is the ice films add on. It is ranked the number one add-on on some web site but no where does it describe what the hell the thing does.

My main question is, what can I do with my jail broken apple tv besides playing anything on my computer wirelessly on my tv? That's huge and totally worth it, however I suspect there is a lot more to be done with it and I just have no idea what that is.

Thanks in advance.

At least for XBMC add-ons, the most information used to be provided on the xbmc forums themselves. For example here is the page for the icefilms plugin. However, it looks like they have migrated add-ons over to https://www.xbmchub.com. In short, Icefilms is a site that has a ton of links to TV shows and movies hosted on various hosting sites. The plugin allows you to search and watch any of them.

All other Apple TV questions, I would take to the Apple TV Thread.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008
So it seems that Poof is kind of broken (hidden apps can't be searched for). I previously used it to hide all apps from the home screen and then just searched to launch. Are there any other apps that may help to clear off my home screen?

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

spongeworthy posted:

LockInfo 5 is much better now with this "Consolidated" layout option in the beta.

I've seen this mentioned several times. What is the repo to use for the beta?

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008
So there is a new icon in the bar at the top of my screen that looks like the Notifications icon. Is there an easy way to hide this? I don't remember it being there pre-jailbreak.

Installed apps: BiteSMS, LockInfo (beta), SBSettings

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

GoodCleanFun posted:

Look under the Status Bar header in Settings -> LockInfo

I swear I looked through the lockinfo settings a million times. The settings seem pretty disorganized. Thanks a ton!

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008
Does anyone know how to get rid of "Tap To Tweet" in LockInfo? All the solutions online say "sign out of twitter". Also the widget toggle in LockInfo for the twitter widget doesn't seem to have any effect.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

Blimpkin posted:

Is that still controlled in the stock Settings.app?

E: I'm dumb and thought you meant the notification Center not lockinfo

Oh ok figured it out. It was actually in the stock settings. For some reason there's a separate "Share widget" that I had to disable. Not sure why that's not accessible from the twitter/facebook settings...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

spongeworthy posted:

MyVibe does this but it's not updated for iOS 7 yet afaik.

Works fine on my iphone5 on ios 7.

• Locked thread