Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

Mr Crumbbley posted:

Hey I just jailbroke my iPod touch 4g.

I was wondering if there were any good sites out there that let you see all the different apps and themes in Cydia. Because trying to look at everything through the iPod Cydia browser is really annoying.

This might be what you are looking for:

http://planet-iphones.com/cydia/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

Solly posted:

No I don't have any YouTube or browser modifiers installed.

Speaking of this, are there any apps to allow YouTube to play in the background if I'm using any other app?

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

maduin posted:

Tethering uses the phone's 3G connection. The best thing for you to do would be to buy a repeater or something to extend your WiFi's range.

This. Just get two Linksys routers that you can replace the firmware with DD WRT and make the secondary router into a repeater. You won't get as fast of a connection off the second router but it's an easy way to make one.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
Not sure if this is JB related but I wanted to ask this here first before I go to the general iPhone forum:

Okay, so on Saturday I went into the app store on my iP4 and saw that there was an update for one of my apps. When I went to update the app, naturally my login screen appeared and asked my to enter my password as usual. After a few attempts of entering my correct password, the "too many unsuccessful login attempts" showed up so I went ahead and changed it to a new password. Again, no luck. However, I then looked at my apple ID and it was changed to an ID that wasn't mine. It was actually my neighbor's apple ID, but there is literally no way that he could have gone in to my phone over the past few days and logged me out and login himself in. He isn't JB'ed (I am on 4.3.3) and this was a really weird occurrence. So my question is, does anyone have any experience with this and how the hell could it have even happened in the first place?

Also, just noticed on Sunday that my CC was charged $1.00 on Saturday as well, however I haven't purchased any apps/songs in a long time. I emailed customer support for this and am awaiting a response.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

Ridonkulous posted:

Have you synced your phone on his computer or his on your recently.
OR has he logged into his iTunes on you computer or vice versa.

Me and my wife have a similar problem when we share a computer to sync phones on.

Come to think of it, I did plug my device into his laptop but iTunes was not open for it to sync (I did this because I had some videos I recorded of him in this ceremony last week and they were too large to email/MMS). Would that even be possible if iTunes was not even running? Also no he hasn't logged into iTunes on my machine logged into his iTunes, he's never even touched my phone or laptop.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
Hey guys,

Two questions: what's a good app to allow a streaming app like Pocket Tunes to run in the back while I use the phone to play a game? For instance, I want to listen to Pocket Tunes or the Sirius app while playing a game that takes over the audio on the device (it happens with games like Flick Fishing). I tried to use Backgrounder but that didn't work (unless I'm doing something wrong).

Also, have anyone tried out the Lion Ultimate theme yet?

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
But it'll have electrolytes, it's what iPhones crave.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

Arrowsmith posted:

NoLockScreen :colbert:

Never knew this existed. Just installed.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
So this has happened a few times on my iPhone 4 running 4.3.3 JB in the past, and I just took a screen of it today. Has anyone ever had this show up on their device? Granted, the iTunes/Stocks/Messages icons I can understand as they were set to be hidden but those others (AdSheet/FieldTest/IntelliContainer/iOS Diagnostics)...what is this all about?

edit: just an FYI, I have no hacked apps or anything installed on the phone. My google searches for this keep sending me to random non-US sites that are no use to me as they are not in English.

Mr Hands Colon fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Nov 13, 2011

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
Is there any sort of app that can restore game data? I accidentally deleted 9 innings 2011 (baseball game) from my device last night. Not the biggest loss in my world, but I was curious as to if there was anything on Cydia that could get my game history back.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
Does anyone know of a JB app that will override audio while playing a game? Example: I want to listen to the radio via Pocket Tunes, but if I open a game, it shuts down Pocket Tunes and the game background audio takes over.

Edit: this doesn't happen with all games.

Mr Hands Colon fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Dec 2, 2011

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
Can someone help me out here, I'm not quite sure how to go about this. I'm on a iPhone 4 JB on 4.3.3 and I want to go back to stock 4.3.3 and then re-JB the phone. How the hell do I go about this process? I do have my SHSHs for this version.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
Goon help needed. I just tried to upgrade from 4.3.3 to 5.0.1 so I could JB. However while trying to restore and upgrade, I get the error 21 and then the phone is stuck in recovery mode. Once I try to connect to iTunes again, I am told I have to restore first before I can upgrade so I then try to restore. Same thing happens then, the error 21 box pops up. What am I doing wrong?

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

Nill posted:

Are you using a custom restore file? Have you tried DFU mode?

Sorry to mention that, no I am not using a custom restore file and I have tried DFU mode. Neither are working.

edit: I forgot that I did have a copy of 4.3.3 ipsw saved, so I'm doing the shift click to restore back to that and it seems to be working. However, what the hell can I do to avoid this next time?

edit 2: Same issue with the custom 4.3.3 ipsw, now I'm getting error 1.

edit 3: After researching, only thing I could think of was that running on iTunes 10.5 was the issue so I downgraded to 10.3 and tried again to restore with an official 4.3.3 ipsw and still nothing. Does anyone have any advice?

Mr Hands Colon fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 28, 2011

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
Well it appears that I messed up while trying to upgrade to 5.0.1 so I can JB, and now I'm stuck in Recovery Loop.

Has anyone here had any success with iREB, I just want to get back to 4.3.3 now. I tried to check out redsn0w but as soon as I connect my device to my PC, I immediately get the Connect to iTunes screen. I have my shsh backed up and an official 4.3.3 ipsw. Thanks for the help guys.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

nadav posted:

I'm in the same situation. Tried with the stock IPSW and a custom one.

Well I just gave up on upgrading to 5.0.1. I downloaded fixrecovery43.zip which also contained zlib1.dll. Then I opened iTunes, plugged in the phone (was still in connect to iTunes mode) and turned on fixrecovery. I then held down power and home for 10 seconds, which threw it into DFU mode and let the code run. After that, I just went back into iTunes and was able to restore back to 4.3.3. What a pain in my rear end and a waste of 4 hours.

As for what caused the issue in the first place, I have no idea. I merely tried to upgrade to 5.0.1 and planned on JB'ing after that.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
Is Cidya (Bigboss especially) still getting slammed? I had to restore to 4.3.3 last night and used jailbreakme.com for my JB, everything seemed to go okay with that. I haven't added any other repos and I have had no luck trying to install SBSettings, I keep getting a internal time out error when trying to install. Also, Cydia keeps trying to update itself and I keep getting this error when the install takes place. Is there something I did wrong?

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
Has anyone had this issue with SBSettings: I re JB'ed my iphone 4 with 4.3.3 firmware and installed SBSettings. I configured it to how I used to have it, but it just. doesn't. work. I can't swipe at the top of the screen and make the menu drop down (and if I try to swipe twice, the phone reboots). And when SBSetting installs, Activator comes with it. However, if I try to open Activator, I am always told that I am in Safe Mode and need to restart. Anybody have any suggestions?

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

nerdrum posted:

Okay, this poo poo is absolutely ridiculous, Tinyumbrella has cydia hosts unchecked, I have to force it into DFU / recovery mode to get it to boot and once it's up and running, I try to restore factory defaults and I get error 21. I've never ever had this many issues with a jailbreak before. How can I just get this poo poo back to stock? I can't even restore it to factory defaults from the iphone itself, it just hangs and goes into an infinite bootloop.

It sounds like you are in recovery mode, not DFU mode. This happened to me a few days ago, I posted what I did to get back to 4.3.3:

I downloaded fixrecovery43.zip which also contained zlib1.dll. Then I opened iTunes, plugged in the phone (was still in connect to iTunes mode) and turned on fixrecovery. I then held down power and home for 10 seconds, which threw it into DFU mode and let the code run. After that, I just went back into iTunes and was able to restore back to 4.3.3. What a pain in my rear end and a waste of 4 hours. I also thought that the version of iTunes I was originally using was too new, so I deleted it and did a fresh install of an older version (10.3 I think).

Also, do you have a version of the ipsw saved for the restore?

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
Doesn't fakeclockup cause some battery drain issues?

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
Can anyone tell me how to hide Newsstand? It doesn't show up in SBSettings for me to have the option to hide. iPhone 4 running 5.0.1.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

Deadpool posted:

NoNewIsGoodNews in Cydia.

Thank you sir, worked like a charm.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
Anyone having issues with SwipeToMoveCursor all of a sudden? It just seems to have just stopped working today. On 5.0.1.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

obi_ant posted:

Is there a way to hide that crappy Newsstand into another folder??

Install "NoNewsIsGoodNews" from Cydia to hide that app.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

obi_ant posted:

Thanks!

Just paying it forward, another goon told me trick this several pages back.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

gypsyshred posted:

Basically in that area ATT is a total black out. Which I find weird for a major carrier in a semi major city in 2012.

Don't feel bad, I am in Kirkland WA which is just over the lake from Seattle and my data speeds/call drop issues are just terrible. Whenever I go back to Chicago I never experience anything like this. There are times where I have to shut off 3G just so I can receive calls at my condo.

Edit: even better proof is that I was only able to post this because I am at my neighbors condo who just so happens to have an AT&T microcell router. Seriously, Seattle? I would expect better.

Mr Hands Colon fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Feb 1, 2012

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

obi_ant posted:

I can't seem to find it in Cydia? Is there another source?

Try adding the Moyashi repo – http://hitoriblog.com/apt/

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

Solly posted:

Is there some method of backing up and restoring individual apps to and from my pc?

Try DataDeposit, it's in Cydia and will backup/restore apps to your computer via Dropbox.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
Is anyone here having SwipeToMoveCursor issues? Specifically, it's just not working on iOS5? It was working when I updated to this JB for a little while, but now it's just not working anymore.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
Has anyone ever tried iControl? I was wondering how effective using an app like this to increase battery life. From what I can tell, it allows you to force the phone to turn off 3G when locked, but allowing exceptions if you are streaming Pandora, etc. (there is another app called Auto3G but it isn't updated to work with 5.0+). Just would like to know if this is actually helpful before I buy it.

Mr Hands Colon fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Mar 18, 2012

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

Nerdrock posted:

I used MyWi very infrequently, and got the dreaded AT&T text message and email last month threatening to move me to the 5GB unless I stopped. Since then i've only used PdaNet with the 'higher level masking' and haven't been automatically moved to 5GB yet, at least.

What is up with AT&T now? I don't even tether although I do stream quite a bit, and I have been grandfathered in with my data plan since forever. I've have used MyWi a long time ago but this is starting to worry me as I might need to tether for work if I am not near a hotspot in a pinch. Got this last week in a text as well:

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

ICA posted:

I switch off 3G when not needed, even if it is a pain in the arse to do.

Ta.

You can install iControl from cydia and set it to automate turning off 3G/wifi/Bluetooth after X amount of time of inactivity, white list apps that can stay open, etc. I have it installed but I can't really notice all that much of a difference.

edit: just saw you cross posted this and you aren't jailbroken. You will obviously need to jailbreak for this.

Mr Hands Colon fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 27, 2012

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

sleepwalkers posted:

I didn't see it specifically mentioned, but if there's anyone here who isn't on an iPad 3 or iPhone 4S and wants Siri, Spite is the version of Spire that works on 5.1.
I got it by adding http://repo.technetec.com/vip to Cydia, downloading Spite and Spite fixes. If you go the proxy route, https://paradox-productions.net is free and works pretty well for me on my iPhone 4.

Never bothered til just now but I just installed Spire (5.0.1 JB) and used this proxy, works perfectly. Thanks.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
I've been out of the JB arena for the past few weeks, so can someone just tell me this: is there an untethered JB out for 5.1 yet?

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
Is there anything on Cydia to get rid of an update badge?

And no, this is not for a cracked app. Yesterday out of nowhere I now have an update badge on my General app (saying that there is an iOS update available).

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

m0isty posted:

yup, "noOTA Badge" is what you need.

Sweet, thank you.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
Does anyone else have this issue or a fix?

I'm still on a 5.0.1 JB, and whenever I delete an app from my device, after it is deleted I get a bunch of white icons that show up and I need to respring and then put my original icon setup back in place. Not the biggest deal but just curious if I'm not alone.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
How long does it normally take to reboot after you Erase all Content and Settings? I've been sitting here for like 10 minutes and it's just doing that circle in the middle of the phone.

Trying to update my JB from 5.0.1 to 5.1.1 right now.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

1997 posted:

You're not supposed to do that, it will never finish.

There was a big discussion in this thread a few page back about how you're not supposed to do this.

You must restore your device through iTunes, not Erase All Content and Settings.

Thank you for the info, checked the OP and that was in the instructions, guess I missed that discussion. Downloading 5.1.1 now so we'll see how it goes. I started to figure that it wasn't ever going to stop spinning so I just hard rebooted and went back to the old setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
Well that update and JB from 5.0.1 to 5.1.1 went pretty seamless, although Cydia does seem to crash a bit more than I'm used to. AptBackup was great as well.

Anyone have any issues with DataDeposit on this JB? I backed up a game (9innings2011) via DD before I JB'ed and it didn't restore my game progress when I tried to restore it.

• Locked thread