Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Quick question about jailbreaking I didn't see covered in the OP:

I just jailbroke my CDMA 4.2.8 phone with sn0wbreeze, and when I opened up iTunes after installing the new firmware it asked me if I wanted to restore from a backup or set it up as a new iPhone. I chose to set it up as a new iPhone, but was that necessary?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I just learned that folders can only hold so many apps. Is there some Cydia app for iPad that will let my folders hold more apps?

I like Infinifolders. Does nothing but let you put as many apps in a folder as you want and let you scroll through them, so no interface changes or performance issues.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Vykk.Draygo posted:

You couldn't have posted this two days ago? I'm not a huge fan of the UI on FolderEnhancer but I already bought it so good enough.

Haha, sorry. It really does feel like the way Apple might do it so it might be worth it to you if you want something seamless.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Is there a jailbreak app that works like Beyondpod on Android? I want my phone to automatically download new podcasts every morning at 8am.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

eddiewalker posted:

You don't even have to jailbreak. Search the app store. Podcaster, for example.

I tried Instacast and it certainly doesn't let you schedule updates. It just updates automatically when you open the program, which kind of defeats the purpose. I figured that was a limitation of iOS.

I checked out the Podcaster site and it says it can run downloads in the background - does that mean I can schedule them, or does it still require you to open the app first?

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Vertigus posted:

I checked out the Podcaster site and it says it can run downloads in the background - does that mean I can schedule them, or does it still require you to open the app first?

Ok, I found out it only starts downloading scheduled podcasts if you have the app in the foreground. As in, the phone is unlocked and the app is open. What's the point, then? I can't leave my phone's screen on all night.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

IllegallySober posted:

VVVVVVVVVV Okay, I mis-read it. Still pretty stupid.

No, not really dude. It's ok to admit you're wrong without trying to get an extra burn in.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Apps posted:

There are very few reasons to be as insanely anxious for an iPad2 jailbreak as most people are other than pirated apps.

Can you guys quit it with this crap? It's gotten to the point where you're likely just trolling.

There are some jailbreak apps I use that have become indispensable to me, so even just something like SBSettings is a good reason to anticipate a jailbreak.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

randyest posted:

I don't use alien blue ($4 to browse reddit?)

You know you can use the free version of Alien Blue and get almost all of the features, right?

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

maduin posted:

Good news for iPhone 4 users: pod2g has a working untethered 5.0 jailbreak. He says it does work on 5.0.1, but he doesn't have a 4S or iPad 2, so he can't test that himself.

I don't understand, my iPhone 4 is on 5.0.1. Why can't he test it?

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

coldplay chiptunes posted:

How many absolutely essential jailbreak features are there except for the "don't pay for apps" feature? I'm all for a 4S jailbreak whenever it becomes available for various tweaks to the user experience, but I can't honestly imagine donating to jailbreak development or freaking out and ditching the phone over it.

EDIT: Ehh I'm speaking purely from a phone standpoint. There might be more reason to jailbreak on an iPad.

loving Infinifolders. That's the king of jailbreak apps right there.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Anyone know why IntelliScreenX would be asking me to authorize with Facebook periodically? It works fine when I do authorize it, but the program asks again a short while later.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

So there's one single function that I miss most from having an Android phone, so if anyone could point me in the direction of a jailbreak app that does the same thing I'd be immeasurably grateful:

Are there any apps that will check for a new episode and download a podcast at a scheduled time directly onto the phone without having the app open in the foreground? I've tried Instacast, and while it will let you set up subscriptions and periodic updates it will not work if the app is not in the foreground.

If anyone's used Beyondpod on Android, I want something like that.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Jetsetlemming posted:

Instacast will automatically update as long as it's running in the background, it's not always on however; if you've got SBSettings installed you can verify that it's running. As long as it's active at all, even if it isn't in the foreground, it'll update.

Yeah I forgot to mention that, it'll also work if it's in the background but still in memory. That's pretty unreliable though since iOS likes to kill background tasks whenever it pleases. I imagine that to run a scheduled task you need a service running 24/7, which you can't get on a standard app.

Will SBSettings *keep* an app running, or will it just let me know if it is?

Edit: Bought Downcast and it seems rad enough to use as my normal podcast manager, but it also has this to say about running in the background: "For iOS devices that support multitasking, Downcast has the ability to run in the background for up to 10 minutes. This limitation is imposed by iOS on third party applications."

Vertigus fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jan 16, 2012

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Rick Rickshaw posted:

You could use iScheduler (sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who uses this amazing app) to launch InstaCast or Downcast or FastCast or whatever the hell app you want at timed intervals (ideally at night). This is assuming the apps automatically start downloading your podcasts once they've been launched. If so, that just might work.

Woah, that's perfect, thanks!

Now I can relive the joy of having my podcasts downloaded automatically while I sleep, without having to deal with iTunes.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

I wanna give another plug for IntelliscreenX. I've been using it for a few days now and it's become the only thing I interact with on my phone 90% of the time. Well worth the $10.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

coldplay chiptunes posted:

I was actually thinking about making up a post that details the core jailbreak apps, as the spreadsheet is helpful but also cluttered and riddled with old legacy tweaks.

That'll definitely be handy.

Also, I fixed the Infinifolder status on the spreadsheet. It's iOS 5 compatible, and I think it's better than the alternatives if all you want is infinitely scrolling folders with the smoothest possible implementation (no extra icons, numbers, or weird behavior).

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

obi_ant posted:

I have been using FakeClockUp for a good week or so. I realized that the FakeClockUp is a total battery drainer. Even when it's at 1X.

Horseshit. I swear, you could release an jailbreak tweak that makes "AM/PM" lowercase and people would clamor about how it sucks their battery dry.

Maybe it's because there isn't a decent process/battery monitor for the iPhone like there is on Android phones so you just have to guess. Does anyone know of one?

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Godinster posted:

I literally only had FaceClockUp and BiteSMS installed. I removed the former and my battery increased from 3/4 of a day back to a day and a half. I'm not ruling out a bad install or whatever else but I had FCU for well over three weeks.

I'm also definitely aware that it doesn't overclock anything so it didn't make sense to me, just sharing my experience. I'd be willing to give it another shot but it seemed pretty gimmicky to me above all.

I installed 5 Icon Dock and noticed that my phone was down to 60% battery life because it sat in an office with bad reception all day. See how that stuff works? If the phone's battery life can fluctuate wildly just based on how busy the towers are or how good the cell reception is then you probably shouldn't talk about how a program that swaps "1.5" for "1.0" in graphics.cfg is ruining your battery life.

It's annoying because there's lots of internet people who will say over and over again that jailbreaking alone will ruin the battery life of your phone, and when you jump to conclusions over a single app it can actually harm the developer when people read it.

Vertigus fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Godinster posted:

FCU made my battery poo poo, maybe it didn't make yours poo poo.

You're right I probably had one of those iPhone models that's different. You know, the iPhone Galaxy IIs.

• Locked thread