Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just jailbroke my 6 Plus. It's the first device I've jailbroken since I had an iPhone 4. I've installed OpenSSH and Top (hey, what can I say,I like looking at running processes sometimes), f.lux and NoSlowAnimations, but I'm looking for some more things to install (unfortunately, BrowserChanger doesn't appear to work with iOS 8 yet). What do y'all have on your phones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

JiUC posted:

I installed f.lux and it seemed to maintain the tint during the day, so I uninstalled it but the tint is still there..has anyone else experienced this? How do I fix it?

Reinstall f.lux, make sure that a preset is selected in the Settings app, and then reboot your phone. That should fix the daytime issues. I think that the tint remaining may be related to changing the tint settings in the Settings app, for some reason they'll get blanked out and f.lux won't change the tint as a result.

For what it's worth, I was poking around a bit last night and f.lux seems to run as root, which implies that the way they change the color of the phone's screen is by overwriting or editing your phone's native color profile (rather than just putting a color filter over the phone, which is how most f.lux clones on Android work). Since Apple would never allow root access to App Store apps (I'm 99% certain that even their apps don't get it) there's no way that f.lux will ever be in the App Store proper.

That said, jailbreaking with Pangu was stupid easy (I even ignored their warning about installing it over a 8.1 OTA after I did a backup of course) and honestly it was worth it just for f.lux and NoSlowAnimations (man, I didn't realize how slow the animations were before now, godDAMN Apple).

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 31, 2014

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ezrem posted:

Everybody that's jailbroken, check out DetailedBatteryUsage. It's so cool. Going to be very handy for tracking down rogue battery-sucking processes.

Holy poo poo, it unlocks a built-in Android-style battery usage graph. Worth it just for that, but it also includes detailed battery usage details for apps and shows Daemons too. Fantastic.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr Hands Colon posted:

Just installed this as well, as I mentioned earlier my battery is draining like crazy after jailbreaking. The process 'launchd' is taking up 56% of background activity. Isn't this part of Pangu?

Seems to be the iCloud backup Daemon, which would make sense if you restored your phone before jailbreaking. I didn't, and haven't noticed any difference with my 6 Plus.

[Edit: Could also be Cydia, make sure it's updated to the latest version.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Oct 31, 2014

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
On Android, it was standard for a phone to pop up a Windows UAC-esque Allow/Deny dialog when and app attempted root access. Is there anything like that for iOS, or does the way that jailbreaks work not allow for it?

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Nov 10, 2014

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yup, my Electra app is now valid for a year and when it gets closer can just resign it.

I now have the + resolution and the X gestures on my 8, at this point I’m now just waiting for Ryan to update VideoPane with iOS 11 compatibility (it’s not gonna happen).

The best bit about getting the iPhone X gestures is that I can now activate Contol Center with the keyboard active, that always bugged the poo poo out of me.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don’t have an X, but what works for me almost immediately on my 8 (I’ve had to jailbreak it a couple times due to tweak issues):

1. Make sure there aren’t any iOS updates downloaded to your phone (Settings->General->Storage). If there is one, delete it—when Electra soft restarts as part of the exploit, the update tries to run and fucks everything up.
2. Enable airplane mode.
3. Disable Find My iPhone
4. Enable Assistive Touch (Settings->General-Accessibility).
4. Open up multitasking and swipe all the apps out.
5. Reboot the phone
6. Open Settings, go to General, then Shutdown. Once you see the “Slide To Power Off” press and hold the virtual Home button in Assistive Touch. The screen will flash white.
7. Go back home, then open multitasking and swipe away Settings.
8. Open Electra and hit Jailbreak.

The first time will fail. That’s part of the JB process as far as I can tell. Just keep repeating steps 6-8, it should only take a couple times before you’re jailbroken.

Disabling Siri has no effect, airplane mode might be a placebo, but making sure that there aren’t any downloaded updates and that Find My IPhone is disabled (and that the ram is cleared out) seem to be the keys to success.

As for stability, I did wake up the other morning to find that my phone had restarted overnight and had to rejailbreak it (and then do it AGAIN because rebooting an iPhone with a non-native resolution set causes graphical issues). And don’t be like me and try to install tweaks that haven’t been reported as compatible, one broke Electra and I had to wipe it from my phone and start again.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jul 22, 2018

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also, make sure you download Ext3nder and extend the Electra certificate for a year. The cert Cydia Impactor uses is only good for a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

iLikeMidgets posted:

iPhone 8 using the multipath. Worked on the very first try. Didn’t turn anything off or call on the gods.
Seems to be very hit and miss in attempts but wanted to note too that it can just work.

Also which tweak is it to get X gestures?

I use Little X but I’m a weirdo who wants the Homebar and the iPhone X-style status bar.

I may have even looked for a tweak that will fake a notch on my 8, don’t @ me

• Locked thread