Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

Knives and Hot Dust posted:

that is all great and all but I have an ipod touch not an iphone.
Edit: Also OpenSSH seems to be for mac only.

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=3221

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Knives and Hot Dust posted:

I tried it this way but on cydia there are two themes and they are both bad.
There are quite literally hundreds of themes in Cydia, including the most popular, ie Glasklart and Suave HD.

quote:

Transferring files through OpenSSH would be better but you need to know linux codes or something.
Dragging a folder from your PC to /Library/Themes on your iPhone is not exactly rocket science.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Linnear posted:

When I try to enter DFU mode while connected to the PC, it just goes back to that usb and itunes logo.
If you're seeing anything on the iPhone screen, you're not in DFU mode. Presuming you're in recovery mode with the iTunes logo, make sure the USB cable is plugged in, hold down both buttons for 10 seconds (it should restart after about 5) and then keep holding down Home.

Make sure gs.apple.com isn't in your hosts file, don't use TinyUmbrella, and make sure you're in DFU mode before you attempt a restore. iTunes should say your phone is in recovery mode without the "connect to iTunes" image.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 19, 2011

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Linnear posted:

EDIT: Success! itunes, apple, their wires and their devices... are apparently fickle beasts. This is my first time ever having an apple device, so it's all new to me. My desktop PC evidently has more solid USB ports than my laptop and things went rather smoothly. I'm now on 4.2.8, and evidently my carrier settings were also updated, which made the phone work again with calls.
Unless the USB port in the laptop is loving up, most likely the Apple Mobile Device drivers for your iPhone got hosed up. Uninstalling all the iPhone stuff from Device Manager/Removing Apple Mobile Device them from Add/Remove Programs/re-installing iTunes probably would have probably fixed it.

quote:

So, all that panic was for nothing, I guess. I'm wondering if the jailbreak was part of the problem at all. Do carrier updates and jailbroken iphones conflict in some major way? Well, I'm going to take a long break from jailbreaking either way.
The issues you faced have absolutely nothing to do with jailbreaking.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

frenziedslacker posted:

My friend has an Iphone 3GS running a pre-4.0 firmware, unlocked and jailbroken. He wants to upgrade to a 4.0+ firmware. What is the best way to go about this? If I upgrade through itunes, then jailbreak it, would he lose his unlock?
Yes he would.

You need to restore using a custom 4.3.3 firmware that preserves the older unlockable baseband. You can use sn0wbreeze (Win) or PwnageTool (Mac) for this.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

bonzaisushi posted:

What the gently caress is apple trying to accomplish changing the format? That makes zero sense, I do not get them sometimes.

Just guessing, but a bitmap does not need to be decoded/decompressed into memory first. The same reason Windows used to make a BMP out of any JPG/PNG you "Set as Background".

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

So it looks like Peter Hajas, the MobileNotifier guy who was "taking a break" and "couldn't say why" is now mysteriously living in California and tweeted that he was now "working for a fruit company"...

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 3, 2011

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

rivid posted:

If I jailbreak my Ipod, will I still need to give Apple my credit card number just to access the store?

You don't need a credit card to access the store or buy free apps. If you create an account while buying a free app you can select Payment Type: None.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

rsync has been in the default Cydia repositories forever, it's on Saurik's server. It sounds like you haven't selected Developer/Show all packages.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Text message is easy, it's /private/var/mobile/Library/SMS/sms.db on the device, or 3d0d... in your MobileSync backup folder on your PC/Mac.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

EC posted:

Can someone explain what I would do after I unlock the phone? I'll be going to Italy, Greece, and Turkey. Would I just try to find a prepaid sim at each location?
Yes. Even within the EU you're going to pay exorbitant roaming charges if you take your Italian SIM to Greece.

Greece and Italy are super easy (I'd just get a Vodafone and WIND SIM respectively, should be ~20EUR and give you gigs of data) but Turkey has some weird thing where IMEIs have to be registered with the government if you're there for more than 2 weeks. This guide for Turkcell will probably help.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Downgrading from iOS5 back to 4.3 does indeed downgrade your baseband. No, I hadn't heard of it being the case before either.

I still don't understand *why* exactly (if the only requirement is that Apple are still signing the older version, why can't you downgrade baseband with TinyUmbrella, and why did it seemingly only start occurring with iOS 5?).

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 5, 2011

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

I was *sure* that iOS 4 beta downgraders didn't get downgraded basebands on reverting to 3.x though. Oh well.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Whitezombi posted:

I have a 3G that I want to sell. It is jailbroken - 4.2.1 & baseband 6.15.00. How would I wipe it clean and then jailbreak and unlock it again?

Don't bother doing all that, just go to Settings...General...Reset and choose Erase all Content and Settings.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 17, 2011

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

I thought it just wiped out the secondary partition, but now that I remember about everything that gets moved to that partition and symlinked during the jailbreak process, yeah, that'll get your phone stuck in recovery mode.

With 6.15 on there you'll need to make a custom 4.2.1 IPSW with PwnageTool or sn0wbreeze.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 17, 2011

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

That's not true at all.

Not only do both new and old bootrom 3GS devices need SHSH blobs, but so does the 3G *for iOS 4.x firmwares*. They implemented the SHSH check in software for the 3G.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 20, 2011

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

5 weeks or something, from memory. It was jailbroken before I got mine in August.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

It's no help if you just clicked 'Update' rather than 'Restore', but presuming its a 3GS or 4, a restore should have dropped the encryption key and 'wiped' the device anyway. Unless you're :tinfoil: about someone reading the NAND and bruteforcing your key, you should be okay.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 15, 2011

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

I think the confusion is between what's shown on the lock screen and what's shown in the notification center. You can see the weather & stock widgets when you swipe down to bring up the notification center, but not on the lock screen.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 9, 2011

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

It's not confusing. The 3G was on sale from July 2008 to June 2010 before being replaced by the 3GS as the low-end model.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Sistergodiva posted:

Really? Here in Sweden you csn just do it by default and I'm using one of the largest operators here. Oh well, is it disabled in the software? In that case how does it work when you buy a phone standalone and get a operator after?

The phone itself and whether or not it's locked/unsubsidised/whatever doesn't matter. Just the SIM you're using.

The carrier profile determines whether or not the option is displayed, and for those carriers with specific plan requirements (such as the American carriers wanting ridiculous amounts of money or Rogers in Canada not allowing it on a 500MB plan) it will usually phone home first and make sure it's allowed to. Otherwise you'll get a "To enable tethering, call AT&T" (or whoever) message.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Baram posted:

Deleted everything related to TU and redownloaded, noticed that running it causes it to spit out an error log on my desktop where it's saved that lists a bunch of java errors, so I'm guessing something is missing related to that.

e: itunes is the 64-bit it defaults to off apple's download site. java is 64-bit. i don't get this at all. argh.

e2: just uninstalled both versions and installed 64 bit to make sure, and got rid of the 32 bit versions of java and itunes. put itunes back into the normal program files. now running TU tells me there's no 32 bit java installed. do i need to go and install 32 bit itunes and 32 bit java or something? this should not be this loving hard.

You want 64-bit iTunes and 32-bit Java, which should be the defaults anyway.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jan 21, 2012

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Well, you CAN unlock his 3GS if he's willing to put the iPad baseband on it. Just make a custom IPSW with PwnageTool or sn0wbreeze.

You'll probably lose GPS and rely on cell+Wifi triangulation, and it will void your warranty, but I'd argue that's better than an glorified iPod Touch that Apple are refusing to touch anyway.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 22, 2012

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Det_no posted:

Got back into iOS after a couple years of not having a device and I can't believe there's still no official way to backup select save games.
The official way is to have devs store game saves in iCloud where they'll live forever or until the user deletes them.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jan 23, 2012

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Okay jailbreakers, you win.

Was trying to resist jailbreak temptation and gave up. Downgraded from 5.1b3 to 5.0.1, restored 5.1b3 backup with an Info.plist change, jailbroke with absinthe. All good.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The only thing that I don't get is that all iOS 5 beta releases do allow you to downgrade the baseband. Is the general lack of baseband downgrading purely because Apple stop signing the old IPSWs that originally contained it?

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 3, 2012

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

HanabaL03 posted:

First time jailbreaker here. Just broke my iPhone 4 in. I've been reading a handful of pages on here, but what are the best themes I should try out?

SuaveHD isn't a bad theme, but once you theme your device you enter the world of hunting around for and/or making replacement icons for all your apps.

The macthemes.net forums is full of random lockscreens and theme packs if you're willing.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

There is no harm in downloading an app and keeping it on your Springboard. Don't be ridiculous.

The scenario is something like this:

a) Unscrupulous chinese dev obtains hacked Apple IDs
b) Unscrupulous chinese dev buys app on a different phone using your account, buys $99.99 IAP, profits
c) Thanks to the changes in recent iOS versions, your iPhone automatically downloads the app that "you" bought to all your devices and you wonder why it's there.

The "mysterious app" that shows up didn't hack you and isn't a security concern. It's a result of your security already being compromised. Weak passwords, not weak software.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

That's an old guide back when 5.0.1 didn't have an tethered jailbreak.

Use redsn0w to create a custom 5.0.1 IPSW with 01.59.00 baseband and you're all good.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Altoid posted:

I tried this and it worked kinda. My phone is now on 5.0.1 and 01.59.00. But no Cydia... I see a post after that says "Simply restart redsn0w, plug your phone in, put it in DFU mode and press Jailbreak. :-)" but won't that lose my unlock baseband?

I'm really confused. If it makes a difference all I have is an unactivated sim in there. Should I take the sim card from my 4s and use it to activate? Or whats up? It let me get to the springboard but there's no Cydia icon. I even tried a spotlight search.

The baseband gets upgraded during the update to 5.0.1, not the actual jailbreak process. All the custom IPSW did was get you to 5.0.1 while keeping that baseband intact. You're still not jailbroken. Yes, you just put it in DFU mode again and hit Jailbreak.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Damo posted:

I'm no programmer though so perhaps there is a way a program can be written inefficiently to affect battery life.
The code is quite literally nothing more than (duration=duration*0.xx)

code:
%hook CAAnimation
- (void)setDuration:(NSTimeInterval)duration
{
  if (FCEditing && disableOnEdit) {
    %orig(duration);
  } else {
    %orig(duration * durMulti);
  }
}
%end
)

It just hooks into any existing CoreAnimation and overrides the duration variable sent to the standard setDuration method with its own.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Arrowsmith posted:

Hey I'm sure I'm probably wrong, I just remember reading something to the effect that one difference between LCD and CRT screens is that CRTs have to refresh every pixel on every redraw, and LCDs don't have to switch a pixel that doesn't need to be changed. It's probably an oversimplification or just faulty memory on my part. Just trying to contribute to the conversation is all.
Yes, a CRT has to constantly redraw the image at all times. Yes, an LCD only changes pixels that need to be changed. But yes, a fully-black image on an LCD does draw slightly less power than a fully-white image, and yes, there is a "cost" of changing pixels.

But compared to the power draw of the CPU/GPU, maintaining 3G and/or Wifi connectivity, monitoring push services, and powering the bright backlight behind the LCD, the power draw of actually changing pixels in negligible.

The argument that drawing the animation "faster" can *significantly* decrease battery life during a time in which the CPU and 3G/Wifi chips are in constant use and the backlight is on is ridiculous, and isn't going to have any more impact than the randomness of your daily usage patterns or fluctuating signal strength. A single page swipe through an email or web page is going to "update" much more pixels than the loading indicator rendering too fast. And the miniscule savings of battery life can be offset by miniscule gains in battery life in situations where the loading process is actually shorter than the standard animation speed.

FakeClockUp uses the standard MobileSubstrate hooking functionality, is literally one line of code, and is as optimised as a single line of code can be (using faster multiplication operations than division).

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Don Lapre posted:

LCDs use the least power when white, not black.

I'm pretty sure that's only the case for TN panels. PVA and IPS are the reverse.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

A FUCKTON OF WEED posted:

I opened a box I forgot about and found my old 16gb 3G. It's on 3.0 and runs modem firmware 04.26.08. How can I go about JBing this thing with a more modern version of the OS and still unlock it?

Use sn0wbreeze or Pwnagetool to create a custom 4.2.1 IPSW.
http://www.jailbreakmatrix.com/chart?version=4.2.1&device=iphone2

You could also give whited00r a shot. The unlocker firmware shouldn't touch your baseband.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Feb 28, 2012

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Yeah, clearly it was not your mum that updated the baseband but whoever sold it in the first place.

The 6.15.00 baseband IS fine to unlock but it DOES have a tendency to kill the GPS and rely solely on cell+Wifi triangulation. But what's done is done.

I'm a little confused on your timeline because once the 6.15 baseband is on there you CAN'T install stock iOS versions direct from Apple in iTunes. How exactly did your mum update iOS?

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 29, 2012

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Apparently you have to patch ultrasn0w for 6.15 to work on 5.0.1.

edit: ultrasn0w fixer in Cydia might be easier.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 29, 2012

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Or you can just hit the button in the top right of your friends list and hit Sync in the Facebook app.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Xenomorph posted:

How legit is that site?

I would be wary of any service offering to insert your IMEI into Apple's official database of unlocked iPhones.

It looks like these guys have been doing it for a year, but only just recently added AT&T, which is going to add a lot of attention and is very easily spotted since AT&T don't offer an unlocking service at all.

Similar sites have shut down (and had every phone they entered subsequently removed and relocked.)

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 12, 2012

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

It's just rewriting your HTTP user agent to Safari for iPhone. It's a bit of a giveaway when AT&T analyse your packets and see Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) coming from your "phone".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Well, that and a poo poo-ton of security updates.

• Locked thread